Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

Re: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Doubtful. Shogo has made some strides at the plate and has flashed excellent defense. Is Goodwin Shogo/Senzel insurance? Sure.

Saying "bingo" that the Reds have totally lost faith in Shogo after his first 100 abs in MLB is ridiculous.
    What strifes at the plate?

He doesn’t possessed MLB power in that swing.

I am rooting for the guy: but so far I don’t even remotely see it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

GM Dick Williams stated that the trade came together rather easily, stating "Really, there was Naughton to it."

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-31-2020),JaxRed (08-31-2020),klw (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Revering4Blue (08-31-2020),WrongVerb (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Goodwin likely will replace Payton on active roster. Bradley will replace someone like Thornburg, several to choose from.

One will replace JVM on the forty. Reds will need another forty move but won’t be hard to move probably a reliever.

A question is how they fit all these guys in the OF. If Senzel remains out, then it’s just four guys with Winker DHing. Maybe Shogo moves to fourth OF status.

Upon Senzel’s return it gets crowded but who knows when that will be. He may need a rehab period, possibly he’s out for regular season if not full season.
    I showed that we had 39 on roster before, so moving VanMeter and adding Bradley and Goodwin puts us at 40 unless I missed someone.

I'm guessing Bradley replaces DeLeon on active.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What strifes at the plate?

He doesn’t possessed MLB power in that swing.

I am rooting for the guy: but so far I don’t even remotely see it.
    He did look better this weekend. I certainly think he deserves more time to adjust.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

marcshoe (08-31-2020),Mitri (08-31-2020),OGB (08-31-2020),Tuff Nut (08-31-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He is in the lineup tonight though, so maybe it's more like an insurance policy.
    I think Shogo will play center until Senzel gets back, but if Shogo doesn't start driving the ball before Senzel gets back, I would not be surprised if Shogo takes over the Jankowski role of late inning defensive replacement.

9. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2020)

He did look better this weekend. I certainly think he deserves more time to adjust.
    I do as well, but I think if the Reds felt better about his bat this Goodwin trade does not happen.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

That .056 ISO, though...

Goodwin plays all three OF positions, a little LH pop in the plate. 1st year Arb player. I call this trade even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Reds get a legit major league player that can OPS near .800 and play every OF spot and he is controlled through 2022.

This is a fantastic trade.

I also think they have come to the conclusion Shogo can’t hit major league pitching.
    I think its more that they dont trust him to hit major league pitching RIGHT NOW during a playoff chase.

I would be sad if they made those kind of long term judgements based on 100 at-bats right out of Japan.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

14. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-31-2020),OGB (08-31-2020),Redeyecat (08-31-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-31-2020),Revering4Blue (08-31-2020),RiverRat13 (09-01-2020),Ron Madden (08-31-2020),Tom Servo (08-31-2020)

I think a big part of it is they can't rely on Nick Senzel to stay on the field. Not saying it's his fault at all but at some point you got to be available
    Crazy Reds Fan

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

I wonder if Senzel is going to opt out the rest of the season. We've literally heard nothing from him. Hope he's okay!!

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    That .056 ISO, though...
    No doubt it's been bad, lot of weak contact. But still too soon to say it's a lost cause imo.

Back to the subject at hand, Goodwin's slashline kind of reminds of a name that might make some groan but I'll say it: Scott Schebler, pre-2019. But Goodwin is a bit better and seems very unlikely to get as much playing time as the Scheb man did, making him a good role player.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-31-2020),wolfboy (08-31-2020)

No doubt it's been bad, lot of weak contact. But still too soon to say it's a lost cause imo.

Back to the subject at hand, Goodwin's slashline kind of reminds of a name that might make some groan but I'll say it: Scott Schebler, pre-2019. But Goodwin is a bit better and seems very unlikely to get as much playing time as the Scheb man did, making him a good role player.
    And I doubt he has a complete noodle arm like Schebler did.

22. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-31-2020)

They call me "chef"

Dick Williams was eating cereal in the kitchen, when his wife asked him who he traded away.

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  21.1 KB

24. Likes:

PuffyPig (08-31-2020),Revering4Blue (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Aquino was called up to the Reds today. So I wonder if another OF is headed out in one of these deals
    Somebody do a wellness check on Bruce, make sure he's okay

Turn Off Ads?