Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

I see no reason to have Hendrick over McLain (or Abbott) right now. And I’m a big fan of Hendrick.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guys who need to start getting top 10 consideration: Urbaez (he'd be on my list), Noah Davis, James Proctor.

Guys who need to stop getting top 10 consideration: Richardson, Siani

Rece Hinds might be a second half sleeper. He's been a little unlucky. If that corrects and he takes a step forward at the same time (it is his first full year of pro ball), his numbers could jump rapidly. Unlike many of his would-be prospect teammates, he is not flailing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Guys who need to start getting top 10 consideration: Urbaez (he'd be on my list), Noah Davis, James Proctor.

Guys who need to stop getting top 10 consideration: Richardson, Siani

Rece Hinds might be a second half sleeper. He's been a little unlucky. If that corrects and he takes a step forward at the same time (it is his first full year of pro ball), his numbers could jump rapidly. Unlike many of his would-be prospect teammates, he is not flailing.
    I thought Hinds was out for the season?

Quote Originally Posted by dsterry View Post
    I thought Hinds was out for the season?
    Missed that. Well, scratch Rece making a late season jump.

I feel much better about the bottom half of the Cincinnati minor league top 10-- and their overall top 30-- than I did pre-season.

It's a system that's suddenly rather flush with young relief and starting arms and middle infielders.

They're short currently on OF and massive upside offensively.

Still, that's a hell of a lot better than they were before the season started, where serious questions about every prospect except perhaps Lodolo.

7. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2021),RiverRat13 (07-19-2021),UKFlounder (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I feel much better about the bottom half of the Cincinnati minor league top 10-- and their overall top 30-- than I did pre-season.

It's a system that's suddenly rather flush with young relief and starting arms and middle infielders.

They're short currently on OF and massive upside offensively.

Still, that's a hell of a lot better than they were before the season started, where serious questions about every prospect except perhaps Lodolo.
    It's been a good season outside of the Daytona bats. Even on the OF front the T.J.s and Cedrola have put themselves into the conversation. While they won't make our mouths water, they could be the sort of useful players the Cardinals are forever churning out.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (07-19-2021)

Does Daytona suppress offense? I’d honestly just get Hendrick out of there now, if so
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Does Daytona suppress offense? I’d honestly just get Hendrick out of there now, if so
    I think you're doing young players a disservice by avoiding difficult assignments. Baseball's a game of failure. Learning to adjust is of primary importance.

I'm surely no sports psychologist, and I imagine different players would react very differently, but as long as they're in the appropriate league, they gotta put their big boy pants on.

Also, I would imagine the mental support (coaches more attuned to players emotions and organizational psychologists) is there, especially for a first round pick like Hendrick.

I'm also encouraged by the Reds farm system. Thrilled with the successful graduations by India and Stephenson. Barrero looks like he's on the cusp of breaking through. Greene and Lodolo look like impact pitchers not far out. Lots of interesting guys and a glut of successful arms low in the minors. Just graduating India and Stephenson really buoys hope for me. I feel accustomed to lots of Reds prospects falling on their face (whether that's a reality or my perception, I don't know). I don't think the Reds are playoff caliber this year, but I'm enthused by the potential of the next wave.

It's been a good season outside of the Daytona bats. Even on the OF front the T.J.s and Cedrola have put themselves into the conversation. While they won't make our mouths water, they could be the sort of useful players the Cardinals are forever churning out.
    The Cards don't seem to be churning them out these days....

I'm not even angry about those, as injuries have played a part in all three big top-10 guys struggle to develop. Callihan was hitting when he went down. Hinds was showing power. Hendrick's super young. Ditto Daytona's pitchers-- Kravetz, Bonnin, and Roa were supposed to be the top three starters in that rotation. They've started a grand total of 10 games.

Unfortunately, both Hinds and Callihan are out for the season. (Right?)

The others, however, have a real chance to change the narrative on their seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Unfortunately, both Hinds and Callihan are out for the season. (Right?)
    Sounds like Hinds tore his meniscus in late-May, early-June, and this report (from July 16) suggests he may be ready to go soon.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...torn-meniscus/

Callihan had elbow surgery. Sounds like his season is over.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...em/7670626002/
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-19-2021 at 01:59 PM.

15. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They changed the name, but it's still the FSL and that whole circuit nukes offense. Even with his garbage numbers Hendrick has a 104 wRC+. However, the swing-and-miss with most of those kiddie hitters (Callihan and Hinds being the notable exceptions) does not bode well. Hendrick, Marrero, Triana and Cerda have whiffed so much I'm surprised there aren't tornado warnings in the greater Daytona area.
    Last edited by M2; 07-19-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Hendrick has struck out 50 times in 134 PAs. Yikes!

I give him credit for staying healthy, though.

Man I didn’t realize Callihan was out for the year that’s a huge bummer. He was off to a really good start.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?