Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,404

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Gooden didn't sit out 3 of the 4 seasons ahead of his debut. Greene will be the next Finnegan if they bring him up too soon. Stick him in a big league rotation after a limited inning base, ride him hard for 30+ starts, never hear much about him again. The difference is that Greene has had even fewer innings, is younger than Finnegan at the time and has already had a major arm injury. Unless he's going to become the successor to Iglesias, leave him in the minors for a couple years.
    Greene is at a different talent level than Finnegan.

    They must be careful that he’s healthy and they shouldn’t overwork him, true.

    But they can’t put him on the Stephenson/Reed/Romano gestation plan - which wasn’t slow enough for some on here.

    If you leave Hunter Greene in the minors long enough you will never see his best stuff in the major leagues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2020 at 03:15 PM.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    25,196

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Greene is at a different talent level than Finnegan.

    They must be careful that he’s healthy and they shouldn’t overwork him, true.

    But they can’t put him on the Stephenson/Reed/Romano gestation plan - which wasn’t slow enough for some on here.

    If you leave Hunter Greene in the minors long enough you will never see his best stuff in the major leagues.
    He just turned 21. He's pitched zero innings in 2020 as a 20 year old. He pitched zero innings in 2019 as a 19 year old. He pitched a whopping 68 innings in 2018 as an 18 year old. He pitched four innings at the end of 2017 as a 17 year old and that was after shutting himself down as a Senior in High School. He's not ready to hold up to big league hitters working him. He'll be used up before Memorial Day. He might have the stuff to get some guys out. I think he should be in the Reds pen right now. But if he's going to be a starter, he needs a couple seasons building his innings count against lesser hitters who will be less likely to wear him out.

    Dwight Gooden had roughly 350 innings pitched in the minors during his age 17 and 18 seasons before debuting at age 19 and making 31 starts. Gooden wasn't coming off of TJ either.

    Stephenson and Reed were ready from an innings perspective when they debuted. They had other issues. Reed had the Yips and Stephenson couldn't get the ball over the plate. They ended up where those limitations took them. Greene is a completely different situation. He simply needs to pitch before trying to hold up to the grind of being a big league starting pitcher. We'll see where his talent is when he gets there, but he won't be ready to start in the big leagues next year and probably not the next either.

    Greene isn't Gooden, Stephenson or Reed. He's in his own situation and it's not like any of those guys were. I agree he's better than Finnegan, but Finnegan was in a similar situation innings wise except Greene's is much more extreme.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  4. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

  5. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,404

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He just turned 21. He's pitched zero innings in 2020 as a 20 year old. He pitched zero innings in 2019 as a 19 year old. He pitched a whopping 68 innings in 2018 as an 18 year old. He pitched four innings at the end of 2017 as a 17 year old and that was after shutting himself down as a Senior in High School. He's not ready to hold up to big league hitters working him. He'll be used up before Memorial Day. He might have the stuff to get some guys out. I think he should be in the Reds pen right now. But if he's going to be a starter, he needs a couple seasons building his innings count against lesser hitters who will be less likely to wear him out.

    Dwight Gooden had roughly 350 innings pitched in the minors during his age 17 and 18 seasons before debuting at age 19 and making 31 starts. Gooden wasn't coming off of TJ either.

    Stephenson and Reed were ready from an innings perspective when they debuted. They had other issues. Reed had the Yips and Stephenson couldn't get the ball over the plate. They ended up where those limitations took them. Greene is a completely different situation. He simply needs to pitch before trying to hold up to the grind of being a big league starting pitcher. We'll see where his talent is when he gets there, but he won't be ready to start in the big leagues next year and probably not the next either.

    Greene isn't Gooden, Stephenson or Reed. He's in his own situation and it's not like any of those guys were. I agree he's better than Finnegan, but Finnegan was in a similar situation innings wise except Greene's is much more extreme.
    Bottom line, Greene should spend next year in the minors with a view towards the major leagues on opening day 2022. He’s been throwing this year and one more full minor league season should be enough.

    If Reds want to be cautious when he joins the big club give him some relief work for awhile. But they can’t assume that Greene will retain his great stuff until his later twenties. It doesn’t always happen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2020 at 04:57 PM.

  6. #19
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,304

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    I don't think there's a human alive who can accurately rank farm systems this year. Assuming they get back to playing next year, I expect a bunch of kids to come out of nowhere and become the next big thing (whether they're from the Reds organization, can't say).
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  7. Likes:

    Coopdaddy67 (09-13-2020),New Fever (09-11-2020),Old school 1983 (09-11-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

  8. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    724

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think there's a human alive who can accurately rank farm systems this year. Assuming they get back to playing next year, I expect a bunch of kids to come out of nowhere and become the next big thing (whether they're from the Reds organization, can't say).
    Not only that, I wouldn't be surprised to see guys that were legitimate prospects at the end of 2019 fall off the radar.

    It'll be interesting to look back in 5-10 years and see how 2020 impacted player development.

    Next year's draft is going to be nuts.

  9. Likes:

    M2 (09-14-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

  10. #21
    Member SirFelixCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,199

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Coddle thy pitchers, challenge thy hitters....

  11. Likes:

    Edd Roush (09-22-2020),M2 (09-15-2020),mth123 (09-15-2020),RED VAN HOT (09-16-2020),RedlegJake (09-20-2020),WrongVerb (09-16-2020)

  12. #22
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    26,126

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Keith Law just came out with a ranking of all MLB farm systems in the Athletic. I would link it, but it’s behind a paywall. He puts the Reds at 17th, pretty much right in the middle. This is his write up:

    The Reds’ system is holding serve, as the team didn’t dip into their prospect pool for trades or significant promotions in 2020 despite their run to the postseason, while continuing to add some high-ceiling talent in the last two drafts. The return of Hunter Greene from 2019 Tommy John surgery will be big for the Reds, as he’s far and away their best pitching prospect and best chance for someone who could pitch in the top two spots of a major-league rotation; below him, their depth is far greater on the position-player side, especially on the dirt and behind the plate.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  13. Likes:

    DocRed (02-10-2021)

  14. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Law posted his Reds top 20 today:

    1. Greene
    2. India
    3. Lodolo
    4. Garcia
    5. Stepehenson
    6. Hendrick

    The top three are in his top 100 and Garcia is on his "just missed" list.

    Law's much higher on India and Greene than most. He's got Greene at No. 28 overall. Said he was throwing an easy upper-90s last year and has a good four-pitch mix. He thinks India will hit (as a doubles-hitter) and is bullish on his defense at 3B, 2B and SS, in a pinch.

    Less optimistic on Stephenson, who he thinks is going to have problems hitting due to his size and big swing.

    Not a huge Law guy, but I do appreciate his take on things. He's got his own opinion and doesn't just get in-line on dudes.

  15. Likes:

    DocRed (02-24-2021)

  16. #24
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    25,196

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Law posted his Reds top 20 today:

    1. Greene
    2. India
    3. Lodolo
    4. Garcia
    5. Stepehenson
    6. Hendrick

    The top three are in his top 100 and Garcia is on his "just missed" list.

    Law's much higher on India and Greene than most. He's got Greene at No. 28 overall. Said he was throwing an easy upper-90s last year and has a good four-pitch mix. He thinks India will hit (as a doubles-hitter) and is bullish on his defense at 3B, 2B and SS, in a pinch.

    Less optimistic on Stephenson, who he thinks is going to have problems hitting due to his size and big swing.

    Not a huge Law guy, but I do appreciate his take on things. He's got his own opinion and doesn't just get in-line on dudes.
    I agree with Greene at number 1. I think Garcia should be number 2. Everybody else is tied for 6th.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  17. #25
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,438

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Lodolo is clear number 2 for me. Until he does something that warrants otherwise. Guy has no weaknesses in his game.

  18. Likes:

    BillDoran (02-17-2021)

  19. #26
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Law posted his Reds top 20 today:

    1. Greene
    2. India
    3. Lodolo
    4. Garcia
    5. Stepehenson
    6. Hendrick

    The top three are in his top 100 and Garcia is on his "just missed" list.

    Law's much higher on India and Greene than most. He's got Greene at No. 28 overall. Said he was throwing an easy upper-90s last year and has a good four-pitch mix. He thinks India will hit (as a doubles-hitter) and is bullish on his defense at 3B, 2B and SS, in a pinch.

    Less optimistic on Stephenson, who he thinks is going to have problems hitting due to his size and big swing.

    Not a huge Law guy, but I do appreciate his take on things. He's got his own opinion and doesn't just get in-line on dudes.
    Stephenson didn’t look like he ha a big swing to me last year. I was actually pretty impressed by how quick and compact it looked.

  20. Likes:

    M2 (02-22-2021),RED VAN HOT (02-17-2021)

  21. #27
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,304

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Law thinks a guy who hit only 18 doubles in 512 PAs in 2019 is going to be a doubles hitter?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  22. #28
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    14,141

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    People who have access to his 2020 info seem to think he's bouncing back. I hope they are right. We need a impact bat in the upper minors.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

  23. Likes:

    BillDoran (02-23-2021)

  24. #29
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,481

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    People who have access to his 2020 info seem to think he's bouncing back. I hope they are right. We need a impact bat in the upper minors.
    Part of the issue is development, sure.

    Another part of the Reds' issue is that they've focused almost entirely on young bats.

    Stephenson took a long time. He's absolutely had some prospect fatigue. So did Winker, fwiw. (And Votto.)

    Hinds, Hendrick, and company have a long, long way to go. They'll have to mash to get there. Because the Reds have proven so incredibly slow to challenge hitters, they'll have to mash consistently. Prospective hitters earning helium by moving up multiple levels in the same season? That's what the Rays, Dodgers, and Astros do.

    That's not what the Reds do. To their detriment, IMO.

  25. #30
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    14,526

    Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Part of the issue is development, sure.

    Another part of the Reds' issue is that they've focused almost entirely on young bats.

    Stephenson took a long time. He's absolutely had some prospect fatigue. So did Winker, fwiw. (And Votto.)

    Hinds, Hendrick, and company have a long, long way to go. They'll have to mash to get there. Because the Reds have proven so incredibly slow to challenge hitters, they'll have to mash consistently. Prospective hitters earning helium by moving up multiple levels in the same season? That's what the Rays, Dodgers, and Astros do.

    That's not what the Reds do. To their detriment, IMO.
    I think the new minor league set up will speed up the process actually. Now instead of the reds having the excuse of having 5 stops for HS players they only have 3, maybe 4. Hendricks would have started at Low A this year with the old setup, now he will start at high A.
    What would you say.....ya do here?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator