Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

Hard times ahead for the NL Central. All five squads find themselves in the bottom half of the rankings. Pittsburgh (16), St. Louis (18), Cincinnati (22), Chicago (26) and Milwaukee (28).

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-midsea...stems-rankings

22. Cincinnati Reds
    2020 preseason rank: 24
    2019 midseason rank: unranked
    2019 preseason rank: 9
    Top 100 Prospects: Nick Lodolo, LHP (No. 51), Hunter Greene, RHP (No. 54), Austin Hendrick, OF (No. 88)

The Reds have picked in the top half of the first round for five straight years (four times in the top 10), starting with current big leaguer Nick Senzel. Three of them are in the Top 100, but there’s not that much behind them.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

Dumpster fire
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Reds should have 3 first round picks (Regular pick, Comp A, and compensation for Bauer) enter the system in the next draft. That should help some.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

How do system rankings change from the preseason....when there hasn't been a minor league season? Just based on the draft? Because someone had a deadline and no other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How do system rankings change from the preseason....when there hasn't been a minor league season? Just based on the draft? Because someone had a deadline and no other ideas?
    Promotions, draft picks, and trades

Both Antone and Garcia are looking like they should been top 100 prospects. And for that matter, probably Tyler Stephenson. If you look at mlbpipeline's top catchers he could easily belong on that list due to both stats and pedigree.

Couple that with most of our big prospects being either recent draftees who haven't had a chance to show much if anything at all (Lodolo, Hendrick) or are coming off of a long injury (Greene, Hinds) and I think our farm system is probably better than the rankings suggest.

9. Likes:

ochoa30 (02-10-2021)

Reds don’t have much farm depth, perhaps, but they do have immediate help if they want it.

Garcia, T Stephenson, India, Lodolo, Greene are already there or should be soon.

These are some of the top prospects in their chain, who all happen to be pretty close. So the timing is good.

Now they have to fill in below that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds don’t have much farm depth, perhaps, but they do have immediate help if they want it.

Garcia, T Stephenson, India, Lodolo, Greene are already there or should be soon.

These are some of the top prospects in their chain, who all happen to be pretty close. So the timing is good.

Curious: what makes you think India and Lodolo are ready?

Not being snarky, I don’t see why they are considered ready?

India especially has been a pretty big disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Curious: what makes you think India and Lodolo are ready?

Not being snarky, I don’t see why they are considered ready?

India especially has been a pretty big disappointment.
    Didn’t say they were ready. If so, we might have seen them this season on taxi squad or whatever.

I said they are pretty close, which is likely considering their age, pedigree, experience level. India was a major prospect in a big time college program. He hit .791 at AA in second half last year, he’s progressing.

I know the scuttlebutt about India, but I wouldn’t jump to too many conclusions from very early minor league statistics. Some guys need to get comfortable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-03-2020 at 01:10 PM.

You talking about the same Hunter Greene who has thrown 72.2 professional innings, none above low-A and none since 2018?

Having a big Q-rating isn't the same thing as being ready, or even being close to ready.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    You talking about the same Hunter Greene who has thrown 72.2 professional innings, none above low-A and none since 2018?

Having a big Q-rating isn't the same thing as being ready, or even being close to ready.
    You don’t think Greene will be a Red sometime next season? I do. At his talent level I think they’ll want him in the bigs relatively soon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-03-2020 at 07:09 PM.

You don’t think Greene will be a Red sometime next season? I do. At his talent level I think they’ll want him in the bigs relatively soon.
    We have no idea what he is. He was up-and-down in his 68.1 IP with Dayton. There have been glowing reports about his stuff, but that's just baseless speculation and hardly evidence of readiness.

Nothing wrong with getting excited by prospects, but there's just very little evidence suggesting Greene is nearly ready-to-go (especially if they see him as a starter, which I imagine they do).

Greene has missed a ton of time. He didn't even play much as a senior in High School. He's still coming off an injury. I think the Covid shut-down might have prevented a major setback like we saw with Bailey. I'm still guessing 2023 at the earliest unless they want to make him a reliever. He has virtually no innings base under him. I can't see throwing him into a big league rotation without a couple full seasons of starting in the minor leagues if for no other reason than to build up innings. I'd have been fine with giving him a look in the bullpen this shortened season where he really wouldn't have built any innings anyway, but he needs to be the next ace, so let him start and bring him along. I'd shut him down next year after 100 innings or so. Then push him to 130 to maybe 140 in 2022. After that, if he's effective, he's probably ready.

Right now, he's still just a baby and he's hardly played over the last 4 years.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

It’s the same old debate. If you let top pitching talent incubate in the minors for too long, it may never be as dynamic. You miss the market. Once Greene is fully healthy he will and should be on the fast track to the major leagues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.

19. Likes:

marcshoe (09-11-2020)

It’s the same old debate. If you let top talent incubate in the minors for too long, it may never be as dynamic.

Doc Gooden is a prime example. He had his greatest season at age 20. He was good thereafter but never had quite the same unhittable stuff.

For the best arms, I don’t think there’s that much to be gained by a long MILB stay. And perhaps much to be lost.

Robert Stephenson was properly in the minors with control problems. But he lost his best fastball down there. There are lots of other examples. It’s a judgment call. I expect to see Hunter Greene, at the lastest, in 2022.
    Gooden didn't sit out 3 of the 4 seasons ahead of his debut. Greene will be the next Finnegan if they bring him up too soon. Stick him in a big league rotation after a limited inning base, ride him hard for 30+ starts, never hear much about him again. The difference is that Greene has had even fewer innings, is younger than Finnegan at the time and has already had a major arm injury. Unless he's going to become the successor to Iglesias, leave him in the minors for a couple years.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?