Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

Re: MLB.COM Farm System Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    People who have access to his 2020 info seem to think he's bouncing back. I hope they are right. We need a impact bat in the upper minors.
    You can't bounce back to what you never were. The Reds actually have a prospect who was a doubles machine in 2019. Jose Garcia lashed 37 doubles in 452 PAs. That's better than twice India's rate. Even if India pans out, he's probably not going to hit a lot of doubles. For comparison's sake, Nick Castellanos hits a lot of doubles (58 of them in 2019). He was stroking 30+ each season in the minors. Pretty much every guy who hits lots of doubles on the regular was a doubles hitter before he ever reached the minors. It's a type ), and India hasn't been that type. Law's talking about India like he's Anthony Rendon, and he's not.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You can't bounce back to what you never were. The Reds actually have a prospect who was a doubles machine in 2019. Jose Garcia lashed 37 doubles in 452 PAs. That's better than twice India's rate. Even if India pans out, he's probably not going to hit a lot of doubles. For comparison's sake, Nick Castellanos hits a lot of doubles (58 of them in 2019). He was stroking 30+ each season in the minors. Pretty much every guy who hits lots of doubles on the regular was a doubles hitter before he ever reached the minors. It's a type ), and India hasn't been that type. Law's talking about India like he's Anthony Rendon, and he's not.
    You're making too much of the statement. Law's just trying to say India will hit for some ISO without being HR-driven.

And Garcia lashing 37 2B in 452 PA turned out a .156 ISO.

Wee-willy India only hit 15 2B in 367 A+ PA but managed a .155 ISO (5 3B and 8 HR).

Not going to get into competition or age, because the general point is India can hit for power without being Adam Dunn.

Whether India ever amounts to anything in the bigs sure seems like an unsettled question. I do appreciate that some folks with info on the alternate site seem to be sanguine over his prospects (though I question Shawn Pender's sunny disposition!).

4. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021),ochoa30 (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    You're making too much of the statement. Law's just trying to say India will hit for some ISO without being HR-driven.

Wee-willy India only hit 15 2B in 367 A+ PA but managed a .155 ISO (5 3B and 8 HR).

Not going to get into competition or age, because the general point is India can hit for power without being Adam Dunn.

Whether India ever amounts to anything in the bigs sure seems like an unsettled question. I do appreciate that some folks with info on the alternate site seem to be sanguine over his prospects (though I question Shawn Pender's sunny disposition!).
    If I had to guess what India ends up as in the bigs, it's a doubles hitter along the lines of 260/340/430. Around 15-20 HRs give or take and 5 SB with competent defense.

Basically Ryan McMahon. Positional versatility included.

6. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021)

Baseball America has a paywall article that lists 6 organizations who's ranking could jump this year. Reds are one of the 6.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021),ochoa30 (02-24-2021)

That's the thing, India doesn't have a lot non-HR power. Law's drawn a picture of a player who doesn't resemble India. Law seems to take contrarian stances on players in systems he doesn't much care about, or maybe he just doesn't update his notes for those systems. Either way, hitting doubles is a skill India has yet to display. I'll be extremely pleased if he's picked it up because a doubles stroke is something I put high value on in prospects. Joey Votto hit 46 in AA in 2007. Barry Larkin hit 31 in 103 MiLB games in 1986. Pete Rose hit 31 (with 17 triples!) in A ball in 1962. Doubles are worth some adoration.

That's the thing, India doesn't have a lot non-HR power. Law's drawn a picture of a player who doesn't resemble India. Law seems to take contrarian stances on players in systems he doesn't much care about, or maybe he just doesn't update his notes for those systems. Either way, hitting doubles is a skill India has yet to display. I'll be extremely pleased if he's picked it up because a doubles stroke is something I put high value on in prospects. Joey Votto hit 46 in AA in 2007. Barry Larkin hit 31 in 103 MiLB games in 1986. Pete Rose hit 31 (with 17 triples!) in A ball in 1962. Doubles are worth some adoration.
    I get your doubts about India and share some of them myself. A utility guy across two positions wherein the Reds are loaded was certainly his projection, pre-pandemic. That said, while we've seen some of the picture, we all have to remember to pump the brakes on our analysis of prospects because we just haven't been privy to the last year of their development. India's had a grand total of 696 ABs as a professional, with most of those taking place while he'd hurt his wrist. We didn't see him last year at all. Reports out of Prasco praised him for hitting the ball hard and for improved bat speed. That specific praise would seem to auger well for his development. Most praise for other guys was nebulous, if you'll notice. Hendrick was a sponge, Siani was putting together good ABs, Hinds' approach improved. Nothing concrete. Only India was praised for objective, measurable offensive skills (ie, bat speed and power).

They're certainly attempting to shine him up. We'll see shortly whether he's worth the pick he was chosen with.

I think India will be in AAA when the season begins, perhaps as a three-position Ben Zobrist type. Were I developing the Red prospects, I'd push him as far as I could defensively-- India's career line-- .254/ .369/ .410/ .779-- looks much better the farther you move to the left on the defensive spectrum. Apparently, he made real progress in that area of his game as well.

I suppose it comes down to whether you believe ISO accurately captures power, because across 696 minor league PA, India has a .156 ISO.

That ain't Joey Gallo, but it's a guy that has displayed some power.

Personally, I don't care how the ISO materializes. I like all XBH. While we haven't seen India in a while, he didn't produce much ISO in his most recent stop (145 PA) and there are reasons to be bearish, I don't understand why you would try to dance around one of the simpler stats we have. It's right there. He's hit for some power. He didn't bang a bunch of HR.

I suppose it comes down to whether you believe ISO accurately captures power, because across 696 minor league PA, India has a .156 ISO..
    I don't think it does, especially when it's connected to a shoddy BA. IMO, it's the telltale sign of an ineffective hitter who sometimes runs into a pitch. Not a mix that advances well - better pitchers will drop that BA even further and offer up fewer meatballs. That's my general problem with India. So far he doesn't profile as a capable overall hitter, just as an unremarkable three true outcomes dude.

Reds system ranked #12 by bleacher report after the draft.
    https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...draft.amp.html
    There top ten
    1. RHP Hunter Greene
    2. LHP Nick Lodolo
    3. SS Jose Barrero
    4. OF Austin Hendrick
    5. SS Matt McLain
    6. RHP Tony Santillan
    7. OF Jay Allen
    8. OF Michael Siani
    9. 3B Rece Hinds
    10. 2B Tyler Callihan
    I am surprised Ashcraft wasn't on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    I am surprised Ashcraft wasn't on here.
    He's got value, but the board is over-their-skis on him.

Also, it's Bleacher Report.

Not sure what folks continue to see in Siani. Not sure how much more evidence is needed, but we've witnessed three seasons of underwhelming offense; light-ish ISO, low average, 30% K-rate.

15. Likes:

Benihana (07-17-2021)

I still have absolutely no idea why Mike Siani is considered even a decent prospect. He is horrible at the plate.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

My own rankings would be something like…

1. Greene
    2. Barrero
    3. Lodolo

GAP

4. McLain
    5. Hendrick

GAP

6. Santillan
    7. Allen
    8. Abbott
    9. Ashcraft
    10. (Tie) Hinds and Callihan
    Go BLUE!!!

18. Likes:

BillDoran (07-17-2021),Mitri (07-18-2021),mth123 (07-17-2021),RedTeamGo! (07-18-2021)

He's got value, but the board is over-their-skis on him.
    I think we're on our skis with Ashcraft. He's got stuff. I expect some of the more thorough ratings folks to prop him.

Post-draft, I think there's a real chance the Reds have five guys mentioned on at least one top 100 list:

1. Greene
    2. Lodolo
    3. Barrero
    4. Ashcraft
    5. Hendrick

The rest of them, in my order of preference:

6. McLain
    7. Santillan (Does he even count anymore?)
    8. Callihan
    9. Abbott
    10. Allen

IMO, Lopez, Cedrola, Rey, and Urbaez will all see some time in the majors as well.

Turn Off Ads?