Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

I think Game 3 of the Lakers/Rockets is very big or D'Antoni's legacy in the league. The primary reason that I have always argued that he is not an elite NBA coach is because he has never been able to make adjustments within games or within series. He basically is very very good at implementing a system that fits his talent, and hopes it is enough. He has been kind of like a bullpen closer that throws 101 MPH fastballs, and has a lot of success but when an elite fast ball hitter comes to the plate, he still throws the heater. I think this is why when many of his talented teams seem to roll, then reach a series where they go down in flames. Even in the OKC series, I thought they won because they had the better players by a decent margin, but was out coached by Donovan throughout the series.

Coach Popovich would always drive me crazy because of his amazing in game adjustments. Phil Jackson was excellent with adjustments from game to game within a series. In my opinion it is what separates the good coaches from the elite coaches. In Game 2, the Lakers adjusted and was aggressive in getting to the basket....and were often met with little resistance. If D'Antoni simply continues to play the same strategy without real adjustments, the result will be the same as it has been for previous D'Antoni teams.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Tyler Herro being a 20 year old rookie and taking and making big shots down the stretch in the 4th quarter of a playoff game is a thing. Whatever that it is, he's got a lot of it. One thing to make em, it's another thing to be a rookie who wants to take em.
    Two years ago Herro was playing for Whitnall High School in a place called Greenfield Wisconsin.

Celtics make a statement to the Raptors and rest of NBA with tonight's performance
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Celtics make a statement to the Raptors and rest of NBA with tonight's performance
    Boston has more explosive talent. When Jaylen Brown skied over Anunoby and Ibaka for that dunk in the 1st half (https://twitter.com/victhetruth52/st...21613072801792) it made a statement. Kemba dished out cooking lessons. Tatum had a C game by his standards but still hit a few ridiculous shots.

Toronto is a great supporting team that's short a superstar. If his Clippers adventure doesn't end with a title or two, Kawhi should regret leaving that organization. There is zero doubt in my mind the Raps win the title this season if he stays. That team is nails. Even when they're getting their butts kicked they're busting their humps. Nothing worked for them tonight, but they kept throwing different stuff at Boston in the hopes something worked. They're going to make the Celtics play at an extremely high level to eliminate them. Their problem is the Celtics can do that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Maybe, but I don't think they can depend on winning 3 more games that way. MPJ is their best 3rd option, but still a liability on D so he's getting limited mins. If Denver is gonna make a series of this it's gonna be with Murray and Jokic imo. Their role guys are pretty limited. Especially with Barton out.
    So far tonight, the firm of Porter, Harris and Morris have stepped up.

Paul George >> Jamal Murray tonight and the Clippers won. PG13 is kind of their wild card. When he plays his A game, they're a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So far tonight, the firm of Porter, Harris and Morris have stepped up.
    I think they can win a couple of games with their role guys stepping up or be competitive in losses, but if Murray can't get it going against this Clip defense this series is over.

10. Likes:

M2 (09-08-2020),Revering4Blue (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Two years ago Herro was playing for Whitnall High School in a place called Greenfield Wisconsin.
    I think Jimmy Butler deserves a lotta credit for his confidence. Took him under his wing early on and Herro just kinda became a guy. But yeah, it's insane that this kid plays the way he does. Nobody does that, especially on teams that can legit make the finals. No fear at all and I love it.

12. Likes:

Mutaman (09-08-2020),Revering4Blue (09-08-2020)

Herro is jacking up 11.5 shots a game in this series, and hitting them at an extremely pedestrian (i.e. piss poor) 34.8% rate. I suppose if you keep slinging the ball at the basket, one or two will eventually find their way home. 34.8% shooting. Yeah, that's what I want on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Herro is jacking up 11.5 shots a game in this series, and hitting them at an extremely pedestrian (i.e. piss poor) 34.8% rate. I suppose if you keep slinging the ball at the basket, one or two will eventually find their way home. 34.8% shooting. Yeah, that's what I want on the floor.
    He's actually been really good from 3 (.423 3P%). That's spectacular. He's somehow managed to shoot only 20% inside the arc. So, fire at will from distance. I cut him some slack on the interior scoring. He's a 20-year-old rookie. I'm sure he's getting bodied. Yet he's a lot better than Eric Bledsoe so far.

Oh, my...GOD...is TNT's online live channel the worst implementation of anything in the history of the internet. I swear, it's disconnected like 12 times...and that's just during halftime.

I truly hate relatively few things, but this is one of them.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He played 38 minutes tonight, more than jimmy. So however he's shooting, I suspect its good enough for Riley.

Hmn...Billy Donovan and OKC part ways.

Billy Donovan...hmn...did a heck of a job this year...Philly needs a coach...hmn...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

18. Likes:

BillDoran (09-08-2020),Revering4Blue (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Billy Donovan...hmn...did a heck of a job this year...Philly needs a coach...hmn...
    No chance he returns to college is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

I'm not a Donovan fan. Seems like his strength might be getting an underdog team to overachieve. When he had a more stacked team it generally underachieved. Doesn't seem like the guy who's going to take Embiid and Simmons to a new level.

Turn Off Ads?