Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

The case for and against Billy Donovan as Sixers head coach

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...oach-candidate
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Donovan only coached Sabonis (who likely would not fave fit in next to Adams, anyway) and 'Dipo (whose Indy breakout may not have occurred had he not spent the '17 season in OKC, as he credited his time with Westbrook and the coaching environment there as key factors contributing to his rise as an All-Star ) for one season. Playing along, anyway, I'll give you the aforementioned two and raise you Adams -Don't forget, Adams had only two seasons under his belt before Donovan was hired and improved exponentially after that - SGA, Jerami Grant and Nerlens Noel, as young players who improved under Donovan's watch.

Throwing coaching out of the equation for a minute, If we're going to cite a roster construction error by Presti the past two seasons or so, it's the lack of a player (F/C, whatever) capable of simultaneously stretching floor and protecting the rim. IIRC, Grant was the only one fitting the description in the Donovan era since Ibaka was dealt away. Having someone like Myles Turner in Indy, who can do just that, is one of the most overlooked factors contributing to Sabonis's success in Indy. But again, I question whether he would have fit in with Adams in OKC.
    They've definitely had a clunky roster. Presti likes long, athletic guys. Kind of got a Jim Bowden five-tool fixation. Yet I've never gotten the impression Donovan moves the needle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Raptors are playing like a team that has its season on the line. The Celtics aren't playing a like a team that wants to end their season even more.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Raptors are playing like a team that has its season on the line. The Celtics aren't playing a like a team that wants to end their season even more.
    Immediately after I typed this, Boston kicked it up a notch.

Heck of a game. Gotta wonder how much these teams will have left for game 7. Four players on each team played over 50 minutes tonight.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

Celtics more talented....Raptors mentally stronger.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

9. Likes:

M2 (09-10-2020),Revering4Blue (09-10-2020)

Donovan only coached Sabonis (who likely would not fave fit in next to Adams, anyway) and 'Dipo (whose Indy breakout may not have occurred had he not spent the '17 season in OKC, as he credited his time with Westbrook and the coaching environment there as key factors contributing to his rise as an All-Star ) for one season. Playing along, anyway, I'll give you the aforementioned two and raise you Adams -Don't forget, Adams had only two seasons under his belt before Donovan was hired and improved exponentially after that - SGA, Jerami Grant and Nerlens Noel, as young players who improved under Donovan's watch.

Throwing coaching out of the equation for a minute, If we're going to cite a roster construction error by Presti the past two seasons or so, it's the lack of a player (F/C, whatever) capable of simultaneously stretching floor and protecting the rim. IIRC, Grant was the only one fitting the description in the Donovan era since Ibaka was dealt away. Having someone like Myles Turner in Indy, who can do just that, is one of the most overlooked factors contributing to Sabonis's success in Indy. But again, I question whether he would have fit in with Adams in OKC.
    I think it also bears noting that Donovan kept the team somewhat peaceful during Westbrook's triple-double-chasing. While players seem to like Westbrook as a dude, you can't tell me his no-holds-barred stat-chasing didn't rub some teammates the wrong way. I think Donovan gets some credit for holding the team together, and making the playoffs, in the years where he had no choice but to yield to Westbrook's shenanigans.

I can see arguments for and against Donovan. I like him a lot, and I'll be interested to see where he ends up. I think he had a tougher hand dealt to him in OKC than is typically acknowledged.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-10-2020)

Nuggets down 3-1. Got them right where they want them...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Nuggets down 3-1. Got them right where they want them...
    Who's really surprised, though? Granted, the Nuggets were banged up themselves - still are missing Barton, and that's a huge loss - but they had to go the distance to defeat a banged up, out-maned Jazz team. Much like Dallas , Denver can get hot and steal a game or two, but are not skilled enough defensively overall to overcome the loss of offensive firepower and hang with the Clips, Lakers or even an intact Rockets team over a seven game series.

And given that both Dallas and Denver were/are missing key players, I'll argue that, even factoring a decimated Portland team, even as the #1 seed, the Lakers have had a much tougher road to the Finals than the Clips. But them's the breaks.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (09-10-2020),M2 (09-10-2020)

Who's really surprised, though? Granted, the Nuggets were banged up themselves - still are missing Barton, and that's a huge loss - but they had to go the distance to defeat a banged up, out-maned Jazz team. Much like Dallas , Denver can get hot and steal a game or two, but are not skilled enough defensively overall to overcome the loss of offensive firepower and hang with the Clips, Lakers or even an intact Rockets team over a seven game series.

And given that both Dallas and Denver were/are missing key players, I'll argue that, even factoring a decimated Portland team, even as the #1 seed, the Lakers have had a much tougher road to the Finals than the Clips. But them's the breaks.
    Oh I know, I was joking. The Clippers aren't a good match up for Denver, plus they are more talented so, here we are.

Lakers absolutely have a tougher road and Houston will still probably win another game or two in that series.

Danuel House may miss the rest of the series. He, allegedly, caught a case of the knuckleheads. https://newsopener.com/nba-news/nba-...om-per-report/

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Danuel House may miss the rest of the series. He, allegedly, caught a case of the knuckleheads. https://newsopener.com/nba-news/nba-...om-per-report/

"Hey, Nurse! Does this feel hot?"
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-10-2020),texasdave (09-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think it also bears noting that Donovan kept the team somewhat peaceful during Westbrook's triple-double-chasing. While players seem to like Westbrook as a dude, you can't tell me his no-holds-barred stat-chasing didn't rub some teammates the wrong way. I think Donovan gets some credit for holding the team together, and making the playoffs, in the years where he had no choice but to yield to Westbrook's shenanigans.

I can see arguments for and against Donovan. I like him a lot, and I'll be interested to see where he ends up. I think he had a tougher hand dealt to him in OKC than is typically acknowledged.
    He certainly deserved Coach-of-the-Year and a 5-yr extension offer. To be offered only two years was a huge insult, and he should leave. He'll get whatever he wants elsewhere.

Dealing with Chris Paul isn't exactly easy.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Oh I know, I was joking. The Clippers aren't a good match up for Denver, plus they are more talented so, here we are.

Lakers absolutely have a tougher road and Houston will still probably win another game or two in that series.
    But you were/are not wrong. The Clips have the Nuggets on the ropes, and it would be in their best interest to finish them off in the next game. As for Denver, if they hope to extend this series, I'm beginning to believe the National narrative of ensuring that Michael Porter Jr. receives more minutes and shots, defense be damned.

The Capela trade was horrible. He kept the team respectable on the boards and in the middle. Lakers are outrebounding the Rockets 39-17.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-10-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?