Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    F Serge Ibaka
    Super underrated, Ibaka had a near All-Star season this year... and still nobody seemed to notice. He can play either center or power forward, take on the opposing teams' best big, play outstanding help defense, block shots, rebound, AND hit threes at a well-above average rate. He could fit with just about any team out there. He's the guy Philly needed Al Horford to be last year.
    Best fit (individual numbers): New York
    Best fit (team success): Portland

C DeMarcus Cousins
    Nearly forgotten after a year and a half out due to three injuries to his lower extremities, Cousins is a massive gamble. No, check that. He's not. Because there's no way any team would gamble much cash on him due to that injury history. When he's right, Cousins is a game-wrecking, All-NBA type who is a mismatch for just about everyone. He can shoot, pass, and score. Defensively... he can shoot, pass, and score. And rebound. And fight. If you want a true five-out squad and still have some muscle underneath when called for, Cousins is a fun call.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Washington
    Best fit (team success): Miami
    Ibaka was great this year, but I think he has to be in the right environment/team to really add value. I also would be extremely cautious on the length of any deal I offered him....1-2 years preferably. I think remaining in Toronto if they intend on being competitive next season is the best fit for him. I feel a similar way about Demarcus in that whoever signs him better have guys in the locker room that he respects, and a coach with the full support of the FO. Washington would scare me, but he would know before he signed with Miami that they expect a high level of professionalism....and they do not care who you are when it comes to their standards. The question is would he respect Butler enough to follow, or would he bring out Butler's bad side which could cause the wheels to fall off. Some "insiders" believe that Cousins is very interested in resigning with the Lakers, if they do not resign Howard or move McGee.....and the speculation is the Lakers are very interested in keeping Howard, but would be open to moving McGee if they could sign Cousins. All that said, "insiders" are pretty much worthless a few weeks after a season concludes.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Actually, the Clippers helped out the Cavs the most after LeBron left by dealing them the pick that became Kyrie Irving in a salary dump just 4 months before the '11 draft. That draft itself was crazy, as evidenced by the draft positions of several future stars/solid rotation players: http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2011.htm

While it certainly raised eyebrows when the Cavs ultimately won the draft lottery again in '13 and '14, even though they blew the '13 top selection, I never bought the theory presented by some - and I'm not suggesting that you believe this - that those picks were granted as a means to entice LeBron to return to Cleveland.

Even though LeBron returned to Cleveland in '14, I find it hard to believe that the league itself would not have preferred that he had remained in Miami. As one of the most, if not the, polarizing teams of all time -- NBA fans either loved or hated them, no in between -- the Heatles were an NBA ratings bonanza / cash cow.
    That lottery was even more sketchy to me. I would've bought the Cavs pick winning the lottery a lot easier than the Clippers pick (traded to CLE for Baron Davis) winning with only a 2.8% chance, therefore guaranteeing Cleveland two top 5 picks.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Ibaka was great this year, but I think he has to be in the right environment/team to really add value. I also would be extremely cautious on the length of any deal I offered him....1-2 years preferably. I think remaining in Toronto if they intend on being competitive next season is the best fit for him. I feel a similar way about Demarcus in that whoever signs him better have guys in the locker room that he respects, and a coach with the full support of the FO. Washington would scare me, but he would know before he signed with Miami that they expect a high level of professionalism....and they do not care who you are when it comes to their standards. The question is would he respect Butler enough to follow, or would he bring out Butler's bad side which could cause the wheels to fall off. Some "insiders" believe that Cousins is very interested in resigning with the Lakers, if they do not resign Howard or move McGee.....and the speculation is the Lakers are very interested in keeping Howard, but would be open to moving McGee if they could sign Cousins. All that said, "insiders" are pretty much worthless a few weeks after a season concludes.
    With disagree about Ibaka. IMO, Ibaka can play any kind of ball with any team. He's a solid stretch four who's big enough to be a stretch five too. He can shoot and defend in space-- those are two attributes remarkably few big men have, let alone as a package. He's a little turnover-happy because he can handle relatively well. He's not a great passer either. But if you need defense and a spot shooter, he's an easy fit. And in today's NBA, everyone needs a spot shooting big who can also defend.

Cousins on the Lakers is a prescient move by Pelinka. He's a much, much better option than either McGee or Howard, IMO, and would be an outstanding third wheel behind AD and LeBron.

That said, he'd undoubtedly be a third wheel. (He's shown he's fine with that in the past. To his credit.) If he wants to rebuild value and grab some easy cash (ie, "what's best for him"), he should go somewhere where he can be a bigger spoke around which the team will revolve. He's good enough to be a secondary ball handler and distributor (as long as you can live with some high TO games). He can take advantage of that more in a place like Washington. John Wall is a next-level genius at creating scoring opportunities for others. Cousins could take advantage of that. Too, there are few willing rebounders on that team-- he could gobble up as many empty rebounds as Westbrook did in OKC. He'd have the perpetual green light from three as well. In Washington, he could go 25/14/5 in as many minutes as he wanted and never play defense if he didn't want to. He could hang out with one of his closest friends (Wall) and bring back those old college days. The team might hit .500, but he could generate value as a once-again dominant inside-outside presence similar to his days in Sacramento. If he wanted to play hero ball, he could also go to New York and get up 20 shots a night.

If he wanted to win, however, LA is a good choice. So is Miami. Milwaukee would be interesting as well. (Brook Lopez took a step back this year, and I'm uncertain how much of Lopez's defensive acumen is system-related and how much is Lopez's intelligence.) Another tour with Golden State could work too. Signing with Brooklyn would be next level trolling. (He's a good fit next to Golden State Durant. I wonder how much athleticism Durant has lost though.) Dallas would be fun to see, though I'm unsure how he'd work within Carlisle's system. (And with Carlisle's prickly coaching style.) In short, Cousins could work really, really well in any number of "good" situations to make the team better. He'd have to buy into the team dynamic, but he's done that before.

^^^in regards to Ibaka, I watched him up close in Orlando and he was not good. He was unhappy and there were whispers of him not getting along with teammates, and he did not perform well. He did not choose Orlando, and I think he is a guy that has to be happy with his situation or it shows up on the court.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-23-2020)

https://www.click2houston.com/sports...coming-season/

The board is targeting a Dec. 22 start to what would be a season of 70 to 72 games, with the NBA Finals ending in June again as has been in the case for many years, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The person, who spoke to The Associated Press Friday on condition of anonymity because no plan has been finalized, said the possibility of fans being at games would hinge on how a particular market is faring against the coronavirus at that time.
    That's a quick turnaround.

What happened to the thread? We lost about four pages of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    What happened to the thread? We lost about four pages of stuff.
    I think we are in the wrong thread?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think we are in the wrong thread?
    D'oh!

Turn Off Ads?