Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

The Clippers have choked away another massive lead in the 2nd half. If they don't grind out this win, they are going to have a gorilla on their back for game 7.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nuggets have outscored the Clippers by 29 in the 2nd half. Yikes.

just too much sports....did not even realize this game was on...much less completed! Clippers playing with fire going deep into another series.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Who's really surprised, though? Granted, the Nuggets were banged up themselves - still are missing Barton, and that's a huge loss - but they had to go the distance to defeat a banged up, out-maned Jazz team. Much like Dallas , Denver can get hot and steal a game or two, but are not skilled enough defensively overall to overcome the loss of offensive firepower and hang with the Clips, Lakers or even an intact Rockets team over a seven game series.

And given that both Dallas and Denver were/are missing key players, I'll argue that, even factoring a decimated Portland team, even as the #1 seed, the Lakers have had a much tougher road to the Finals than the Clips. But them's the breaks.
    This post has aged well.

The Nuggets cannot possibly steal this series from the (apparently) overrated, over-hyped Clips, can they?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (09-13-2020),dubc47834 (09-14-2020),Kingspoint (09-13-2020),M2 (09-13-2020)

This post has aged well.

The Nuggets cannot possibly steal this series from the (apparently) overrated, over-hyped Clips, can they?
    Who would have thunk that their (LAL) best quality is their Defense?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Won't be unemployed for long. Got a feeling he'll make the short drive over to New Orleans.
    Good. I don't particularly want him in Indy or Philly, not that I believe for a second that the latter would even consider him. The Pels's roster, as it stands today, seems much better suited for his system, anyway.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Won't be unemployed for long. Got a feeling he'll make the short drive over to New Orleans.
    ...or Donovan will make the short drive to New Orleans.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That doesn't really surprise me. His Pacers' teams improved greatly in that regard from the Jim O'Brien-coached era - A low bar, I know. And contrary to popular belief, Vogel had never before coached a team as talented as this Lakers team. Not in Indy - though, a healthy Danny Granger in '13 and '14 would have assuredly changed that calculus - and certainly not in Orlando.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-13-2020)

That doesn't really surprise me. His Pacers' teams improved greatly in that regard from the Jim O'Brien-coached era - A low bar, I know. And contrary to popular belief, Vogel had never before coached a team as talented as this Lakers team. Not in Indy - though, a healthy Danny Granger in '13 and '14 would have assuredly changed that calculus - and certainly not in Orlando.
    There's always the bonus that when you are a player on a team with probably the two best players on the planet, then your job becomes easily identifiable....play your heart out on Defense.

I personally think that would be a terrible fit.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

It's been a good postseason for small ball. Boston and Miami play smaller lineups. What did Houston in wasn't L.A.'s size, it was their speed. They killed the Rockets on the break. McGee and Howard barely played. Essentially, the Lakers were the better small team. Vogel deserves some credit for the tactical shift, because it really seemed to mess with the Rockets' heads. To what adkindo said, the Lakers had a Plan B and Houston couldn't adjust to it.
    Just an FYI: The Lakers didn't go small. They were smaller, sure. But AD is 6'11". LeBron is 6'10. Kuzma is 6'9", Green and KCP are 6'6" and 6'5". Rondo's shorter, at 6'1", but his wingspan is 6'9".

That's absolutely huge across the entire team.

And make no mistake, that size mattered. The Lakers dominated the boards, to the tune of a 25% offensive rebounding percentage and 64 rebounds over the course of a five-game series. It also showed in AD and the Lakers shooting nearly 70% from inside 10 feet and 51% overall. It is true that the Lakers didn't play Howard or McGee more than mop-up minutes, but they're big without them.

Houston's gambit-- jettison all post play and post players-- was proven not to work. (For at least one playoff.) As I said when they made the deal for Covington, I don't think it will ever be tenable over a series of playoff games. There are far too many teams who can throw height at you like the Lakers (and Boston and Miami and the Clippers and Dallas, et al) who will dominate so thoroughly that Houston would have to play out of its mind from the perimeter to stay competitive.

- - - Updated - - -

With Vogel as coach?

That's a pretty easy assumption.

(Assuming buy-in.)

There's always the bonus that when you are a player on a team with probably the two best players on the planet, then your job becomes easily identifiable....play your heart out on Defense.
    While I don't necessarily disagree, let's not forget that Mike D'Antoni extracted as much defensively from his Houston team as possible post Capella It's often been parroted, but never proven, that individual defense as an NBA player = desire. Then again, NBA history is loaded with players that couldn't and/or wouldn't guard a fencepost, who suddenly became stoppers. Johnny Newman, for one.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I dunno.....Zion at the 5 and Ingram at the 4 with enough options at 3, 2 and 1.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

M2 (09-13-2020)

...or Donovan will make the short drive to New Orleans.
    What would he bring to the table for them? Like, what would he improve on that team?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    They're an up tempo offensive team.

Mind you, I think the optimal pick for the Pels would be a younger coach who'd have as much to prove as the players on the team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-13-2020)

The Clippers have choked away another massive lead in the 2nd half. If they don't grind out this win, they are going to have a gorilla on their back for game 7.
    If Murray gets hot, he can irrational confidence The Nugs into the conference finals nearly by himself. He flat-out abused Paul George multiple times on offense in the first quarter and second half. But the key to this comeback is that the Clips just have no answer for Jokic. He's the poster boy for why you don't need to go small. I love Denver's pistol and weak-side overload package with Jokic and Murray on the weak side together. Their mindmeld on whether to dribble hand-off, pick and roll, pick and pop, or back cut is just *chef's kiss* spectacular.

I don't get Doc's defensive and substitution patterns. Murray got hot, and Doc's answer was to put Landry Shamet, then Lou Williams on him. What?! George can't do it either, not when Murray has a head of steam. (Notice that the Clippers did a little of that James Harden double-team the Lakers have been so successful with. Look for that to continue, especially if Porter's not in the game.) Kawhi needs to play Murray all the time. (He picked his pocket a couple of time today when the Clippers were dominant, then Doc took him off Murray inexplicably.)

21. Likes:

M2 (09-13-2020),Revering4Blue (09-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?