Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If the Nuggets win their next game against the Clippers, does that qualify as the biggest win in franchise history?
    Considering the hype surrounding the possible LA vs. LA WCF, I'd say yes, to say nothing of the fact that Barton's loss weakens the Nuggets bench. Also, every time the Nuggets have either reached the Finals (ABA '76) or conference finals ('78, '85 and '09), they've done so as either a 1 seed ('76) or 2 seed, as opposed to a schizophrenic #3.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

That Sonics series is their most iconic moment, largely because of the post-game celebration. Yet I'd be tempted to go with the Game 7 win over the Bucks in 1978 to reach the conference finals, just because it felt like the franchise and David Thompson might have fully arrived in that moment.
    I agree. That '78 team had Bobby Jones, too. And most have forgotten that the '78 Bucks were a very solid team, and this was two seasons before they traded for Bob Lanier. A healthy, drug-free David Thompson could have made a major difference to early-to-mid '80's Nuggets teams
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Oh, I don't think they should move him. But, like you mentioned, Fertitta may be making desperation moves. Might hinge on whether Morey is staying. I'm trying to think about whether the Bucks could put together a package where Middleton stays with them. Philadelphia has multiple comparable salaries.

That Knicks deal might work (minus Ellington), but I'm thinking the Knicks move for LaMelo. They can ball up their draft pick with Knox (and maybe Dennis Smith and Frankie Smokes) to land him. They also can shave ~$40M off their payroll by not picking up contracts and go after some shooters like Joe Harris.
    I suspect Charlotte would accept that proposed deal in a heartbeat.

6. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2020)

I think the only way to make it work is with Middleton in there. Middleton, Bledsoe and some draft assets for Harden and Covington?
    Harden, Covington and Mbah a Moute for Middleton, Bledsoe, Robin Lopez, DiVenzenzo and Indiana's '20 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Harden, Covington and Mbah a Moute for Middleton, Bledsoe, Robin Lopez, DiVenzenzo and Indiana's '20 1st?
    If Houston's looking to ease their financial burden, why would they agree to get worse while also adding two guys signed long-term?

Why not stick with Harden?

Miami and Boston knotted up at the half. Both teams are fun to watch and smart.

Miami's killing Boston with back cuts, while Boston is winning off the bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If Houston's looking to ease their financial burden, why would they agree to get worse while also adding two guys signed long-term?

Why not stick with Harden?
    I'm not necessarily advocating for ANY deal for Houston involving Harden. But the hypothetical deal that I posted would provide a more balanced roster. And the Westbrook deal is basically untradeable, unless, perhaps, New York jumps in. Westbrook to the Knicks seems like such a Dolan-led deal.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-15-2020 at 08:19 PM.

11. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'm not necessarily advocating for ANY deal for Houston involving Harden. But the hypothetical deal that I posted would provide a more balanced roster, and the Westbrook deal is basically untradeable. But, along the lines of what you previously posted, Westbrook to New York seems like such a Dolan-led deal.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I get it. I'm just assuming Houston only deals Harden to save serious cash, not to compete with a more balanced roster that costs the same for as many years. I suspect Morey will keep Covington and Harden, with everyone else on the block.

(I would be shocked if Daniel House is back in Houston.)

This would be an incredibly fascinating trade. I'd do it as Philly, and I'd probably do it as Houston.

We have a couple of fans with a more vested interest out there-- what do you guys say?

Would you do it, texasdave? Would you, SD?
    I would sign off on that proposed post haste. But, WWMD? What Would Morey Do? It was reported that he will be back next season. Is he gonna live and die with extreme small ball? I hope not. I do not believe that will work. Someone has to protect the rim, and grab some boards. They had the prototype center for that. Capela can defend, board and get double digit points with a minimum of shots. That being said, who will be the next Rockets coach. Rumor has it that Jeff Van Gundy and Tyrone Lue are the frontrunners. I'd really want Shake Milton and something else instead of Richardson.

But sign me up for Embiid for Harden being the main pieces. And, I love James Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    But sign me up for Embiid for Harden being the main pieces. And, I love James Harden.
    That'd solve Philly's issues pretty much completely, fwiw. Simmons could play a post-up point power forward and secondary ball handler/ offense initiator. Harden would play point. Harris could guard PF, while Horford could play center. Thybulle and Milton at the 2G to supply defense. Everybody shoots but Simmons-- and he can handle. They have rebounding and defense enough without Embiid too.

Meanwhile, Houston gets Embiid as their bell weather with Westbrook playing the Robin role. (That pick and roll could be lethal.) Surround them with Covington, Richardson (who I still think has something to prove), and Tucker, and that's still a really good team who could well be a bigger problem in the playoffs.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020)

That'd solve Philly's issues pretty much completely, fwiw. Simmons could play a post-up point power forward and secondary ball handler/ offense initiator. Harden would play point. Harris could guard PF, while Horford could play center. Thybulle and Milton at the 2G to supply defense. Everybody shoots but Simmons-- and he can handle. They have rebounding and defense enough without Embiid too.

Meanwhile, Houston gets Embiid as their bell weather with Westbrook playing the Robin role. (That pick and roll could be lethal.) Surround them with Covington, Richardson (who I still think has something to prove), and Tucker, and that's still a really good team who could well be a bigger problem in the playoffs.
    I'm just waiting for Steel or GoReds' approval so we can wire it to the league.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I hate the last-second strategy that a number of teams employ, standing out at half-court and settling for a long three. Is that the best play that Boston can come up with? That play rarely works.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020)

Marcus Smart with a massive flop that's rewarded by the refs. Game goes to overtime which suits me just fine as a basketball fan.

Wow. That was a great game. Bam made perhaps the best defensive play of the season.

Some notes:

- Tyler Herro had a monster game. Nearly messed around and got a triple double. Boston will have to be cognizant of his passing ability. They were not ready tonight. He rebounded well too. More than that, the moment was not too big for him. Kid's gonna be special, perhaps as early as next season.

- Jimmy Butler is a man's man. I'd have doubled him were I Brad Stevens, just to get the ball out of his hands. I'm sure the next time, Stevens will.

- Marcus Smart is a man's man, but he did almost all of his damage offensively. Which is a sentence I never thought I'd ever type. Nearly every guy he defended was able to get around him fairly easily. Both Herro and Dragic (his two primary responsibilities) shot fairly well.

- Goran Dragic ate up whomever guarded him. I'm not sure how, though. He's a step slower than everyone else on the court, and he still gets it done. The Heat needed every one of those plays. I'm not sure if he can continue to be this good. If he's not, Miami will need others to help. Who could that be?

- Neither Kemba nor Jaylen Brown had particularly good games. I suspect they'll both be much better in the next game. Part of that, however, is Miami's defense. Dragic and Butler (and, shockingly, Herro) were able to funnel them to Adebayo, who played like a superman on the defensive side of the ball.

- Duncan Robinson cannot play in this series unless he can play a modicum of defense. He was really, really bad.

- Boston really needs someone off their bench to provide some minutes of help.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 09-15-2020 at 09:43 PM.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),SteelSD (09-15-2020)

BAM! And the Celtics are eliminated. What a block.

Turn Off Ads?