Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Doc Rivers is so overrated as a coach. Style over substance. He talks a better game than he coaches.

And, while I am on my Hater Tour. Kawhi Leonard. Paul George. How did that hairball taste, fellas? Game Seven and they come up microscopic, going 10-38. That goes nicely with that combined +/- of -41.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-16-2020 at 07:22 AM.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I read there are only 13 teams in NBA history that have lost a series after being up 3-1, and Doc Rivers has coached 3 (Magic, 2x Clippers) of them! Also, he has lost 6 playoff series after being ahead 3-2 including the 2010 Finals.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I read there are only 13 teams in NBA history that have lost a series after being up 3-1, and Doc Rivers has coached 3 (Magic, 2x Clippers) of them! Also, he has lost 6 playoff series after being ahead 3-2 including the 2010 Finals.
    Maybe he's a best-of-five guy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-16-2020)

Laker v. Nuggets is going to be fun.

Jokic has more than held his own inside. (I fully expect LA to go big, and play Howard and McGee against him first, but AD will play there as well.) Millsap and Grant can use brawn against AD-- or at least can try. That's a massive mismatch in favor of the Lakers. LeBron vs. Porter is a nice game-within-a-game. The kid's going to learn a lot, at least. Denver may have to use Millsap and Grant together and relegate Porter to a second unit, where he matches fairly well with Kuzma or Morris. Rondo and Murray has all the feels to it-- Murray can be shaky with the ball, and Rondo has great hands. Green and KCP are ready there as well.

The Lakers are clearly superior at two spots, and the Nugs are clearly superior at two spots. The wing shooter (Harris and Morris vs. KCP and Green) may end up deciding this series.) I expect LeBron and AD to dominate, especially at the defensive end.

I assume the Lakers will go back to starting a traditional 5 if Milsap is out there, but I can see AD matched up with Jokic and McGee/Howard with Milsap. Probably better with Lebron matched up against Milsap, but doubt he wants to take the banging early in the game. I really do not think it needs to be overthought....these games come down to the stars and Lebron/AD are simply a more dominant tandem than Jokic/Murray is September 2020. The series does set up for a potential X Factor matchup off the bench between Kuzma and Porter Jr., but I can't see it moving the needle on more than a game.

Lakers in 5.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

One of the things that's standing out in these playoffs is the importance of a sweet passing big. Jokic, Adebayo and LeBron (who's a big and a wing) are a load to handle. They change the point of attack, giving their teams options others don't have.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (09-16-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One of the things that's standing out in these playoffs is the importance of a sweet passing big. Jokic, Adebayo and LeBron (who's a big and a wing) are a load to handle. They change the point of attack, giving their teams options others don't have.
    You may need to add AD to that list as well. His assist percentage over the playoffs this year is 20% or so. That's in line with many PGs (though a step behind Jokic, LeBron, and Adebayo).

12. Likes:

M2 (09-16-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Right on. Being able to comfortably hold the ball at the free throw line, with no big man below, and survey the floor really meshes well with the space-forward direction of the NBA. And I like it. I love creative passing, and Jokic is a joy to watch.

Nurkic has a really similar skill, though not nearly as good, as Jokic in surveying and distributing.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 09-16-2020 at 02:53 PM.

(September 16, 2020) – Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard has been named to the All-NBA Second Team, the NBA announced today.

Lillard averaged career highs of 30.0 points (46.3% FG, 40.1% 3-PT, 88.8% FT) and 8.0 assists to go with 4.3 rebounds, 1.06 steals and 37.5 minutes in 66 games (all starts) during the 2019-20 season. He set franchise records for scoring average (30.0 ppg) and three-pointers made (270) while his field goal percentage and three-point percentage were both career bests. Among league leaders, Lillard finished the season ranked second in total points (1,978), third in scoring average, fifth in assists per game, first in minutes per game, tied for third in three-pointers made, fourth in free throws made (460), 10th in free throw percentage and 26th in three-point percentage.

“Damian being recognized once again in the post season awards as one of the elite players in the NBA is a testament to the consistent level of excellence that has made him our franchise cornerstone,” said Trail Blazers president of basketball operations Neil Olshey. “As challenging as this season was and as many obstacles as the team faced, Damian’s leadership, work ethic and commitment to winning never wavered, resulting in the best season of his career.”

This award marks the fifth career All-NBA honor for Lillard, who was named All-NBA First Team in 2017-18, Second Team in 2015-16 and 2018-19, and Third Team in 2013-14. He is the first player in Trail Blazers history to be named to an All-NBA team five times.

Lillard was selected as an NBA All-Star for the fifth time in his career this season and was named NBA Western Conference Player of the Week in consecutive weeks on Jan. 27 and Feb. 3 after averaging 48.8 points (54.8% FG), 57.0% 3-PT, 92.3% FT), 10.2 rebounds and 7.2 assists in a six-game span. On August 15, Lillard was named KIA NBA Player of the Seeding Games after averaging 37.6 points and 9.6 assists while leading the Trail Blazers to a 6-2 record and their seventh straight Western Conference Playoffs appearance. With three games of at least 60 points this season, including a franchise-record 61 points against Golden State on Jan. 20 and Dallas on Aug. 11, Lillard joined Wilt Chamberlain as the only two players in NBA history with at least three games of 60-plus points in a single season.

The All-NBA teams were selected by a global panel of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters. Voting for the All-NBA teams was conducted based on regular-season games played through March 11. The seeding games, which were played July 30 – Aug. 14 as part of the 2019-20 season restart, did not count toward voting.

So, 4 voters left Lillard off of all three teams. Didn't know Skip Bayless had three friends.

- - - Updated - - -

All-NBA First Team

Guard: James Harden, Rockets (474)

Guard: Luka Doncic, Mavericks (416)

Forward: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks (500)

Forward: LeBron James, Lakers (500)

Center: Anthony Davis, Lakers (455)

All-NBA Second Team

Guard: Damian Lillard, Trail Blazers (284)

Guard: Chris Paul, Thunder (199)

Forward: Kawhi Leonard, Clippers (371)

Forward: Pascal Siakam, Raptors (168)

Center: Nikola Jokic, Nuggets (311)

All-NBA Third Team

Guard: Ben Simmons, Sixers (61)

Guard: Russell Westbrook, Rockets (56)

Forward: Jayson Tatum, Celtics (153)

Forward: Jimmy Butler, Heat (147)

Center: Rudy Gobert, Jazz (110)
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Lillard and C.J. having some Twitter fun at Paul George and Patrick Beverly's expense:

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/9/1...series-nuggets

Couple of 'em:

From C.J.: My last tweet before I finish this glass. They did vote they ain’t wanna play no more. . . But I didn’t think they was gonna go out like that
    8:34 PM · Sep 15, 2020

From Dame: @patbev21 I guess I should extend this Cancun invite since I haven’t made my arrangements yet

8:33 PM · Sep 15, 2020

Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-16-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Derrick Favors is rumored to have interest in returning to Utah as a free agent, according to Jazz beat reporter Andy Larsen of the Salt Lake Tribune. Favors didn't quite work out with the Pelicans, but he did reportedly enjoy his time in Utah and is considering a return. The Jazz could offer him the mid-level exception, but they may not want to give him all of it, so he could be asked to take a discount if he returns to the Jazz. In terms of fantasy hoops, he's proven that he can provide top-100 value while only earning minutes in the mid-20s in Quin Snyder's system, so he'd be on the radar as a potential late-round target as a member of the Jazz.

SOURCE: Andy Larsen on Twitter

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

The NBA has "locked in" November 18th for the 2020 Draft according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. That date “remains subject to change as circumstances warrant,” according to the NBA. We don't have a start date for the 2020-21 season yet, but we know it won't happen before Christmas. We're also waiting for the salary cap and for the NBA to decide whether or not the full 82 games will be played.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    (September 16, 2020) – Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard has been named to the All-NBA Second Team, the NBA announced today.

Lillard averaged career highs of 30.0 points (46.3% FG, 40.1% 3-PT, 88.8% FT) and 8.0 assists to go with 4.3 rebounds, 1.06 steals and 37.5 minutes in 66 games (all starts) during the 2019-20 season. He set franchise records for scoring average (30.0 ppg) and three-pointers made (270) while his field goal percentage and three-point percentage were both career bests. Among league leaders, Lillard finished the season ranked second in total points (1,978), third in scoring average, fifth in assists per game, first in minutes per game, tied for third in three-pointers made, fourth in free throws made (460), 10th in free throw percentage and 26th in three-point percentage.

“Damian being recognized once again in the post season awards as one of the elite players in the NBA is a testament to the consistent level of excellence that has made him our franchise cornerstone,” said Trail Blazers president of basketball operations Neil Olshey. “As challenging as this season was and as many obstacles as the team faced, Damian’s leadership, work ethic and commitment to winning never wavered, resulting in the best season of his career.”

This award marks the fifth career All-NBA honor for Lillard, who was named All-NBA First Team in 2017-18, Second Team in 2015-16 and 2018-19, and Third Team in 2013-14. He is the first player in Trail Blazers history to be named to an All-NBA team five times.

Lillard was selected as an NBA All-Star for the fifth time in his career this season and was named NBA Western Conference Player of the Week in consecutive weeks on Jan. 27 and Feb. 3 after averaging 48.8 points (54.8% FG), 57.0% 3-PT, 92.3% FT), 10.2 rebounds and 7.2 assists in a six-game span. On August 15, Lillard was named KIA NBA Player of the Seeding Games after averaging 37.6 points and 9.6 assists while leading the Trail Blazers to a 6-2 record and their seventh straight Western Conference Playoffs appearance. With three games of at least 60 points this season, including a franchise-record 61 points against Golden State on Jan. 20 and Dallas on Aug. 11, Lillard joined Wilt Chamberlain as the only two players in NBA history with at least three games of 60-plus points in a single season.

The All-NBA teams were selected by a global panel of 100 sportswriters and broadcasters. Voting for the All-NBA teams was conducted based on regular-season games played through March 11. The seeding games, which were played July 30 – Aug. 14 as part of the 2019-20 season restart, did not count toward voting.

So, 4 voters left Lillard off of all three teams. Didn't know Skip Bayless had three friends.

- - - Updated - - -

All-NBA First Team

Guard: James Harden, Rockets (474)

Guard: Luka Doncic, Mavericks (416)

Forward: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks (500)

Forward: LeBron James, Lakers (500)

Center: Anthony Davis, Lakers (455)

All-NBA Second Team

Guard: Damian Lillard, Trail Blazers (284)

Guard: Chris Paul, Thunder (199)

Forward: Kawhi Leonard, Clippers (371)

Forward: Pascal Siakam, Raptors (168)

Center: Nikola Jokic, Nuggets (311)

All-NBA Third Team

Guard: Ben Simmons, Sixers (61)

Guard: Russell Westbrook, Rockets (56)

Forward: Jayson Tatum, Celtics (153)

Forward: Jimmy Butler, Heat (147)

Center: Rudy Gobert, Jazz (110)
    No Bradley Beal?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Lipstick on a pig situation, I know..But the 2003 loss as coach of the Magic and 2010 game 7 Finals loss both elicit 'meh' responses from me, as the '03 Magic were an 8th seed and the '10 game 7 loss to the Lakers occurred without a sidelined Kendrick Perkins. But, yeah, game 7s aren't exactly Doc's specialty.

The following one-liner originated from another site, so I will not take credit (or blame) for it: Kawhi should have remained with the Nurse instead of trusting the Doc.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-16-2020),M2 (09-16-2020),texasdave (09-17-2020)

The Clips collapse exposed, among other issues, an overlooked, fatal roster flaw: All other remaining playoff teams ( and several eliminated teams) have multiple players at their disposal capable of actually running/initiating an offense at high playoff levels, while the Clips arguably have none.

What's more, the Clips traded Mo Harkness, a 1st rounder, a future 1st pick swap (no likely to convey, though) and a future second for Marcus Morris in his walk year, and a player kinda superfluous with the their existing roster, instead of dealing for a true lead guard.

That's on their ballyhooed front office, and Doc's no longer a factor there.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Turn Off Ads?