Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Dave Joerger is out there and he has a great B-ball mind. Not an east coast guy, though. Thibs would have been “perfect” for Philly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If I were one of the many teams with a coaching vacancy, I'd check into his assistants. Seems like good organizational DNA.

One off the board guy who interests me as a potential coach is Raja Bell. He worked in the Cavs front office when they won the title, he's got a big basketball brain and he's hard-nosed.
    Bell said last week on a podcast that he gets calls every year. Says he has no interest at this time; too much grind required (though a big bag of money can change lots of things). I didn't realize this until I heard the podcast, but apparently he worked in the Cavs front office for a while before going the NBA analyst route. He's super sharp and articulate, and I think he has a bright future in media. Between his money from a dozen years in the NBA and his current gig with The Ringer I wouldn't imagine he'll needneed the money that might force him into coaching. He'll be an interesting guy to follow over the next 5-10 years.

4. Likes:

M2 (09-09-2020),Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Krono beat me to it but I’ll add I don’t think he would ever come back and never took the job either time it was offered because of the fishbowl that is Kentucky. It’s what ruined Billy Gillespie and the fact you are more than a coach but also a public figure.

He actually left for the NBA I think in large part due to recruiting. Think he got burnt out on it and especially having to go against Calipari as well. I see Indiana and Kansas being possibilities but they kinda fit the fishbowl narrative too.
    He's somehow only 55-years-old. I wonder if he might dabble in NBA media (or maybe even college). Surely, he's got enough cash to not have to do anything, and I'm not sure why you'd throw yourself into a pressure cooker like Lexington or Lawrence. He's been to the mountain top. He's a hall of fame college coach. And with college ball, a career-tarnishing scandal is always right around the corner.

I thought Donovan was one of the five best coaches in the NBA. I'd be ecstatic to have him replace Stotts as the Blazers coach. I thought Donovan squeezed a lot out of some uneven, transitional OKC rosters. Presti's great, but they've been rebuilding on the fly since Durant departed with mismatched pieces and parts, including trying to build around Westbrook for four seasons. I hope some stable organization gives him 10 years to cook. I think he'd build a championship contender.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    He's somehow only 55-years-old. I wonder if he might dabble in NBA media (or maybe even college). Surely, he's got enough cash to not have to do anything, and I'm not sure why you'd throw yourself into a pressure cooker like Lexington or Lawrence. He's been to the mountain top. He's a hall of fame college coach. And with college ball, a career-tarnishing scandal is always right around the corner.

I thought Donovan was one of the five best coaches in the NBA. I'd be ecstatic to have him replace Stotts as the Blazers coach. I thought Donovan squeezed a lot out of some uneven, transitional OKC rosters. Presti's great, but they've been rebuilding on the fly since Durant departed with mismatched pieces and parts, including trying to build around Westbrook for four seasons. I hope some stable organization gives him 10 years to cook. I think he'd build a championship contender.
    I agree...probably a Top 5 coach in the NBA. From the sounds of it, he still wants to coach. He just didn't want to commit to a rebuild, nor should he have to. I think OKC agreed, which is why the "mutually" agreed to part ways. As an IU guy, I woul dlove to have in at Indiana, I don't know if they'd be willing to let Miller go and eat all that money they are giving him. I think most would agree that Donovan is an upgrade, but the money has to work as well!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Krono beat me to it but I’ll add I don’t think he would ever come back and never took the job either time it was offered because of the fishbowl that is Kentucky. It’s what ruined Billy Gillespie and the fact you are more than a coach but also a public figure.

He actually left for the NBA I think in large part due to recruiting. Think he got burnt out on it and especially having to go against Calipari as well. I see Indiana and Kansas being possibilities but they kinda fit the fishbowl narrative too.
    I honestly do not even recall him being offered UK...I assume it was shortly after his B2B championships @ UF? I was just speculating, and thought understanding how Pitino was kind of "bigger than basketball" while he was there with him, it might be attractive. Honestly, with the caveat that I have not clue what he wants....just do not see him interested in a school like Kansas or Indiana. I saw Providence was mentioned, and while that would be super cool....just do not see them ever being able to pay him. Like everyone else, I assume he will either take a sabbatical (get paid a lot of money in a media gig) or pick the best NBA opportunity. If he does not think the ideal job is out there now, I would advise him to take the former path until it does open....as he can probably be very selective right now. If he does not have success at his next stop, he likely will not be able to be as selective the next time.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Can't put Donovan in the top 10, let alone the top 5. In no specific order - Kerr, Pop, Spo, Stevens, Nurse, Bud, Doc, Vogel, D'Antoni and Carlisle all seem like easy picks in front of him. I'd take guys like Casey and Stotts too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Dave Joerger is out there and he has a great B-ball mind. Not an east coast guy, though. Thibs would have been “perfect” for Philly.
    He may ultimately rub front offices he wrong way, but there's no denying the fact that Joerger's teams consistently outperform their perceived overall roster talent. Which is why he was my first choice to succeed Vogel in Indiana, and why I believe that he'd do well in Indiana should he be chosen to succeed McMillan.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't put Donovan in the top 10, let alone the top 5. In no specific order - Kerr, Pop, Spo, Stevens, Nurse, Bud, Doc, Vogel, D'Antoni and Carlisle all seem like easy picks in front of him. I'd take guys like Casey and Stotts too.
    None of the above are available, though, except Donovan.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I honestly do not even recall him being offered UK...I assume it was shortly after his B2B championships @ UF? I was just speculating, and thought understanding how Pitino was kind of "bigger than basketball" while he was there with him, it might be attractive. Honestly, with the caveat that I have not clue what he wants....just do not see him interested in a school like Kansas or Indiana. I saw Providence was mentioned, and while that would be super cool....just do not see them ever being able to pay him. Like everyone else, I assume he will either take a sabbatical (get paid a lot of money in a media gig) or pick the best NBA opportunity. If he does not think the ideal job is out there now, I would advise him to take the former path until it does open....as he can probably be very selective right now. If he does not have success at his next stop, he likely will not be able to be as selective the next time.
    2009:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tory?id=402207

2007:

https://www.chron.com/sports/college...da-1672295.php
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I agree...probably a Top 5 coach in the NBA. From the sounds of it, he still wants to coach. He just didn't want to commit to a rebuild, nor should he have to. I think OKC agreed, which is why the "mutually" agreed to part ways. As an IU guy, I woul dlove to have in at Indiana, I don't know if they'd be willing to let Miller go and eat all that money they are giving him. I think most would agree that Donovan is an upgrade, but the money has to work as well!
    To be fair, Donavan would be upgrade over most current NCAA coaches, not that I'm dissatisfied with Miller - But that's a topic for another thread. But the bottom-line is that he didn't jump when both the IU and Louisville jobs were open - and make no mistake about it, Donavan could have been just as dominant at either of the aforementioned schools as he could have been at UK or Kansas, no logical argument otherwise.

IU, I know for a fact pursued him heavily and the interest was mutual, but the sticking point wasn't money. Rather, Donovan would have been forced to leave OKC before the '17 Playoffs (wasn't happening), and Sam Presti sold Donovan on a plan of a quick reload to contention, which never materialized.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (09-09-2020),dubc47834 (09-09-2020)

Top 5 was probably too strong, but I'd take him over Pop, Vogel and D'Antoni for sure. Probably prefer him over Doc and Carlisle as well. I lost a lot of faith in Stotts this year. I think you'd be crazy to prefer him over Donovan.

Coach preference is a taste thing too. D'Antoni has won a lot, except for when he hasn't, but I'd hate to root for that Rockets offense for 82 games (no offense, texasdave).

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Top 5 was probably too strong, but I'd take him over Pop, Vogel and D'Antoni for sure. Probably prefer him over Doc and Carlisle as well. I lost a lot of faith in Stotts this year. I think you'd be crazy to prefer him over Donovan.

Coach preference is a taste thing too. D'Antoni has won a lot, except for when he hasn't, but I'd hate to root for that Rockets offense for 82 games (no offense, texasdave).
    I'm low on Donovan. Didn't win big with marquee talent. Hasn't been great at unlocking younger players. Just look at what Nate McMillan did with Dipo and Sabonis compared to Donovan. I thought this was his best season, taking a veteran roster and having it grind out close wins. Wouldn't want him for a rebuild or a contender. Maybe he'd be able to wring something out of a team like the Bulls.

This 1st quarter of this Celtics-Raptors game in one image:

I'm low on Donovan. Didn't win big with marquee talent. Hasn't been great at unlocking younger players. Just look at what Nate McMillan did with Dipo and Sabonis compared to Donovan. I thought this was his best season, taking a veteran roster and having it grind out close wins. Wouldn't want him for a rebuild or a contender. Maybe he'd be able to wring something out of a team like the Bulls.
    Donovan only coached Sabonis (who likely would not fave fit in next to Adams, anyway) and 'Dipo (whose Indy breakout may not have occurred had he not spent the '17 season in OKC, as he credited his time with Westbrook and the coaching environment there as key factors contributing to his rise as an All-Star ) for one season. Playing along, anyway, I'll give you the aforementioned two and raise you Adams -Don't forget, Adams had only two seasons under his belt before Donovan was hired and improved exponentially after that - SGA, Jerami Grant and Nerlens Noel, as young players who improved under Donovan's watch.

Throwing coaching out of the equation for a minute, If we're going to cite a roster construction error by Presti the past two seasons or so, it's the lack of a player (F/C, whatever) capable of simultaneously stretching floor and protecting the rim. IIRC, Grant was the only one fitting the description in the Donovan era since Ibaka was dealt away. Having someone like Myles Turner in Indy, who can do just that, is one of the most overlooked factors contributing to Sabonis's success in Indy. But again, I question whether he would have fit in with Adams in OKC.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-09-2020 at 08:23 PM.

This Bucks team has misfired in the playoffs twice. They've got to change it up. Eric Bledsoe has got to go. This also might be the right time to cash in on Brook Lopez. This is another team where I'm like "why didn't you get Kemba?"
    Well, other than traveling back in time with Doc's Delorean to resign Brogdan - injury-prone as he seemed; luxury tax be damned - even if it meant parting with either Hill or Bledsoe, I, too, wouldn't be averse to cashing in on Lopez and playing Giannis the majority of the time as a de facto 5 with, for example, Danillo Galllinari (signed as a FA) at the 4.

19. Likes:

M2 (09-09-2020)

Scuttlebutt regarding the Pacers:

- The decision to dismiss McMillan reportedly originated from the owner following exit player interviews.

- Oladipo and Brogdan reportedly do not get along, with tempers fairing during their playoff series with Miami, leading "Dipo to request a trade.

- The name beginning to gain the most traction in the Pacer's coaching search: Spurs assistant, Becky Hammon, as several Spurs and former Spurs - Pau Gasol, for example - swear by her.

Turn Off Ads?