Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Elton Brand needs to start blowing up Masai Ujiri's phone right now and making offers for Kyle Lowry.
    Van Fleet is a free agent. Can Ujiri really afford to deal Lowry?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Surprise, surprise. Marcus Smart with another defensive gem in the last minute of a close game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Van Fleet is a free agent. Can Ujiri really afford to deal Lowry?
    If Vanvleet stays, they've got PG covered. If he goes, they need to rebuild and Lowry has an expiring contract. I have no idea if Philly could make the deal. My assumption is there will be a line of teams seeking Lowry (Dallas, the Clippers, Phoenix, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Orlando, Chicago and New York). But he's from Philly and he's 100% of what the Sixers need.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If Vanvleet stays, they've got PG covered. If he goes, they need to rebuild and Lowry has an expiring contract. I have no idea if Philly could make the deal. My assumption is there will be a line of teams seeking Lowry (Dallas, the Clippers, Phoenix, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Orlando, Chicago and New York). But he's from Philly and he's 100% of what the Sixers need.
    I think there is a decent chance they let Van Fleet walk, and also move Lowry....a lot will depend on if Nurse is up for a rebuild challenge.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think there is a decent chance they let Van Fleet walk, and also move Lowry....a lot will depend on if Nurse is up for a rebuild challenge.
    Seems like the lesson from these playoffs is Spicy P and FVV are great supporting players, but not guys who will lead you to a title. They're already paying Siakam like he's a stud and if they do the same for Vanvleet, they're a bit locked in to a mid-tier existence. Their best move might be a sign-and-trade where they pick up younger/cheaper guys and maybe some draft assets.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (09-12-2020),Revering4Blue (09-12-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

That's a much better idea than overpaying for Chris Paul, IMO. And Toronto's going to have a big man void with Ibaka and Gasol headed for free agency. Perhaps a deal centered around Horford, Smith a first and a second would get the ball rolling.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

How's the Greek neighborhood in Toronto?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    She wore gloves.
    His wife hopes he did also!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    His wife hopes he did also!
    She's used to it.

It'll be interesting to see how Boston defends Miami's dribble handoff between Miami bigs (Bam, Olynyk, Iguodala, and Crowder) and their wings (Robinson, Herro, Dragic, and Butler). Milwaukee was largely able to keep Robinson from killing them, but Butler feasted against lesser defenders. Too, his patience with the ball meant bigs had mismatches pretty much all the time. Those three killed the Bucks.

Boston initiates with a high pick and roll for their wings. Miami had very few answers for that in their last meeting, fwiw. I'm betting Stevens revisits that. It'll help that Butler plays this game, as he's a defensive stopper. I'm not sure who he'll guard-- I'm guessing Brown. But I'd be lying if I wasn't really looking forward to a possible Marcus Smart/ Jimmy Butler alpha male spitting contest.

For Miami, Duncan Robinson has to show out. He was okay against the Pacers, then disappointing against Milwaukee. He struggled against Celtic wings for two games, then played well in their last outing. Iguodala may play a lot in their series if Robinson can't get untracked, and he just doesn't move defenses the way Robinson does. And Herro has little chance to play well in this series, as all of Boston's main defenders for him are clearly better. (Miami's going to have a really interesting choice between Herro and Kendrick Nunn in this series. I think I'd go Nunn first, but Herro may have found something that Spo and the Heat love.)

For Boston, Marcus Smart has to continue to shoot well. He also has to keep care of the basketball-- which is a real problem for him at times. (And may well be a major issue against Miami.) He's a three-position salve for Stevens and can guard anyone in the league. No doubt he can give Butler fits-- if he can stay in the game and not get stupid. (Boston's game-inside-the-game depends on whether Hayward is healthy enough to play. If he's hobbled even a little, Miami will kill him. Can Stevens bench him for Smart?)

14. Likes:

Betterread (09-13-2020),M2 (09-12-2020),Revering4Blue (09-13-2020)

I suspect the Celtics will be ruthless about going at Herro. Also possible they'll go at Butler and try to get him in foul trouble. If Hayward comes back, that's a lot of offense - not just shooting, but ball movement. On the other end, Bam's going to be tough to contain.

I suspect the Celtics will be ruthless about going at Herro. Also possible they'll go at Butler and try to get him in foul trouble. If Hayward comes back, that's a lot of offense - not just shooting, but ball movement. On the other end, Bam's going to be tough to contain.
    I suspect Herro won't play much. And if their plan is to go at Butler, that's a good deal for Miami. He's a defensive stopper.

On another note, the Lakers pretty much destroyed the Rockets. Small ball worked for a series against another three-guard team and for a game against LA, but the longer a good team played against them, the more it was exposed as a system that just could not work. It'll be fascinating to see what Morey tries next.

17. Likes:

texasdave (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect Herro won't play much. And if their plan is to go at Butler, that's a good deal for Miami. He's a defensive stopper.

On another note, the Lakers pretty much destroyed the Rockets. Small ball worked for a series against another three-guard team and for a game against LA, but the longer a good team played against them, the more it was exposed as a system that just could not work. It'll be fascinating to see what Morey tries next.
    Butler also gets hotheaded. I think he's great and underrated, but it is possible the Jay-Jays can take him. They went at Siakam and left him for slag. Butler's a much tougher nut to crack (though Siakam owns a ring), but most series come down to whose stars beat the other guys' stars.

It's been a good postseason for small ball. Boston and Miami play smaller lineups. What did Houston in wasn't L.A.'s size, it was their speed. They killed the Rockets on the break. McGee and Howard barely played. Essentially, the Lakers were the better small team. Vogel deserves some credit for the tactical shift, because it really seemed to mess with the Rockets' heads. To what adkindo said, the Lakers had a Plan B and Houston couldn't adjust to it.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-13-2020)

D'Antoni tells Rockets he is not returning.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    D'Antoni tells Rockets he is not returning.
    Won't be unemployed for long. Got a feeling he'll make the short drive over to New Orleans.

Turn Off Ads?