Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cardinals losing to the Bucs 4-1.
    The Pirates are due.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (09-17-2020),Old school 1983 (09-17-2020),SirFelixCat (09-18-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I mean if you expect Galvis' .206 BABIP to continue than yeah there is no difference in the offensive game, but I think Galvis has much more potential with the bat at least this season. I love Garcia's energy and defense, but I'm not sure the Reds can forgo any offense now.
    Galvis at his best is a sub .300 OBP. Its not worth the drop in defense. Not at SS. if they were leftfielders, sure, I'd take Galvis occasional dinger, but they aren't. They are defense first players, but at SS, one isn't really all that good at defense. I think Galvis is a pretty good defender at 2B but at SS there is no contest between the two. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-18-2020),Revering4Blue (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Galvis at his best is a sub .300 OBP. Its not worth the drop in defense. Not at SS. if they were leftfielders, sure, I'd take Galvis occasional dinger, but they aren't. They are defense first players, but at SS, one isn't really all that good at defense. I think Galvis is a pretty good defender at 2B but at SS there is no contest between the two. .
    Galvis has been terrible as SS this year. So much so, that when when the Reds do play him, they now play him at 2B.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-17-2020)

Pirates beat Cards in Pittsburgh. Cards 3-7 over last ten games.

On the road especially, Cards are going to lose some games.

They have so many games packed into a short period, including road games, maybe the experts are overrating their chances.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-17-2020)

Mets tied with Phillies in the 7th.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

How messed up is it that -- in the span of barely a week -- I've gone from resigned to an early end to the 2020 season to actually looking at seeding possibilities and determining that it's wrong to root for the 5th seed, and much better to aim for the #6 or #7?

I mean, beggars shouldn't be choosers and with our starting rotation (and a suddenly satisfactory bullpen), I actually think anything is possible in the first, short series. But as a 5-seed, you're probably looking at the Padres, and then, if you get past them, you're looking at the Dodgers (the 8-seed bypasses the whole Padre issue by putting you up against the Dodgers, so: also not good).

Make no mistake: any meaningful baseball in October would be a welcome development! But is anybody really able to block out the fact that the Cubs and Braves are simply NOT the Dodgers and Padres, as far as quality of opponents goes?

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-17-2020),M2 (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-17-2020),Ron Madden (09-17-2020)

5-1 Pirates over Cards.

BOX

14. Likes:

RBA (09-18-2020),Tom Servo (09-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    How messed up is it that -- in the span of barely a week -- I've gone from resigned to an early end to the 2020 season to actually looking at seeding possibilities and determining that it's wrong to root for the 5th seed, and much better to aim for the #6 or #7?

I mean, beggars shouldn't be choosers and with our starting rotation (and a suddenly satisfactory bullpen), I actually think anything is possible in the first, short series. But as a 5-seed, you're probably looking at the Padres, and then, if you get past them, you're looking at the Dodgers (the 8-seed bypasses the whole Padre issue by putting you up against the Dodgers, so: also not good).

Make no mistake: any meaningful baseball in October would be a welcome development! But is anybody really able to block out the fact that the Cubs and Braves are simply NOT the Dodgers and Padres, as far as quality of opponents goes?
    If the season ended tonight the Reds would be the #6 seed, they would play the #3 seed Braves in a best of 3 series in Atlanta.

Mets beat Phillies 10-6
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-17-2020 at 11:23 PM.

16. Likes:

FlightRick (09-18-2020),Kingspoint (09-17-2020),RBA (09-18-2020)

Looks like it was a good day for the Redlegs what with the Cardinals losing and the Phillies and Marlins both dropping their games to boot! Too bad the Mariners stunk it up and blew that lead against the Giants who continue to lurk in that wild card spot.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-18-2020),Ron Madden (09-18-2020)

9 games remaining - 09/17/2020
    NL Central 1st - -5.5 Games
    NL Central 2nd - +0.5 Games
    NL Wild Card #1 - -1.0 Games
    NL Wild Card #2 - +/- 0 Games

If playoffs begin today, the NL would be the following...

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
    2. Chicago Cubs
    3. Atlanta Braves
    4. San Diego Padres
    5. Miami Marlins
    6. Cincinnati Reds
    7. San Francisco Giants
    8. Philadelphia Phillies

The Reds offseason would begin with a 3 game series @ the Atlanta Braves.

1. Angeles Dodgers
    8. Philadelphia Phillies

5. Miami Marlins
    4. San Diego Padres

6. Cincinnati Reds
    3. Atlanta Braves

7. San Francisco Giants
    2. Chicago Cubs

The winner of the first series would play the winner of the Cubs & Giants in a 5 game series in Texas...or at least this how I think it is structured. If so, the team that emerges from the bottom of bracket would only have to likely play the Dodgers or Padres, not both.
    Last edited by adkindo; 09-18-2020 at 02:35 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

20. Likes:

goreds2 (09-18-2020),HammerTime (09-18-2020)

Cards get 3-hit in a CG by Brault...love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Pirates beat Cards in Pittsburgh. Cards 3-7 over last ten games.

On the road especially, Cards are going to lose some games.

They have so many games packed into a short period, including road games, maybe the experts are overrating their chances.
    They are a disciplined, well managed team. I don’t think the packed schedule will be a problem for them. The Reds on the other hand just swept a 4 game series against a terrible Pirates team, and they didn’t do it commandingly: the offense still looks very weak. And six out of the last 9 games are against good, well managed AL teams. I’m much more worried about the Reds schedule than the Cards.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    They are a disciplined, well managed team. I don’t think the packed schedule will be a problem for them. The Reds on the other hand just swept a 4 game series against a terrible Pirates team, and they didn’t do it commandingly: the offense still looks very weak. And six out of the last 9 games are against good, well managed AL teams. I’m much more worried about the Reds schedule than the Cards.
    Agree, but hopefully Twins take their foot off the gas for that last series.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Hopefully the fact that the Reds face a starter tonight that has thrown less than 4 innings above A ball helps get the offense humming down the stretch. Suarez coming back would also be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Hopefully the fact that the Reds face a starter tonight that has thrown less than 4 innings above A ball helps get the offense humming down the stretch. Suarez coming back would also be huge.
    On the other hand, it would be very on-brand if they struggled against that kind of guy.

26. Likes:

M2 (09-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?