Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

I'm getting bad memories of the end of the 99 season, needing to win 2 of 3 in MIL to clinch the WC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Obviously, the only really important thing is for the Reds to win a game or two and make it in somehow and go from there.

But while we are dreaming, I would simply love to see the Reds take 2 of 3 against the Twins, and the Brewers to take 4 of 5 against the Cardinals. It would be so sweet to see them knocked out of it, and I can tolerate the Brewers for the most part, especially after the Reds took care of their business with them.

I don't like the Cardinals.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 09-24-2020 at 07:32 AM.

4. Likes:

Phoenix2 (09-24-2020)

Still work to do. They know it. Big game for Mahle on Friday.

Reds need 2 out of 3 but the first two would be sweet as they could line up Bauer and Sonny for the first 2 playoff games.

The last four days of this season present a jumble with six teams for the final four NL playoff spots. Some factors -

1. Reds and Phils each have only 3 games remaining and rest today. Marlins 4 games remaining. Giants and Brewers each have 5 games remaining.

2. Cardinals have 5 games remaining but the possibility of an additional 1 or 2 games against Detroit, depending on the status after Sunday.

3. As of right now, 9/24 AM, Cards and Marlins would get the second place spots. Giants and Reds the wild cards. Phils and Brewers would not make the playoffs. But very, very close.

4. Four of the competing teams finish on the road. Cards and Giants at home (each include a doubleheader “road” game to be played at home this weekend).

5. All 6 teams face a playoff clinched team or contender this weekend. Some of those clinched teams may hold back pitchers/players to rest for playoffs. Concern with Padres at Giants, for example.

6. On Thursday, today, Rockies throwing a 7.53 ERA pitcher against Giants (with Gausman) this afternoon. More competitive matchup Marlins at Braves tonight, Lopez v Anderson, both good ERAs. Brewers at Cards tonight is top starter Burnes v Kim, both with ERAs under 2. Pirates scored 4 off Kim last time out.

7. Based on strength of schedule, the oddsmakers have Reds more likely for wild card than second place in Central. But lot of moving parts, should be a most interesting finish.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Fun times. I love looking forward to Reds games and each game is an event. Been a while.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-24-2020),Revering4Blue (09-24-2020),Ron Madden (09-24-2020),SirFelixCat (09-24-2020)

I wonder what StL will do if they finish on Sunday clinching a spot, but the last two games decide seeding. Will they just take two losses and drop in the seeding so that they can rest? Or go and play two vs. Detroit to grab a better seed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder what StL will do if they finish on Sunday clinching a spot, but the last two games decide seeding. Will they just take two losses and drop in the seeding so that they can rest? Or go and play two vs. Detroit to grab a better seed?
    Unlikely for that scenario to happen.

The two Detroit games will not be played if only about seeding. They only are to be played if they impact who makes playoffs or home field advantage (which seems set in NL).

Hypothetical scenario where Cards are in but two Detroit games impact whether ANOTHER team makes playoffs. Cards could take a dive then. Doubt league would allow it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Unlikely for that scenario to happen.

The two Detroit games will not be played if only about seeding. They only are to be played if they impact who makes playoffs or home field advantage (which seems set in NL).

Possible scenario where Cards are in but two Detroit games impact whether ANOTHER team makes playoffs. Cards could take a dive then. Doubt league would allow it.
    So in that scenario, Cards have agreed to take the lower seed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    So in that scenario, Cards have agreed to take the lower seed?
    Depends on the standings, maybe.

Cards would opt for rest; another team would lose out of playoff chance.

It’s a remote hypothetical situation, I’m not even sure it’s actually possible and doubt league would allow it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hypothetical scenario where Cards are in but two Detroit games impact whether ANOTHER team makes playoffs. Cards could take a dive then. Doubt league would allow it.
    That scenario can't exist. Detroit is already eliminated so the games won't affect their chances. The only teams affected by those games are the Cardinals and whoever they're fighting for a playoff berth, so if the Cardinals took a dive they would be knocking themselves out of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    That scenario can't exist. Detroit is already eliminated so the games won't affect their chances. The only teams affected by those games are the Cardinals and whoever they're fighting for a playoff berth, so if the Cardinals took a dive they would be knocking themselves out of the playoffs.
    I can think of hypotheticals where Cards could withstand two losses, still hold a playoff spot, and change the dynamics of a tiebreaker situation for another team.

But you may be correct, I can’t tell if it’s physically possible in this race, and it’s so remote that not worth a lot of time.

I only mentioned this to respond to a suggestion someone made, and I’m moving on to other things, thanks.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm in a generally positive mood about the Reds' playoff chances (86.5% on ESPN 91% on 538), but there is a whammy lurking for some unlucky team in the NL. It is entirely possible the 2nd place team in the NL East finishes with a losing record. That means the 8th place team in the NL on record could be from the Central or West and get booted in favor of whoever collapses the least between the Phillies and Marlins (both on four-game schneids at the moment with a tough finishing schedule).
    I remember 1981 so...completely expect to see the Reds hosed somehow in a weird year.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

So are we all agreed that for tonight's game, we are pulling for the Brewers?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I have an uneasy de ja vu feeling all over again.

Its an even number year and we are having to include the Giants in our playoff conversation and their impact on the Reds chances.

And their doing this without Bochy and the helm.

It seems unfair to me that Stl. may get to play 2 less games then everyone else, regardless of whether or not it has any bearing. Make them use their SP and BP as much as everyone else.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

19. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-24-2020),Bourgeois Zee (09-24-2020),mbgrayson (09-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?