Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

I believe we can clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win, one Brewers loss, and a Padres sweep of the Giants.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    I believe we can clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win, one Brewers loss, and a Padres sweep of the Giants.
    I believe you could substitute a Phillies loss for either of the Brewers or Giants circumstances also.

Once we win one game, we will beat the Brewers if they lose once, the Phillies if they lose once, and the Giants if they lose twice. And we need to beat two of those teams.

Better yet, if we can win one game this weekend, we will make the playoffs unless two of these three things happen:

1. The Brewers win 4 straight over the Cards, and then the Cards sweep the doubleheader Monday vs. The Tigers.
    2. The Phillies sweep the Rays.
    3. The Giants win at least 3 out of 4 vs. The Pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I believe you could substitute a Phillies loss for either of the Brewers or Giants circumstances also.

Once we win one game, we will beat the Brewers if they lose once, the Phillies if they lose once, and the Giants if they lose twice. And we need to beat two of those teams.

Better yet, if we can win one game this weekend, we will make the playoffs unless two of these three things happen:

1. The Brewers win 4 straight over the Cards, and then the Cards sweep the doubleheader Monday vs. The Tigers.
    2. The Phillies sweep the Rays.
    3. The Giants win at least 3 out of 4 vs. The Pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, still another formulation:

Reds magic number to clinch wild card spot against Brewers is 2.
    Reds magic number to clinch wild card spot against Phils is 2.
    Reds magic number to clinch wild card spot against Giants is 3.

Phils still alive for second place in East, but Marlins magic number to eliminate them is 2.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-25-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Harder for Reds:

If Marlins lose second place in East, then for wild card Reds magic number to edge Miami is 4.

As for Cards -

Assuming Cards play 60 games, Reds magic number is 6 to best Cards in second place Central race.

Assuming Cards play 58 games (winning percentage scenario), Reds magic number is 5 to best Cards in most scenarios. However if Brewers sweep four from Cards, Reds would have higher pct than Cards.

But in these situations, if Brewers dominate Cards this weekend, they could be back in the hunt for the second position in the Central.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-25-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    To paraphrase the old adage, show me someone’s favorite baseball team and I’ll show you when they were 10 (or 11). Fortunately for me I was 9 when we won the 90 World Series. It’s pretty much been all downhill from there (Reds-wise).

Of course my oldest is 9 right now. Hoping the Reds give her some of that magic this year.
    Feeling my years. My season for swallowing the hook (I was 11) was 1964. Reds came back from 8.5 games back in the last 17 games of the season to being in a 3 way tie at game 162. Alas, they lost game 162 to the Phillies with a 10-0 score (who had an epic collapse). Remember it like yesterday. Broke my heart.

And that was in the days of a monolithic NL with 11 teams. No divisions. No playoffs. Just the World Series.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-25-2020),Ron Madden (09-25-2020),SirFelixCat (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Feeling my years. My season for swallowing the hook (I was 11) was 1964. Reds came back from 8.5 games back in the last 17 games of the season to being in a 3 way tie at game 162. Alas, they lost game 162 to the Phillies with a 10-0 score (who had an epic collapse). Remember it like yesterday. Broke my heart.

And that was in the days of a monolithic NL with 11 teams. No divisions. No playoffs. Just the World Series.
    I was 11 in 1976. What a great year; the country was celebrating 200 years and it felt like a breath of fresh air after Vietnam, the late sixties turmoil and of course, Nixon. I was pretty young, but I still understood the vibe. And arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled was destroying anyone in their path. The only unfortunate part of that era was my own sense of what the Reds should be every year was permanently warped. I feel like I kind of peaked early.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-25-2020),Hypnotoad (09-25-2020),M2 (09-25-2020),Roy Tucker (09-25-2020),SirFelixCat (09-25-2020)

1981 was my season.

Tom Seaver, Johnny Bench, Griffey, Foster, Joe Nolan, Dave Collins, Ron Oester.

I was nine.

Reds could clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win and any 2 of the following

Phillies loss
    Brewers loss (playing a DH tonight)
    2 Giants losses in their DH tonight

13. Likes:

M2 (09-25-2020),SirFelixCat (09-25-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

This is the entire Wikipedia paragraph about my Reds 10-year-old season:

The Cincinnati Reds' 1996 season consisted of the Cincinnati Reds attempting to win the National League Central.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-25-2020),M2 (09-25-2020),RichRed (09-25-2020),Roy Tucker (09-25-2020),SirFelixCat (09-25-2020),westofyou (09-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was 11 in 1976. What a great year; the country was celebrating 200 years and it felt like a breath of fresh air after Vietnam, the late sixties turmoil and of course, Nixon. I was pretty young, but I still understood the vibe. And arguably one of the greatest teams ever assembled was destroying anyone in their path. The only unfortunate part of that era was my own sense of what the Reds should be every year was permanently warped. I feel like I kind of peaked early.
    My favorite year by far, but I was 14. 1972 was my year, but I was in Detroit and I loved the Tigers. When they lost to the A's I was anti A's for a good forty years, they've only recently grown on me

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was 12 that year; we got a sense of baseball entitlement that we can not shake.

18. Likes:

SunDeck (09-25-2020),westofyou (09-25-2020)

What are the Reds playoff chances should they get swept by Minnesota?? I’d say that’s more likely to happen considering they’re in an AL Central race vs winning 2/3 there. The Reds do not do well against the AL either, winning one game feels like would be a major accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    To paraphrase the old adage, show me someone’s favorite baseball team and I’ll show you when they were 10 (or 11). Fortunately for me I was 9 when we won the 90 World Series. It’s pretty much been all downhill from there (Reds-wise).

Of course my oldest is 9 right now. Hoping the Reds give her some of that magic this year.
    I was really into baseball and the Reds during my age 10 year in 1979. That was the year the Reds lost to Dave Parker, Willie Stargell, and the "We Are Family" Pirates in the NLCS. To this day, hearing that infernal song makes me want to break things.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    What are the Reds playoff chances should they get swept by Minnesota?? I’d say that’s more likely to happen considering they’re in an AL Central race vs winning 2/3 there. The Reds do not do well against the AL either, winning one game feels like would be a major accomplishment
    You don't think they can win at least 1? Even if Bauer pitches on Sunday? And don't forget, Castillo is up on Saturday. He's been basically the best pitcher in baseball over the past two weeks.

I'm a huge skeptic of this offense but I think they have a good shot at taking 2 on the pitching alone.

22. Likes:

M2 (09-25-2020)

2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Reds could clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win and any 2 of the following

Phillies loss
    Brewers loss (playing a DH tonight)
    2 Giants losses in their DH tonight
    I appreciate this concise explanation.

When they first announced this format, I expected the Reds to not be in this quagmire of uncertainty, but I did think this would turn into a 9-7 and 8-8 situation like we see in the NFL every so often: 4 teams tie and it comes down to the 5th tiebreaker.

I am still in no way in favor of such a huge playoff pool when we get back to a full season. I have no issue with 2 wild cards, but a 1 game playoff (that isn’t a tiebreaker) isn’t a test of the full roster the way a full season.

Maybe I’m too traditional, but that is what the last two weeks of a season should be: a race to get in, not determining who is the 5-8 seeds...

Turn Off Ads?