Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Any guesses on the rotation down the stretch? Assuming no Gray (would be nice if he could be healthy for a start against the Twins or the Lorenzen spot against the Brewers):

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Disco
    Twins - Castillo

Or you could go crazy and get Bauer 3 starts on 3 days rest.

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Bauer
    Off Day
    Twins - Disco/Mahle
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Bauer

I think that one is pretty close.

And that looks pretty good going down the stretch. But lets see if the sun could shine even brighter on those Reds

And I wouldn't call this crazy at all. The Reds are playing playoff baseball right now and that is what top starters do when it comes playoff time. They pitch on short rest and come out of the pen. It is what they play for. And Bauer has experience doing both in the playoffs before.
    Last edited by jup; 09-17-2020 at 01:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any guesses on the rotation down the stretch? Assuming no Gray (would be nice if he could be healthy for a start against the Twins or the Lorenzen spot against the Brewers):

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Disco
    Twins - Castillo

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Bauer
    Off Day
    Twins - Disco/Mahle
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Bauer
    Disco, Mahle, and Lorenzen should have extremely quick hooks the rest of the way. I shudder to think about Disco facing the Sox at GABP.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Tough task ahead. Gotta win 2 of 3 vs Sox. I'd sit Senzel in the Series who is an automatic out since his return. Lean hard on Bauer in Game Two to go very deep in that game. Need to see heavy workload of Garrett and Bradley in Games 1 and 3. If Game 3 gets out of hand early, give up on the game and save Garrett and Bradley for Milwaukee series.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Tough task ahead. Gotta win 2 of 3 vs Sox. I'd sit Senzel in the Series who is an automatic out since his return. Lean hard on Bauer in Game Two to go very deep in that game. Need to see heavy workload of Garrett and Bradley in Games 1 and 3. If Game 3 gets out of hand early, give up on the game and save Garrett and Bradley for Milwaukee series.
    Chisox seem to have a heavily RHP staff. I hate to penalize Senzel for his absence, but agree Goodwin should start and Nick off the bench.

Winker should hit down more in the order, go with Shogo, Cast, Votto, Suarez, Moose, Winker, Goodwin, Garcia, C. I’d pinch hit for Winker against lefties until he shows signs of hitting.

Bullpen seems in good shape with the off day, Iglesias, Bradley, Garrett, Sims, Stephenson, Antone, Jones is quite deep. Too bad Reds don’t have another LOOGY type around, even with the three batter rule.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-17-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Disco
    Twins - Castillo

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Lorenzen/Antone?
    Crew - Bauer
    Off Day
    Twins - Disco/Mahle
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Bauer
    Someone teased "i heard it will be sunny on Tuesday" in the Reds notes thread. I hope that means that Sonny Gray will be activated on Tuesday. He is eligible on Monday, but Castillo could go that day on normal rest, so the Reds could go: Mahle, Bauer, Lorenzen, Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Bauer, Castillo, Gray.

7. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-17-2020),goreds2 (09-17-2020)

The way I would handle rotation, I’d absolutely use Bauer on short rest. I’d go with Lorenzen over Disco to the extent possible. I’d hope for Sonny Gray by the final series but have a backup plan if not. For Mahle, Lorenzen and Disco starts I’d have Antone or (after Friday) Mahle available for early pitching changes.

Friday Chisox - Mahle/Antone
    Saturday Chisox - Bauer
    Sunday Chisox - Lorenzen/Antone or Sims

Monday Brewers - Castillo
    Tuesday Brewers - Disco/Mahle
    Wednesday Brewers - Bauer

Off Day Thursday

Friday Twins- Gray or Lorenzen/Antone or Mahle/Antone depending on health, rest.
    Saturday - Castillo
    Sunday - Bauer
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-17-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Someone teased "i heard it will be sunny on Tuesday" in the Reds notes thread. I hope that means that Sonny Gray will be activated on Tuesday. He is eligible on Monday, but Castillo could go that day on normal rest, so the Reds could go: Mahle, Bauer, Lorenzen, Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Bauer, Castillo, Gray.
    Even better.

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Gray
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Gray

Like the big 3 for the Twins. If Miley comes back he can go to the pen as an extra lefty.

As bad as Disco has been I still have a hard time putting Lorenzen above him after one good start against the Pirates.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Even better.

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Gray
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Gray

Like the big 3 for the Twins. If Miley comes back he can go to the pen as an extra lefty.

As bad as Disco has been I still have a hard time putting Lorenzen above him after one good start against the Pirates.
    Lorenzen doesn't have much of a track record as a starter, but he does have a strong track record as a decent pitcher. The wheels seem to have completely fallen off for DeSclafani based upon how terrible his last five starts have been so there is no way I would put him above a guy who has a 3.30 ERA, 3.87 FIP and 4.18 xFIP over a combination of this abbreviated season and last season. I know that is only 109 innings, but I have much more faith in Lorenzen than DeSclafani right now.

The much more difficult decision in my mind is Garcia vs. Galvis at SS once Suarez is back from paternity leave.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-17-2020)

Even better.

Off Day
    Sox - Mahle
    Sox - Bauer
    Sox - Disco
    Crew - Castillo
    Crew - Gray
    Crew - Mahle
    Off Day
    Twins - Bauer
    Twins - Castillo
    Twins - Gray

I actually like the idea of starting Sims on Sunday against the Sox. Try to squeeze 2-3 innings out of him, then 2-3 from Antone, then the bullpen. Disco can slot in if Gray can't go against the Brewers or be the long man. He's putting almost two guys on an inning this year and I can't picture him having success against one of the best hitting teams in baseball. I like Sims' and Antone's chances of keeping the Sox in the park more than Disco.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I actually like the idea of starting Sims on Sunday against the Sox. Try to squeeze 2-3 innings out of him, then 2-3 from Antone, then the bullpen. Disco can slot in if Gray can't go against the Brewers or be the long man. He's putting almost two guys on an inning this year and I can't picture him having success against one of the best hitting teams in baseball. I like Sims' and Antone's chances of keeping the Sox in the park more than Disco.
    Sims has found a home in the pen I think, and frankly the pen needs him.

I would be OK with Antone. The wheels will probably fall off for him at some point, but he looks really good.

I hope the White Sox can clinch today, celebrate and get drunk tonight, play with hangovers tomorrow.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-17-2020),Bob Sheed (09-17-2020),CaiGuy (09-17-2020),Edd Roush (09-17-2020),faffy42 (09-17-2020),goldglover9 (09-17-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (09-17-2020),Old school 1983 (09-17-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-17-2020),Phoenix2 (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-17-2020),Roy Tucker (09-17-2020),Tom Servo (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hope the White Sox can clinch today, celebrate and get drunk tonight, play with hangovers tomorrow.
    Reds should send plenty of champagne.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-17-2020),Ron Madden (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    But in a brutal but close slugfest where they burn through their good pitching.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-17-2020),M2 (09-17-2020),Old school 1983 (09-17-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-17-2020),Phoenix2 (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-17-2020),Ron Madden (09-17-2020)

Minnesota up 3-2 in 6th.

Chisox out in front 4-3 with a seventh inning rally. I’m watching them for the first time. Impressive offense. Maybe Reds can pitch Bauer twice and Castillo once against them.

Old friend EE pops up to end Chisox rally.

Turn Off Ads?