Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Haunted by walks

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

We’re starting to sound like Yankees fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

19 games remaining - 09/08/2020
    NL Central 1st - -5.5 Games
    NL Central 2nd - -2.5 Games
    NL Final Playoff slot - -2.5 Games

We start a series against the NL leading Cubs today which means a big opportunity, and the Cardinals play a tough double header against the Twins. A win today has the potential to make up some real ground.
    Last edited by adkindo; 09-08-2020 at 01:31 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds are 2 games back of a playoff spot right now. They are in the race, as ugly, stupid, painful, heart breaking, soul crushing, and dumb as all of this 2020 season for Cincinnati has actually been.
    This is very sad

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't get me wrong - I'd bet a lot of money on the Reds not making the playoffs if someone had a gun to my head and was forcing me to place a bet of a lot of money on making or not making the playoffs.

But the fact is - they are in the race. I just have no faith that they can win enough games to overcome things, especially with their remaining schedule.
    I did bet money on them before the season.

I consider it lost at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

6. Likes:

forfreelin04 (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    19 games remaining - 09/08/2020
    NL Central 1st - -5.5 Games
    NL Central 2nd - -2.5 Games
    NL Final Playoff slot - -2.5 Games

We start a series against the NL leading Cubs today which means a big opportunity, and the Cardinals play a tough double header against the Twins. A win today has the potential to make up some real ground.
    Just looking at the Cubs and Cardinals today....they both will be far from their best on the mound.

- Chicago is starting Alec Mills (5.50 ERA), and the Cubs have lost 4 of the last 5 games he started. One of the losses was against the Reds (08/29) as we knocked him off the mound after only 3 innings after he gave up HR's to Votto, Casali and Winker. In those recent 5 starts, he has pitched 24.2 innings and gave up 21 runs. This will be the 3rd game Mills has pitched against the Reds as be picked up a win in his first start of the season, but believe it or not, that was a worse Reds team! It was when Senzel and Moustakas was out of the lineup, and Casali was overworked because Tucker had not joined the team....VanMeter started, Geno was hitting .059 and Christian Colon was used to pinch hit for a struggling Jesse Winker (.167) late in the game ! Even worse, it was one of our bullpens biggest implosions after Mahle pitched a decent 4 innings and left the game in a tie....Reed came in a gave up 2 Runs, Amir gave up a run, Jones gave up a run, and Lorenzen gave up 2 more runs!

- St. Louis is starting Carlos Martinez (14.73 ERA) in Game #1 vs. the Twins. Martinez has started one game this season which was in July and against the Twins. He lasted 3.2 innings and gave up 6 runs. In Game #2 the Cardinals are starting Daniel Ponce de Leon (7.82 ERA). The Cardinals have lost 3 of Ponce de Leon's last 4 starts. Ironically the one start the Cardinals won was against the Reds, although Ponce de Leon did not pick up the win only lasting 4.2 innings. In his last start, he only pitched 0.2 innings and gave up 4 runs before being removed.

The point of the ramble is a win tonight against the Cubs would obviously gain a game on the Cubs, but there is a real chance to gain 1.5 games on the Cardinals if they lose both games....which would close the gap to a single game.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I struggle to take seriously a playoff system that would even consider including a team as bad as the 2020 Cincinnati Reds. I hope the Dodgers win the WS so at least there is some feeling that the whole season wasn't a total joke.

9. Likes:

Todd Gack (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I struggle to take seriously a playoff system that would even consider including a team as bad as the 2020 Cincinnati Reds. I hope the Dodgers win the WS so at least there is some feeling that the whole season wasn't a total joke.
    I would rather the season get canceled than see the Dodgers win the World Series.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

11. Likes:

Boston Red (09-08-2020)

I would rather the season get canceled than see the Dodgers win the World Series.
    I just want a deserving winner. Not someone that goes 30-30 and gets hot.

13. Likes:

malcontent (09-08-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-08-2020)

Sonny Gray pitched 2/3 of an inning on the 1st, and is not scheduled again until the 10th. So, effectively, they have skipped his turn in the rotation. He will have hurled just those 2/3 of an inning in 14 days when he takes the mound. Bauer is going on Wednesday, with Sonny following on Thursday. Both will miss the Cardinals series over the weekend.

Just looking at the Cubs and Cardinals today....they both will be far from their best on the mound.

- Chicago is starting Alec Mills (5.50 ERA), and the Cubs have lost 4 of the last 5 games he started. One of the losses was against the Reds (08/29) as we knocked him off the mound after only 3 innings after he gave up HR's to Votto, Casali and Winker. In those recent 5 starts, he has pitched 24.2 innings and gave up 21 runs. This will be the 3rd game Mills has pitched against the Reds as be picked up a win in his first start of the season, but believe it or not, that was a worse Reds team! It was when Senzel and Moustakas was out of the lineup, and Casali was overworked because Tucker had not joined the team....VanMeter started, Geno was hitting .059 and Christian Colon was used to pinch hit for a struggling Jesse Winker (.167) late in the game ! Even worse, it was one of our bullpens biggest implosions after Mahle pitched a decent 4 innings and left the game in a tie....Reed came in a gave up 2 Runs, Amir gave up a run, Jones gave up a run, and Lorenzen gave up 2 more runs!
    The Reds make most pitchers look like Cy Young. Their offense is at the bottom of MLB. It will be a shock if the Reds can score enough to win a game in Chicago. Only a superlative pitching performance by a Reds starter will give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    brooks raley and strop will come to the rescue
    You have the best zingers. Gets me every time.

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-08-2020)

thanks you,,and of course thanks from sluggers ervin and van meter, as well as the forebears which included dick simpson and clyde mashore

I'd like to see the Reds in the playoffs, but I can't help but believe it would be more embarrassment to the fans. Maybe they would lose in the first round and they could fire Bell like they did with Dusty. Or not.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Personally, I could careless if the Reds were under .500 and make the playoffs. The rules are what they are.

If we get in and beat someone, I won't put an asterisk next to a playoff series win. Considering the last playoff series win was 25 years ago. WOWSER ... quarter of a century.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I just want a deserving winner. Not someone that goes 30-30 and gets hot.
    Pretty much how I feel too. Even if the Reds did manage to turn around and still win the 2020 WS, it won't mean as much to me as it would after 162 games.

I'd like them to go deep in the playoffs just so I get more Reds games to watch, not so much because they might luck into a title (which don't get me wrong, I'd still be happy about).

Turn Off Ads?