Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Just looking over my past infractions on here. I used to get suspended for the lamest stuff. Lol. People do way worse stuff on here regularly now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wasn't on this board.
    2011 sucked. I’m allowed to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Or San Fran. They’ve had a major austerity teardown yet they’re back in the picture. Imagine having a farm.
    "Back in the Picture"

I'm listening to the Giants game right now and Jon Miller is saying when you only play in your region you really have no idea how good a team is, all their games are the same group of teams and you don't see them against other types of teams in other types of season arcs.

Seems true. How good are the Giants? Not too good at all, but they are having fun beating the also-rans, they are 21-9 against western teams that are not going into the expanded playoffs and 6-18 against the teams that made the playoffs (Reds are 11-16 against those projected to win)

The Giants are lucky the season is short, they would have lost 90 games easily in a 162 game season

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2020),Ron Madden (09-24-2020)

2011 sucked. I’m allowed to point that out.
    And you were adamant 2012 was going to be trash and clinging to that take after it became clear they definitely weren't trash. If there was some point where you began to enjoy the 2012-13 run, you kept it to yourself.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Back in the Picture"

I'm listening to the Giants game right now and Jon Miller is saying when you only play in your region you really have no idea how good a team is, all their games are the same group of teams and you don't see them against other types of teams in other types of season arcs.

Seems true. How good are the Giants? Not too good at all, but they are having fun beating the also-rans, they are 21-9 against western teams that are not going into the expanded playoffs and 6-18 against the teams that made the playoffs (Reds are 11-16 against those projected to win)

The Giants are lucky the season is short, they would have lost 90 games easily in a 162 game season
    They clearly are. They’re a half game better than the Reds.

- - - Updated - - -

And you were adamant 2012 was going to be trash and clinging to that take after it became clear they definitely weren't trash. If there was some point where you began to enjoy the 2012-13 run, you kept it to yourself.
    What was I supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Back in the Picture"

The standings show the Giants to be 18-10 at home and 10-17 on the road.

What’s more, their final five games are being played in SF.

That would give Giants 33 home games and 27 road games.

One upcoming SF home game is deemed a road game (home for SD). Maybe that happened before on their schedule to account for the home-road imbalance.

Seems like an advantage for a team that plays so well at home.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-24-2020 at 06:19 PM.

What was I supposed to do?
    I guess expressing any sort of happiness would have been out of the question. Here the Reds are in a playoff chase, having pushed the odds solidly in their favor, and you're still grousing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-24-2020),SirFelixCat (09-24-2020)

Rockies took one run lead on SF.

To me it comes down to this:

FCB's schtick is to say negative things about the Reds, and forecast an early downfall. There is rarely a great deal of analytical or consistent thought behind it, but its the most accurate stance one could take in being predictive in this forum since the Reds never actually win a playoff series since Redszone existed.

For years and years and years the schtick was predicated around the Reds' pitching and until they got it, they had no chance regardless of what the offense did. Now that we have the pitching, there are excused. The Bauer DFA meme, Castillo being a #3, the Reds rotation being overrated here this season despite being ranked #2 in most analytical categories, overrating the collapse of the bullpen based on one month (and no acknowledgement of the turnaround since). So we have it, and its still not respected, and the old opinion that offense was fixable is no longer accepted despite the Reds actually having some talent and some signs that they are actually better than their runs would suggest (ie. team exit velocity stats, injuries to Moose/Suarez, Senzel requiring up and down seasons, Votto changing approach, Shogo adjustment to NA, etc.). He made his opinion day one, and it was easier to stick to it inflexibly because the Reds were in such a large hole early it was unlikely they would make it back above 500. Now that they have its still meaningless bc obviously a 60 game record is reflective of true talent level across baseball amiright?

At some point the Reds need to shove it down his throat, and then maybe he can admit defeat and we can all be friends, hahaha.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

14. Likes:

Mitri (09-24-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-24-2020),Ron Madden (09-24-2020),SirFelixCat (09-24-2020),Tom Servo (09-24-2020),westofyou (09-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    To me it comes down to this:

FCB's schtick is to say negative things about the Reds, and forecast an early downfall. There is rarely a great deal of analytical or consistent thought behind it, but its the most accurate stance one could take in being predictive in this forum since the Reds never actually win a playoff series since Redszone existed.

For years and years and years the schtick was predicated around the Reds' pitching and until they got it, they had no chance regardless of what the offense did. Now that we have the pitching, there are excused. The Bauer DFA meme, Castillo being a #3, the Reds rotation being overrated here this season despite being ranked #2 in most analytical categories, overrating the collapse of the bullpen based on one month (and no acknowledgement of the turnaround since). So we have it, and its still not respected, and the old opinion that offense was fixable is no longer accepted despite the Reds actually having some talent and some signs that they are actually better than their runs would suggest (ie. team exit velocity stats, injuries to Moose/Suarez, Senzel requiring up and down seasons, Votto changing approach, Shogo adjustment to NA, etc.). He made his opinion day one, and it was easier to stick to it inflexibly because the Reds were in such a large hole early it was unlikely they would make it back above 500. Now that they have its still meaningless bc obviously a 60 game record is reflective of true talent level across baseball amiright?

At some point the Reds need to shove it down his throat, and then maybe he can admit defeat and we can all be friends, hahaha.
    You were playing with Legos the last time Reds had a successful postseason series. It’s neither ill-guided nor wrong to doubt them. When they win, I’ll change my tune. Every other team in baseball besides the Pirates and Blue Jays (maybe the Orioles, idk) have won a postseason series in that timespan. Let’s see what happens.

Edit: Even the lowly Blue Jays won a series in 2015. Replace them with Tampa.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-24-2020 at 06:54 PM.

You were playing with Legos the last time Reds had a successful postseason series. It’s neither ill-guided nor wrong to doubt them. When they win, I’ll change my tune. Every other team in baseball besides the Pirates and Blue Jays have won a postseason series in that timespan. Let’s see what happens.
    Ya that’s what I just said.

It’s not really foresightful or interesting. It’s a schtick and 95 percent of people find it exhausting and super old.

You get the big picture outcome right because Reds will Red, but you blatantly miss a ton on individual player stuff and rarely if ever will acknowledge being wrong about something bc in aggregate the Reds fail anyways.

I always appreciate you take barbs and criticism well in stride and have a good sense of humour. Some days I really like you, and other days I really don’t, maybe that’s on me, lol!!

If you are truly a Reds fan than hopefully we can all agree on one thing: the day they shove some playoff success in your face will be fun for all of us (including you) and hope we can all celebrate together.

Maybe, just maybe we won’t have to wait terribly long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Ya that’s what I just said.

It’s not really foresightful or interesting. It’s a schtick and 95 percent of people find it exhausting and super old.

You get the big picture outcome right because Reds will Red, but you blatantly miss a ton on individual player stuff and rarely if ever will acknowledge being wrong about something bc in aggregate the Reds fail anyways.

I always appreciate you take barbs and criticism well in stride and have a good sense of humour. Some days I really like you, and other days I really don’t, maybe that’s on me, lol!!

If you are truly a Reds fan than hopefully we can all agree on one thing: the day they shove some playoff success in your face will be fun for all of us (including you) and hope we can all celebrate together.

Maybe, just maybe we won’t have to wait terribly long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except old or not here we are. You talk a good game and that’s admirable. You marshal so much positivity and hope about them yet you’ve been continually wrong for 15 seasons. Maybe a dash of head scratching is due on your part. This is a bad franchise. Wear the robe. Shed it when the organization decides to.

I guess expressing any sort of happiness would have been out of the question. Here the Reds are in a playoff chase, having pushed the odds solidly in their favor, and you're still grousing.
    I don’t expect anyone to pay attention to every fan utterance, but I was plenty stoked in 12-13. I’m just not over the top demonstrative. There’s an archive right? I know what I said. You can verify it if you want to.

19. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-24-2020)

Giants and Rockies tied at 4 going into the 9th. It would be great for the Rockies to steal this one!

I’m willing to admit that had I not been spoiled by the BRM, then the 90-95 teams, this jaunt in the desert would likely not seem like such a painful experience, somewhat ironically. But man, I don’t know what kind of Wellbutrin you guys chug to stay Ronald McDonald happy about this franchise. Pass me some.

Turn Off Ads?