Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    hmm, not a fan of this rule.
    Why? Playing two extra games for seeding purposes is pretty pointless, especially if what you're hoping is for them to lose both games against the Tigers. For the Reds purposes, they either win one more game in these final two than Cardinals to get into the 5-6 slot or they're looking at the 7-8 slot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Marlins up 3-0 on the Yankees. For the Reds to get a 5 seed one of the conditions is they would have to win one more game in these remaining games then the Marlins as the Marlins have the tiebreaker over the Reds

4. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Marlins up 3-0 on the Yankees. For the Reds to get a 5 seed one of the conditions is they would have to win one more game in these remaining games then the Marlins as the Marlins have the tiebreaker over the Reds
    I’ve been watching this game on MLB. Marlins have executed hit and runs, stolen bases and bunts.

So nice to see fundamentals executed. I think Donny baseball is a winner. Nothing against Bell personally, but I would have loved to had Mattingly as manager. He is from Indiana, right? Curious who the Reds took in that draft when Mattingly was a player.

6. Likes:

757690 (09-26-2020)

dan lamar
    keefe cato bob buchanon

Yankees now up 7-3 on the Marlins

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why? Playing two extra games for seeding purposes is pretty pointless, especially if what you're hoping is for them to lose both games against the Tigers. For the Reds purposes, they either win one more game in these final two than Cardinals to get into the 5-6 slot or they're looking at the 7-8 slot.
    I'd like the Cardinals to have to blow up their preferred playoff rotation. I'm petty though.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I'd like the Cardinals to have to blow up their preferred playoff rotation. I'm petty though.
    I would rather the Cardinals never win another game, ever. So I am hoping they lose out and miss the playoffs completely, but the Reds stay the 7 seed. I find it a much easier path to go through the Braves/Cubs/Marlins side of the bracket than the Padres/Dodgers side. Either way, the Reds are going to be a tough out with the top 3 starters.
    So long as I breath shall I be a Reds fan, so long as I bleed I will bleed Red

11. Likes:

MR X (09-26-2020),Revering4Blue (09-26-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Sonny Gray will start vs. #MNTwins on Sunday. Trevor Bauer in Game 1 in playoffs; Luis Castillo in Game 2; Gray in a potential Game 3. #Reds

13. Likes:

Boston Red (09-26-2020),goldglover9 (09-26-2020),goreds2 (09-26-2020),membengal (09-26-2020),MR X (09-26-2020),Reds Fanatic (09-26-2020),smixsell (09-26-2020),Tom Servo (09-26-2020)

Marlins lost 11-4 which down the line could mean something for seeding. If the Reds can finish 2nd in the division and with a better record then the Marlins They would be the 5 seed

15. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020),MR X (09-26-2020)

I really would prefer to play the Braves. Any team besides the Cardinals or Giants. Too much PTSD stored up against those franchises.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If we "save" Bauer for game 3 and get swept 2-0, it will be the most insanely idiotic decision ever made by a franchise with a long history of insanely idiotic decisions.
    Wow, no faith in Sonny or Castillo.

News flash, the Reds don't advance if one of those two can't win a game.

Bauer can't pitch three in a row, it will take a staff to win and advance. I have all the faith in the world that Sonny and Castillo can get the job done. Lest we forget that the reason the Reds are supposedly "a nightmare" to face is that starting rotation of what looks to be 3 aces. You have to put your confidence in those guys and run them out there. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

Bauer wins game one, you lose 2 & 3, you still go home. And you didn't come this far to be satisfied with one playoff game victory. You traveled this road to advance in the playoffs. And on any given day, Sonny and Castillo can be every bit as effective as Bauer.

Happily, the Reds agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    how is seeding "pointless" in playoff formats? it's often very important.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    how is seeding "pointless" in playoff formats? it's often very important.
    I think baseball is so much more different than other sports. Especially with the 60 game schedule and each division playing totally different schedules.

In most other sports, there's a huge differential in potential between the #1 seed and the last seed. In baseball you can throw that out the window as a lot of what got you to the dance is no longer relevant. 4th and 5th starters for instance. Also, teams change drastically during the season based mainly on the trade deadline so they might have been a .500 team for 1/2 a season and .700 team for the 2nd half, while a more consistent team over a full season might have been a .605 or something. Being the team with the best 2nd half record is probably more indicative of being the best than the team with the overall best winning percentage.

I really would prefer to have our playoff pitching rotation set up to maximize our chances in a 3 game series vs playing a lower seed.

IMO the Reds need to do whatever it takes to get Bauer, Castillo and Gray 1-2-3 for the playoffs and in the best shape possible as far as rest and sharpness. Winning the next two games should take a back seat to that. As a side note, I really like sandwiching Castillo between Bauer and Gray because his pitching pattern is sufficiently different to disrupt the rhythm of the other team's hitters.
    Last edited by smixsell; 09-26-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?