Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They'll only be played if the Cardinals are out of the playoff picture and need two wins to get in.
    Or if a Cards loss in those games might let another team in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Wow, no faith in Sonny or Castillo.

News flash, the Reds don't advance if one of those two can't win a game.

Bauer can't pitch three in a row, it will take a staff to win and advance. I have all the faith in the world that Sonny and Castillo can get the job done. Lest we forget that the reason the Reds are supposedly "a nightmare" to face is that starting rotation of what looks to be 3 aces. You have to put your confidence in those guys and run them out there. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

Bauer wins game one, you lose 2 & 3, you still go home. And you didn't come this far to be satisfied with one playoff game victory. You traveled this road to advance in the playoffs. And on any given day, Sonny and Castillo can be every bit as effective as Bauer.
    But why oh why would you not pitch your best pitcher in the first game?

4. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-26-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-26-2020),SteelSD (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Exactly. Even if the order doesn't matter(which it probably does), if you advance, you want your ace pitching the first game in the next series so he can pitch twice if needed

6. Likes:

goreds2 (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    how is seeding "pointless" in playoff formats? it's often very important.
    No fans in the parks this season. Four rounds of playoffs. Neutral sites in the later rounds. If anything you want the harder matchup earlier so you can knock out a favorite with two hot games. Anyway, the Reds should assume they'll have to roll through three of the Dodgers, Braves, Cubs and Padres. No point in sweating the order of the gauntlet, just run it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

membengal (09-26-2020),Revering4Blue (09-26-2020)

So as I understand it if the Giants lose tonight the Reds will be no worse then the 7 seed. Giants are currently down 3-0 in the 6th

So if Reds win tomorrow and Cards lose do the Reds get second place?

Or will STL end up going to Detroit with a chance to regain second (as they try to clinch a playoff berth by winning)?

11. Likes:

Reds Fanatic (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if Reds win tomorrow and Cards lose do the Reds get second place?

Or will STL end up going to Detroit with a chance to regain second (as they try to clinch a playoff berth by winning)?
    I think the one way this does not happen is if the Giants win one of the remaining games. Because if the Cards lose and the Giants win 1 then the Brewers, Cards and Giants would all be at .500 so then the Cards would be forced I believe to play that Monday DH

In that scenario I don’t believe we would know 2nd place until Monday

If the Giants lose both of their games then you would be right because if only the Brewers and Cards are tied Brewers win that tiebreaker on head to head

One scenario I don’t know if the Reds lose tomorrow and the Brewers win and Giants lose both of their games.

In that scenario the Reds, Cards and Brewers are all at .500 who gets 2nd there

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

It was in response to a post about Bauer pitching last game of the season Sunday, which would mean he couldn't start game 1. And the point was it doesn't really change much. You get him once in the WC and potentially twice in the DS if he went Sunday and now that he isn't pitching Sunday, you still get him once in the WC and twice in the DS.

Other guys have to win games to advance, and I have all the faith Sonny and Castillo can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    One scenario I don’t know if the Reds lose tomorrow and the Brewers win and Giants lose both of their games.

In that scenario the Reds, Cards and Brewers are all at .500 who gets 2nd there
    I'm thinking Cards get 2nd, Reds get the WC due to tiebreakers.

It was in response to a post about Bauer pitching last game of the season Sunday, which would mean he couldn't start game 1. And the point was it doesn't really change much. You get him once in the WC and potentially twice in the DS if he went Sunday and now that he isn't pitching Sunday, you still get him once in the WC and twice in the DS.

Other guys have to win games to advance, and I have all the faith Sonny and Castillo can do that.
    I fully trust you have experience that leads you to your opinions but you seem to have a strong dogma against setting things up for the future.

I've got Bauer/Castillo/Gray as my 1-2-3 in that order. By dropping them into the playoffs in that order you assure yourself that Bauer will at least get as many starts as the other 2. That's what I want. Of course they (or most) of them will need to win games to advance. You keep saying that but no one disagrees with that. It's a fact and we all know that.

I'd ALWAYS choose to be up 1-0. Pressure is on the other team to win 2 in a row.

18. Likes:

KYExtemper (09-26-2020),M2 (09-26-2020),SteelSD (09-26-2020),Tom Servo (09-26-2020)

Giants lost 6-2. So that means going into the last day Reds can be no worse than a 7 seed and could still be as high as a 5 seed

20. Likes:

Gallen5862 (09-27-2020),M2 (09-27-2020),Ron Madden (09-27-2020)

So going into the last day here is where the NL stands

Los Angeles 41-17 (1 seed)
    Atlanta 35-24 (2 seed)
    Chicago 33-26 (3 seed)
    San Diego 36-23 (4 seed)

Here are all the other teams

Miami 30-29 (clinched a playoff spot - will be 5 or 6 seed)
    Cincinnati 30-29 (clinked a playoff spot will be 5,6 or 7 seed)
    St. Louis 29-28
    Milwaukee 29-30
    San Francisco 29-30
    Philadelphia 28-31
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 09-27-2020 at 12:14 AM.

So here are the Reds seeding possibilities best I can figure.

1. If the Cardinals win the Reds would be the 7 seed as the Cards would get 2nd based on winning percentage and would not have to make up games Monday
    2. If the Cardinals lose then the following
    a. If the Marlins win they would end up the 5th seed as they hold tiebreaker over Reds. Reds would end up the 6 seed if they finish 2nd in the division (or 7 again if Cards end up 2nd in division)
    b. If the Reds win and Marlins lose Reds would have advantage for 5th seed but that that may depend on if Cards have to play that DH on Monday which could move the Cards back in front of Reds

23. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?