Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

I think I am on board with preferring Atlanta in Round 1....the Cubs bore me and I do not want to be on the SD/LAD side of the bracket. I also want to win today to have a winning record....so I think I have to want the Reds, Marlins and Cardinals to win. Nah, I am not cheering for the Cardinals.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-27-2020),Reds (09-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think I am on board with preferring Atlanta in Round 1....the Cubs bore me and I do not want to be on the SD/LAD side of the bracket. I also want to win today to have a winning record....so I think I have to want the Reds, Marlins and Cardinals to win. Nah, I am not cheering for the Cardinals.
    Personally, I think SD is the place to go at the moment. They have suffered 2 injuries to their starting pitching staff, Clevinger and Lamet, in the last week that were a lock to pitch one of the WC games. Now it looks like neither will be available.

St Louis to lose, Reds to win and take 2nd place in the division.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-27-2020)

I want to face the Padres because I think in a three game series, odds are about the same no matter the opponent, but I would love to watch Tatis jr play.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    That was written 5 days ago when the Cards still gave a chance to finish first.

The Cards only play Monday if those two games makes a difference in any team making the playoffs.

In other words, if the Cards lose and the Giants win.

I think if Cincy also wins, the Reds would get the 5 seed.

Because the Cards would need to play Monday to determine the Whether the Giants get in.

If they win the first game,the giants are eliminated, and I don’t think the Cards play the second game because they would be in the playoffs already, and I understand that they won’t play the second game because that would only determine seeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Miami and Cards must both lose - and Reds win - for Reds to get the 5 seed and play the Padres.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I want to face the Padres because I think in a three game series, odds are about the same no matter the opponent, but I would love to watch Tatis jr play.
    He is exciting no doubt.

Just not sure the anxiety level he would create coming to the plate with Reds starter on the mound. However, I just think the Reds offense has a much better chance against that pitching staff.

As for a three game series, and wanting to eliminate a strong competitor from your bracket if you think you can run the table, give me the Dodgers. Facing them in a 7 game series would be the least desirable, a 5 game series would be not nearly as bad, however, a three game would be the most preferable. Three game series are really a crap shoot and the Dodgers stand more chance of being eliminated in the first round as any round in my opinion.

I want the easier path to the NLCS. Let the Padres and Dodgers battle on their side.

I look at this like the NCAAs. If your goal is to advance as far as possible, why would you want a 7-10 seed if your next game is a 1 or 2? When you are a lower seed like 11/12 you can avoid a 1/2 seed until the sweet 16. As a mid major (WKU) I always look at it from that standpoint.

I total understand the better odds view point of only playing 3 against LA, but if we want to maximize our Reds baseball in 2020, I’ll take the path of least resistance, and I think that is on the Cubs/Braves side of the bracket.

I'm agnostic on who the Reds play in the 1st round, or 2nd, or 3rd. The Reds have got a shot against anybody. What I'd like to see is them win today so they can walk into the three-game series against whomever they draw having just taken two of three against the Twins.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Mitri (09-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ever think it could be the Reds that none of the higher seeds want to face in the first round?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Ever think it could be the Reds that none of the higher seeds want to face in the first round?
    If you could have the Marlins or the Cardinals instead of the Reds with Bauer-Castillo-Gray, I assume you'd leap at that.

I want the Dodgers in the first series. For the Reds to win the World Series the Dodgers, the best team in baseball, will need to lose. Like all great teams they are the most vulnerable in a short series and the Reds with Bauer-Castillo-Gray are best positioned to knock them off. Beat LA!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I want the Dodgers in the first series. For the Reds to win the World Series the Dodgers, the best team in baseball, will need to lose. Like all great teams they are the most vulnerable in a short series and the Reds with Bauer-Castillo-Gray are best positioned to knock them off. Beat LA!
    Well your scenario is impossible as the Dodgers are locked into the 1 seed and the Reds cannot do worse than the 7 seed.
    Yes that was a very impressive infield single. I thought for a second it was leaving the yard. - texasdave 10/13/12

17. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    complete agreement. Moreover, Dodgers would have been under pressure given their lack of success in recent years in the post-season. Best chance to beat the Dodgers would have been in WC round.

I want no part of the Dodgers until the need arises. I've seen a lot of them this season and they are pretty well rounded, a real tough team top to bottom

20. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2020),Tom Servo (09-27-2020)

per ESPN,

Cincinnati Reds (30-29)

Potential seeds: 5, 6 or 7

• If they win, the Marlins lose and the Cardinals lose: No. 5 seed

• If they win, the Marlins win and the Cardinals lose: No. 6 seed

• If they lose, the Cardinals lose and the Giants lose: No. 6 seed

• If they lose, the Cardinals lose, the Giants win and the Cardinals lose both doubleheader games: No. 6 seed

• All other scenarios: No. 7 seed

22. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020),Tom Servo (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redswin View Post
    per ESPN,

Cincinnati Reds (30-29)

Potential seeds: 5, 6 or 7

• If they win, the Marlins lose and the Cardinals lose: No. 5 seed

• If they win, the Marlins win and the Cardinals lose: No. 6 seed

• If they lose, the Cardinals lose and the Giants lose: No. 6 seed

• If they lose, the Cardinals lose, the Giants win and the Cardinals lose both doubleheader games: No. 6 seed

• All other scenarios: No. 7 seed
    I wish everyone would read this, along with the posts that make it clear the Cardinals will NOT be playing the doubleheader against the Tigers (unless St. Louis needs it to qualify for the playoffs).

Turn Off Ads?