Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 9-4-20 Reds vs.Pirates Game 2

Re: 9-4-20 Reds vs.Pirates Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by Indymoon View Post
    So was Galvis available to PH in bottom of the last for 3 guys hitting worse than him?
    I would have pinch hit a blindfolded Michael Lorenzen for Tucker Barnhart tonight, but that's just me.

2. Likes:

mth123 (09-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Last I checked Galvis had the 4th highest OPS on the team. Garcia barely has a 700 OPS in the minors. Galvis isn’t great but replacing him with a kid who head never played above A ball was not a good idea. Now if they had thrown in the towel and traded some guys I wouldn’t have an issue with it.
    Never understood why everyone was clamoring for that.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

While some hammer Joey for the missed ball, I look at what happened after that. Bauer was allowing hits and fielding other than Votto was poor. Joey gets the blame because of what he gets paid, which apparently aggravates some people. It's not my money. I don't care what he makes. I do mind the ignoring of Aquino, the love fest with Davidson and others, and the lack of putting Barnhardt in a position where he will help. The Pirates broadcasting team are now just wanting to beat the Reds and move above them.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-04-2020),Revering4Blue (09-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    In the last two weeks, Galvis is hitting .138 with a .460 OPS.
    Galvis has an MLB track record. He was batting 7-8 and that’s where Garcia is playing. Not like he is Fernando Tatis.

No chance Bauer signs up to play with these guys again next year. Hope they hit the lottery with the pick they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Galvis has an MLB track record. He was batting 7-8 and that’s where Garcia is playing. Not like he is Fernando Tatis.
    Sure, but that track record doesn't exactly jump off the page.

He's a career .677 OPS/82 OPS+ guy.

Edit: The Reds were floundering and desperately needed a spark. Might as well try something different. That's why I feel the same way about bringing up Stephenson now.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 09-04-2020 at 10:38 PM.

11. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-04-2020),Ron Madden (09-04-2020)

I probably would have gone Galvis, especially with his new approach against righties... but he wasn’t exactly a sure bet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-04-2020),Tom Servo (09-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Ya it’s the sane shoddy analysis that had many here benching Winker after a handful of genes to start the year.

20 at bats is nothing analysis for a guy with a track record, and it’s tiring seeing the same stuff every time a move doesn’t work out despite having VERY obvious logic to it.

Davidson has a track record?

He has a career .830 ops against lefties, which ranks 4th on the team, and maybe 5th if you include Aquino on 55 at bat sample where he would be 20 points higher.

Davidson was as good a choice as anyone available, in that context.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-05-2020),Ron Madden (09-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    comparing winker and davidson is some massive mental gymnastics on your part.
    In your anti-Reds tirades, do you actually read what the other person posts?

18. Likes:

NebraskaRed (09-05-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-05-2020),Ron Madden (09-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Votto stretches too soon (does that fairly often)

My biggest problem with the play was he lapsed on knowing where his 2nd baseman was. When he plays that far off he has to know where his 2nd baseman is....he took a step and a half after a ball he had no chance at and being not very athletic in his older age struggled to get to bag.

So far this year Votto is the worst defensive first baseman I can remember that plays every day. He’s been very bad. He would agree 100%.
    He's always done that. Votto stretches before the ball is even thrown. I know 1B is considered an easy position, but there is a technique to it. Get to the bag, position your feet, judge the line that the throw is on and then stretch toward the ball. If you stretch before it's even in the air, it makes a throw that's even a little off line an unnecessary error on the defender.

Votto is pretty good at fielding ground balls and making those plays, but he's terrible at the bag itself and that's basically the first baseman's primary job. It's been that way his entire career. 1B is not a throw-away position and we've seen why a lot this year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Nobody wants to say the throw to Votto was a little high.

Can’t say that on here yet. Too soon.
    The throw was a high, but it was completely catchable and a big league first baseman should make that play.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

CmdrCody (09-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Don't you just want a higher-contact guy there who has the best chance of getting on base, with a man on 3rd and 2 out? Davidson is all-or-nothing, and it's usually a whole lot more of the latter. Save Davidson for when there's no one on. A bit odd.
    I think getting the runner in from third was the priority there and Bell chose the all or nothing guy. OTOH, there isn't a Manny Mota sitting over there to choose instead. I'd have used Casali, and left him in to catch, but I can understand not wanting to burn him. They still had Farmer in case Casali got hurt though.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-05-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    While some hammer Joey for the missed ball, I look at what happened after that. Bauer was allowing hits and fielding other than Votto was poor. Joey gets the blame because of what he gets paid, which apparently aggravates some people. It's not my money. I don't care what he makes. I do mind the ignoring of Aquino, the love fest with Davidson and others, and the lack of putting Barnhardt in a position where he will help. The Pirates broadcasting team are now just wanting to beat the Reds and move above them.
    Even Bauer admitted this after the game. Votto's error was costly and it started that little meltdown, but Bauer let it spin out of control.

Turn Off Ads?