Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 9-4-20 Reds vs.Pirates Game 2

Re: 9-4-20 Reds vs.Pirates Game 2

FWIW Davidson has a career .263 ba vs lefties, which is fine, with few high batting average players on the team. I think people are getting a little hung up on his current year batting average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    FWIW Davidson has a career .263 ba vs lefties, which is fine, with few high batting average players on the team. I think people are getting a little hung up on his current year batting average.

I don't know. No one deemed him worth a big league job in 2019 and this year, other than running into an occasional homer, he adds nothing. He can't play defense, he doesn't run well and he doesn't really hit against anybody. I think Davidson is fine on the roster for now, and if they need a HR to tie against a LHP, he's not a bad choice, but if my goal is to get the runner in from third with two outs, he's not a good choice. When Senzel returns, he seems like the least useful guy to keep. Aquino can fill his RH power off the bench role, but can also run and play solid OF defense.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Davidson has been a border line major leaguer. He has almost 4,000 minor league at bats.

Players like Davidson, Nate Jones (leads Reds in pitching appearances) are not the type that one expects on championship caliber teams.

Can’t say never, it happens, but I wouldn’t place too much reliance on that type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know. No one deemed him worth a big league job in 2019 and this year, other than running into an occasional homer, he adds nothing. He can't play defense, he doesn't run well and he doesn't really hit against anybody. I think Davidson is fine on the roster for now, and if they need a HR to tie against a LHP, he's not a bad choice, but if my goal is to get the runner in from third with two outs, he's not a good choice. When Senzel returns, he seems like the least useful guy to keep. Aquino can fill his RH power off the bench role, but can also run and play solid OF defense.
    I mean, 15 trans adopting a DH, and a world with larger rosters gave far more opportunity for a player with such a precise skill set.

He hits lefties well and does nothing else of consequence. Bell uses him in this exact role. It’s logical and based on evidence.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-05-2020)

I would have rather not have Davidson on the roster, but since Davidson is on the roster, he’s not a bad choice to face a LHP in a late inning, clutch situation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would have rather not have Davidson on the roster, but since Davidson is on the roster, he’s not a bad choice to face a LHP in a late inning, clutch situation.
    Over the last 14 days, Matt Davidson has one hit in 23 PAs. (That probably includes yesterday.)

He was a very poor choice. You don’t try to get out of slumps with your season on the line.

BTW, in that same time period Curt Casali has a 1.358 OPS in 22 PAs. And gives a tough at bat every time.

It’s dedication to set roles in a manager’s scheme, rather than riding the hot hand.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-05-2020 at 01:04 PM.

11. Likes:

Indymoon (09-05-2020),mth123 (09-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?