Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any insurance people?

Any insurance people?

Just got my home owner's insurance(Amica) renewal; they changed my roof coverage from replacement to "actual cash value", without asking me or any indication how much I am saving. The premium is $2,000 for $238,000 dwelling coverage-I have had one hail claim in 20 years. The thing is if the house ( house, is 60 years old), was to burn down I would not rebuild. Both the houses directly behind me and next door sold for $520k-$600k and were torn down, the house next door is currently under construction and has already sold for $1.5 million. It is my understanding if you do not rebuild the insurance company will only pay you Actual Cash Value. Now ACV is calculated by Replacement-Depreciation. Depreciation is 3.6% a year so after 27 years a house has $0 ACV. So am I correct that if my house was totaled and I did not rebuild I would collect nothing? Actually the value of my house/lot would increase by $30k if it burned down since it would save demolition cost. Would an insurance company write a policy for $50k coverage to cover damage to a room or two?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any insurance people?

Nope. You'll get ACV if the house burns down and get the recoverable depreciation once you rebuild. If you don't rebuild, you won't get the depreciation (the difference between RCV and ACV). This is assuming you have a replacement cost policy.

And they won't depreciate you the way you're thinking. 3.6% across the board isn't the way it works.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?