Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Dick Williams speaks

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    IIRC, Williams was quoted around a year ago saying something like that with positioning data, that teams can get away with less athletic defenders.

That’s not the same as “defense doesn’t matter” but it’s close.
    It’s choosing priorities and I don’t really disagree with the quote per se. we could all live with it if the offense was top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 09-12-2020 at 06:38 AM.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-12-2020),mth123 (09-12-2020),Revering4Blue (09-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Williams speaks

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, that's categorically untrue.
    Read it 10,000 times on this website from those touted as the best saber experts on this website, of which I have always disagreed with them 100%.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Read it 10,000 times on this website from those touted as the best saber experts on this website, of which I have always disagreed with them 100%.
    That's between you and your hallucinations. The numbers folks are a little obsessive about defensive metrics, especially over the past decade.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

But Defense doesn't matter, so says the saber experts.
    This is quite the strawman
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I think the saber people would say "offense matters more than defense". I don't think they'd say "defense doesn't matter".

8. Likes:

mth123 (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I think the saber people would say "offense matters more than defense". I don't think they'd say "defense doesn't matter".
    Maybe they are finally catching up to me in understanding Defense's value.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Reds last night looked like a bad team, hampered by injuries, confusing use of bullpen, more a high draft candidate than playoff contender.

After all the rebuilding and spending, it’s hard to come up with a rationale to keep all the people running the team in place.

I’m sure we’ll discuss all off-season, but something’s rotten here and they need someone, maybe more than one person, who can diagnose it and begin to implement a cure.

11. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-13-2020),Red Raindog (09-13-2020),REDREAD (09-13-2020)

Haunted by walks

What’s the next step? A rebuild? And in another five years try to win? There wouldn’t be much of a fan base left. What about something like an add-build? Add the Lindors and Realmutos now, and keep building. Nothing complicated about it, just start adding top-quality players every year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is quite the strawman
    All straw, no man.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    What’s the next step? A rebuild? And in another five years try to win? There wouldn’t be much of a fan base left. What about something like an add-build? Add the Lindors and Realmutos now, and keep building. Nothing complicated about it, just start adding top-quality players every year.
    If Castellanos opts out, the Reds will have around $40M to spend this off season, if they keep their payroll the same as this season. A few big holes to fill but there also should be some bargains coming off this weird year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

If Castellanos opts out, the Reds will have around $40M to spend this off season, if they keep their payroll the same as this season. A few big holes to fill but there also should be some bargains coming off this weird year.
    I really doubt Castellanos opts out after his performance this season. He'll be hard pressed to find a better deal. He is suspect in the OF and tends to press instead of relax at times when he is slumping at the plate. He's had some really good pitches to hit and missed them of late.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-13-2020),SirFelixCat (09-14-2020)

Maybe they are finally catching up to me in understanding Defense's value.
    Please don’t mysteriously disappear when challenged, but what in the world are you talking about - the saber people don’t care about defense and/or they are finally catching up to you?

Please cite an example. Many of us don’t know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way Castellanos opts out.
    He was amazing early in the season, but the last 28 days, he's got an OPS of 680.
    Hopefully, it's just a slump and not a weakness that the league has found in his swing.
    I honestly have not been paying enough attention to notice, usually just have the games on as background noise now.
    Maybe someone else has been watching his swings closely and noticed a pattern.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Please don’t mysteriously disappear when challenged, but what in the world are you talking about - the saber people don’t care about defense and/or they are finally catching up to you?

Please cite an example. Many of us don’t know what you are talking about.
    Follow up question: can kingspoint please provide an example where he has demonstrated any credibility compared to anyone about defensive value? I’m equally confused as I have not seen anything from this poster before about defense where I have thought “wow, that was insightful and I learned something about defense”.

Logically, I think for us the catch up to him, we would firstly have to be behind him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Not trying to get in the middle of this argument, but when you look at this roster, Dick Williams clearly did not value defense
    when assembling this team for 2020. His best defenders, Tyler Stephenson and Garcia, were not added until the season was pretty much over and the Reds were out of contention. Moustakas and Costallenous are just bad defenders. Moustakas is already getting kind of old for a middle defender (and did not have much range), his defense will continue to decline.
    Shogo is adequate, but not a plus defender. Galvis (another Williams' add) is mediocre at best defensively.

So I'm not taking the side of whether it is saber or not, but you are right, Williams does not seem to value defense when building a team.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?