Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Re: Dick Williams speaks

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I believe when Castellanos signed, he stated he only wanted to play RF. No LF or DH.
    I remember after the first game of the season (the high point of the year), Cast through a hissy fit after being taken out late for a defensive replacement. I don't remember that happening again this year, but it's absolutely the right move and he should be replaced late in games that the Reds are leading.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree. Any other halfway intelligent team—probably not the Reds—can find an .850 bat with crap defense.
    For the record there were 22 qualified outfielders last year that an 850 Ops, of which Mookie Betts was the only one that switched teams besides Castellanos in the offseason.

It’s actually not that easily obtainable to get that level of offense, and other acquisitions to get better defense would have come at an offensive cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-14-2020),Revering4Blue (09-14-2020),Tom Servo (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Remember Alfonso Soriano refusing to move to LF and Jim Bowden calling his bluff and telling him to retire if he doesn’t want to play? Not only did he play LF that year for Washington, he ended up in left for the rest of his career.
    You see? That's how they get you. They stick you in LF and you never leave.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

westofyou (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    For the record there were 22 qualified outfielders last year that an 850 Ops, of which Mookie Betts was the only one that switched teams besides Castellanos in the offseason.

It’s actually not that easily obtainable to get that level of offense, and other acquisitions to get better defense would have come at an offensive cost.

For 20 million? You can’t find a defense-poor .850 bat for that? Obviously it depends on the FA pool and who’s available, but I don’t think that’s exactly an Earth-shatteringly difficult task.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-14-2020 at 07:34 AM.

I agree. Any other halfway intelligent team—probably not the Reds—can find an .850 bat with crap defense.
    How about Jesse Winker? Sounds like that very player. Won’t cost you much in a trade since he’s already on the team.

Move him to OF, put Votto at DH, and add to the infield.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-14-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Castellanos deal was somewhat favorable to the Reds. He makes $16 million this year, but $6 Million was deferred. In 2021 his salary actually drops to $14 million with $4Million of that deferred as well. He may opt out in spite of his mediocre season. If not he can probably be traded. I like him, but the Reds have an overload and need to change things around.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

757690 (09-14-2020)

For 20 million? You can’t find a defense-poor .850 bat for that? Obviously it depends on the FA pool and who’s available, but I don’t think that’s exactly an Earth-shatteringly difficult task.
    Where does the $20m figure come from? Castellanos annual present value of his deal is something like $13m when including the deferrals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How about Jesse Winker? Sounds like that very player. Won’t cost you much in a trade since he’s already on the team.

Move him to OF, put Votto at DH, and add to the infield.
    Yep. Defensive metrics aren't perfect, but they show Winker and Castellanos as basically a wash -- both ~-11 UZR/150 in the OF (e.g. DHs). So the target pool of replacing Castellanos is basically every single position player. He's a ~2 WAR per 600 PA player. That's what you'd be replacing. That's said, guys who project at league average still don't exactly grow on trees.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Where does the $20m figure come from? Castellanos annual present value of his deal is something like $13m when including the deferrals.

I thought it went it up next season to about that. I’m probably forgetting. Ok. Even 15 million.

I thought it went it up next season to about that. I’m probably forgetting. Ok. Even 15 million.
    I mean, free agency at the time was costing about $6M a win... so Nick at $13-15M feels about right on a long term deal. Again, not like these guys were exchanging teams from one to another at high volume during free agency/trades during off-season.

Bump ?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Bump ?
    They still need to deal with the offense.

Rick's post is aging well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Rick's post is aging well.
    Less than 2 weeks ago. Amazing turnaround.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-21-2020),Tom Servo (09-21-2020)

While it would be fun if the Reds make the playoffs this season, it would be a mistake to then conclude that this team is actually good or that the plan to build it was smart.

This team are contending right now only because half the league gets into the playoffs. In a normal year, this team wouldn’t be sniffing the postseason and would be a disappointment.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?