Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Re: Dick Williams speaks

i had to laugh at the commenst from Bell after the game:
    "Yeah, we continue to play. We continue to compete," Bell said. "This team cares tremendously about going out and doing everything we can to win. And that's all we can do. They're all must-wins. It's the only way to approach every game. So, you know, nothing changes."

Nothing changes is correct.. Same manager, same hitting coach, no urgency, zero adjustments.. Bell and Williams and the GM need to be gone!!

2. Likes:

malcontent (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    It feels like Williams is successful at his job, which is overseeing the baseball operations of a profitable, below average franchise.

He's like the president of a modest mattress company in Ohio and we're invested customers who think the only metric for success is de-throning Sit 'N' Sleep as the #1 chain in America. If they turn a profit and customers keep coming in, the president has done his job in the eyes of the owner of Red's Relax & Nap.
    You are very sarcastic usually so I don’t know if you’re being serious but I think you’re right with this take.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

5. Likes:

Crumbley (09-09-2020),mth123 (09-09-2020)

What a loser

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    It feels like Williams is successful at his job, which is overseeing the baseball operations of a profitable, below average franchise.

He's like the president of a modest mattress company in Ohio and we're invested customers who think the only metric for success is de-throning Sit 'N' Sleep as the #1 chain in America. If they turn a profit and customers keep coming in, the president has done his job in the eyes of the owner of Red's Relax & Nap.
    Yep. This is a for profit business. Making profit is the primary goal. We'd like to think it's winning, and it certainly is a goal, but mostly because that increases profit.

Hollywood doesn't make multiple movies about comic book super-heroes every year because they win a bunch of Oscars. They keep making them because they are raking in the dough. As long as that keeps happening, they are fine letting some other low budget, barely attended slow moving, sleep inducing drama win the awards.

I think the Reds are the same way. If tanking is the path to profits, they tank. If sales start lagging after a few years, they make some moves to re-invigorate the fan base. Now that that seems to be wearing off, the next move is some other changes. Probably scape-goating the Manager and Coaches (though the Manager deserves to be canned) and blaming bad luck.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Kinsm (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shatz1988 View Post
    He basically said that everyone watching is dumb and the front office knows everything. What a joke. All of the information they have is obviously garbage.
    If that's what you took from that I'm sorry, but you must be a real joy at parties. A real negative Nancy!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

[QUOTE=RedTeamGo!;4149422]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I didn’t say anything about gritty players.

The BABIP is low because they are swinging for the fences. You stated you don’t watch the games. It shows.
    Dude...that's the game that is being played today. Launch angles and exit velocity. It's not the game we grew up watching, but it's what is being played now.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-09-2020),dfs (09-09-2020)

Dick Williams is lost. The higher ups have shown they will stand pat. That leaves us fans left dangling. I wish we all lived in Cincy and could show our frustration to the circus on charge with a gathering a GAB

14. Likes:

joshua (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

I agree with Larry that it’s probably safe for Dick because he’s ultimately turning the turnstiles. Still, you get the impression that Dick’s pretty frustrated and trying to couch it in “trust the process” platitudes. I get the feeling that someone’s head is going to roll pretty soon.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree with Larry that it’s probably safe for Dick because he’s ultimately turning the turnstiles. Still, you get the impression that Dick’s pretty frustrated and trying to couch it in “trust the process” platitudes. I get the feeling that someone’s head is going to roll pretty soon.
    Spoiler alert, they won't have the last name of Castellini, Williams, or Bell.

"Blood's thicker than the mud."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-09-2020),joshua (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Respectfully, I do not agree. Most lineups are 5-6 "hitters" deep. I think pointing the finger at the 6-9 hitters is the wrong perception....the primary issue with the Reds offense is they are getting next to nothing from the top of the lineup. If you are hitting in the 1-5 spot in the lineup, you are likely getting paid to produce at the plate on a fairly consistent basis, and that has not happened for the Reds this year. We got about a week out of Castellanos and a couple weeks out of Winker playing like MVP's, but everything else has been below average. I said earlier tonight, since i was a child i recall being excited when going to commercial and the top of the lineup was due up....but it means little to nothing this year.
    I normally would not blame secondary hitters. But the dozen guys I mentioned have amassed 617 PAs this season.

This group has wRC+ (league average 100) ranging from a high of 82 down to below zero. Very damaging to overall team production at 617 PAs in 42 games.

There was no relief or support for the major guys, too few producing hitters. And for all their BA troubles, the main guys (other than Moose at 97) all have wRC+ above 100, up to 161 for Winker.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-09-2020 at 09:15 AM.

20. Likes:

joshua (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

[QUOTE=dubc47834;4149476]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Dude...that's the game that is being played today. Launch angles and exit velocity. It's not the game we grew up watching, but it's what is being played now.
    I think this is overstated, not every team has been put together like that. The reds went the extreme route with it and it shows.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

joshua (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-09-2020)

even the orioles are in the playoff mix

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know people want blood, but I find Williams clear-eyed and level-headed. I see and hear a process that is thoughtful and focused on the right things.
    I don't think Williams is focused on the right things though.
    He loaded up on LH hitters that are vulnerable to the shift (Sure, some of them he inherited)
    That's not "bad luck", that's the Reds sabermetric department being years behind "state of the art".
    Nick Castellenos was a good sign.. but Shogo, Moustakas, Strop, and Miley have been disasters.
    Dick Williams is just like his team.. batting 200

He ignored the bullpen all winter, although at least he picked up Archie at the trade deadline, but that
    was too little, too late.

He has made some good moves in his tenure, but this year shows that he can not build a winner, even when given a ton of money in the offseason. For him to blame it on bad luck is
    not taking accountability at all.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

25. Likes:

joshua (09-09-2020),texasdave (09-09-2020),wally post (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gant View Post
    TL;DR.

Pro Tip: Don't use so many paragraphs.
    Come on, man.

27. Likes:

Always Red (09-09-2020),Edd Roush (09-09-2020),fondfoat (09-10-2020),onehand (09-09-2020),Plus Plus (09-09-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-09-2020),Roy Tucker (09-09-2020),SirFelixCat (09-09-2020),westofyou (09-09-2020)

Apparently, the Reds are the only team in the league where bad things are happening.

29. Likes:

HammerTime (09-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?