Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams speaks

Haunted by walks

Re: Dick Williams speaks

How does all this compare to the optimism we had at the beginning of the season, and around baseball that the Reds could win the Central this time? Even today, I heard on Power Alley on SiriusXM that the Reds could still, possibly, make a run for it, because they have the talent.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

wow ackman vs icahn who knew this would come up on redszone , fantastic

So luck should turn, right?

6. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020)

The ONLY bad luck the reds really have is having Dick Williams as the GM and David Bell as the manager.....

8. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020),Redsfan6272 (09-09-2020)

BABIP is one of the most misleading stats in baseball as the "in play" does not take into account the count. Averages on 2-0 are a hell of a lot higher than 0-2. If your simply making weak contact behind in the count, you make easy outs. Also arrogantly trying to pull the ball by the shift instead of going the other way is a BABIP killer.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Red Man Rick I respect your analysis, what would YOU have done with Aquino this year
    I can't really answer that question fairly because it has entirely to do with what my scouts and coaches would be telling me.

That said, I'm not nearly as bullish on him as many around here. As "young" players go, he's old, already in his age 26 season. His lack of plate discipline makes him liable to be exposed as the league gets more looks at him, which seemed to happen in September last year. The homers in August were awesome, but also not replicable at that rate. That's not his talent level. And if the homers are merely really good instead of Bondsian, what's the total value of the package? Defensively, his arm is great, but his range/glove is just solid. All told, the projection for him is as a bench guy. Is there a higher ceiling there? Sure, but you can dream on almost anybody if you want to tell yourself stories about them fixing their weaknesses.

Ultimately though, the question is where does he play? You've already got Winker, Castellanos, Senzel, Akiyama, Ervin coming into the season. You've also got Josh VanMeter (look at his 2019 in AAA), Mark Payton as a rule V, Travis Jankowski and now Brian Goodwin as a defense CF backup. I could have done without Payton and Jankowski, but that doesn't exactly put him at the top of the list.

Could I put him on my bench, especially when Castellanos was out? Sure. But what am I actually expecting out of him, especially if he's not playing CF? That's not nothing, but all in, it's not notably different from a bunch of other options. And now if my scouts are telling me that he needs dedicated work at something before he can be a real threat to play everyday, do I want him in the majors getting 5 PA a week rather than developing in Prasco? I don't know.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-09-2020),Edd Roush (09-09-2020),westofyou (09-09-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It reminds me a lot of Neal Huntington and Rick Hahn. Really smart guys who say all the right things in interviews but at the end of the day their teams don't win more games than they lose...
    "What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass."

---William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-11-2020)

Reds Winning % by season under Dick.

17 .420
    18 .414
    19 .464
    20 .429

Farm system is a joke

International signings abysmal.

Why would this guy keep his job?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You've also got Josh VanMeter (look at his 2019 in AAA).
    You lost me here.

Aquino had just a strong season in AAA in 2019 and performed significantly better in the majors as well. You talk about the league catching up to Aquino in September (really it just was for two weeks, as he was strong the last two weeks) but ignore that the league caught up to JVM rather quickly as he slumped mightily through all of August and September.

Basically Aquino was strong in the majors except for two weeks, while JVM was poor in the majors except for two weeks.

I was okay with Aquino starting the season at Presco, not happy about it, but there were arguments for it, but as soon as injuries happened, he should have been the first one up and getting regular playing time. It’s such poor decision making that he wasn’t.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

malcontent (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-11-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You lost me here.

Aquino had just a strong season in AAA in 2019 and performed significantly better in the majors as well. You talk about the league catching up to Aquino in September (really it just was for two weeks, as he was strong the last two weeks) but ignore that the league caught up to JVM rather quickly as he slumped mightily through all of August and September.

Basically Aquino was strong in the majors except for two weeks, while JVM was poor in the majors except for two weeks.

I was okay with Aquino starting the season at Presco, not happy about it, but there were arguments for it, but as soon as injuries happened, he should have been the first one up and getting regular playing time. It’s such poor decision making that he wasn’t.
    And to expand on that, I can understand all of the metrics that seem to paint Aquino unfavorably, but at the same time, if your alternatives are playing Matt Davidson, Christian Colon, or Mark Payton, then you are really dropping the ball by not at least looking at Aquino to see what you have with him. His worst case scenario is more or less what you’d expect from the rest of those scrubs.

19. Likes:

757690 (09-09-2020),alwaysawarrior (09-10-2020),membengal (09-10-2020),REDREAD (09-11-2020)

The question is whether you prioritize player development vs current year performance, not whether he’s as good as those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The question is whether you prioritize player development vs current year performance, not whether he’s as good as those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean whether you prioritized one of those things above the other, there was basically zero reason to leave him off the roster in favor of any of the players I mentioned a couple posts up.

22. Likes:

757690 (09-09-2020),REDREAD (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know people want blood, but I find Williams clear-eyed and level-headed. I see and hear a process that is thoughtful and focused on the right things.

I share the same anger and frustration with the outcome of the season as you guys do -- I basically can't bring myself to actually watch the games. But I am cautious not to confuse my anger for cogent analysis of what's actually going wrong and what needs to change.
    I don't see a process that's all that "thoughtful" or focused on the right things, and it's been that way for the vast majority of my life from this organization.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You lost me here.

I see this cited quite a bit so just the facts.

Last 2 weeks. Sept 16-29. .788 OPS. 4 HR 18 K 54 PA

I'll call that decent.

Personally, I prefer saying he hit very good in 2019.

For the year a .891 OPS. With the caveat that the first half he was 1.158 OPS and the second half .619 OPS. I fear the league caught onto something and adjustments were made both ways.

It truly was a freakish season and slicing it up frankly perverts things from both "sides."

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I see this cited quite a bit so just the facts.

Last 2 weeks. Sept 16-29. .788 OPS. 4 HR 18 K 54 PA

I'll call that decent.

Personally, I prefer saying he hit very good in 2019.

For the year a .891 OPS. With the caveat that the first half he was 1.158 OPS and the second half .619 OPS. I fear the league caught onto something and adjustments were made both ways.

It truly was a freakish season and slicing it up frankly perverts things from both "sides."
    That was 12 games. Over the last 11 games, a thirteen day period, his OPS was .874.

Whatever you want to call it, he finished strong at the end of the season, backing up your point that adjustments were made on both sides.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?