Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 guys the reds gave up on too soon

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 10 guys the reds gave up on too soon

Jim Coombs
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-13-2020),Chip R (09-17-2020),Edd Roush (09-18-2020),KronoRed (09-09-2020),savafan (09-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Konerko, Encarnacion, and Hoffman seem like the most obvious three of the last 30 years, with Turner and Wetteland getting honorable mention despite the latter’s horrific off the field (alleged) behavior. I really hope we don’t have to add a name like Jeter Downs or Josiah Gray to the list.

O’Neill and Chapman strike me more as guys where the Reds knew what they had, they just made really ill-advised trades. I too thought Roberto Kelly would be a stud. The Chapman deal was an obvious colossal blunder the moment it was made.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-09-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Zach Stewart
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Chip R (09-17-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-11-2020)

wow I had cuellar osteen and flood right from memory as the first post,, yet west of you mentioned tow of them I am honored as is Octavio (Cookie Rojas), Luis Arroyo Yanks firemen was originally a red, dan wilson a pretty good catcher for seattle was originally a red

Hal McRae
    Traded by the Cincinnati Reds with Wayne Simpson to the Kansas City Royals for Roger Nelson and Richie Scheinblum.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    BTW, Reds did not give up on Hal Mcrae too soon. He turned out to be everything they expected which was not as valuable as having a guy hitting about .360 in the minors by the name of Griffey.
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Someone at baseball-reference.com has a sense of humor. For O'Neill it reads: Bats: Left. Throws: Left. Kicks: Left.

For anyone out there that doesn't understand that reference: The Greatest Play in Baseball History.

If you listen to the video you can hear someone in the crowd yelling twice "Hey ,,,,,,, get your head out of your @ss"
    Very funny. I couldn't make out the name who they were yelling at but I would assume it had to be Paul.

I disagree on EE. It opened up 3rd for Rolen. I feel Scott changed the culture of the clubhouse. I think we see now how important that is. Quite frankly, I think the team has been missing that presence since he retired.

13. Likes:

M2 (09-20-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I disagree on EE. It opened up 3rd for Rolen. I feel Scott changed the culture of the clubhouse. I think we see now how important that is. Quite frankly, I think the team has been missing that presence since he retired.
    I'm coming around to this idea as well. I think this team needs an every day player who has been an above average regular on winning teams most of his career. Moustakas is as close as it gets.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Trevor Hoffman.

they were adroit enough to turn him from a shortstop to a pitcher,then they then failed to protect him

He was the property of the Reds for about 2 weeks, but never played a game for them. He went on to win 373 games in the bigs. Christy Mathewson. He played briefly as a Red at the end of his career. Ed Roush came along with Mathewson in that return deal to Cincinnati.

Rusie pitched one season for the Reds, and stunk up the joint.
    In fact only pitched in 3 games.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He was the property of the Reds for about 2 weeks, but never played a game for them. He went on to win 373 games in the bigs. Christy Mathewson. He played briefly as a Red at the end of his career. Ed Roush came along with Mathewson in that return deal to Cincinnati.

Rusie pitched one season for the Reds, and stunk up the joint.
    The Mathewson was a Red thing is something that almost certainly was never true (unless we count the 1 game he pitched for them before he retired in 1916 at age 35).

https://www.redreporter.com/2016/12/...isty-mathewson

19. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Mathewson was a Red thing is something that almost certainly was never true (unless we count the 1 game he pitched for them before he retired in 1916 at age 35).

https://www.redreporter.com/2016/12/...isty-mathewson

Reds owner Brush owned a portion of the Giants and wanted to own them (he eventually did) Matty was drafted with the promise to send him back to NY, the goal was always to pump talent into the big city team, even at the expense of the Reds. The press back then wasn't going to report it, it was back room deal and it went off perfectly

Matty was also a member of the A's prior to the first season of the AL. He signed a contract and was ready to jump but was bulldozed by Giants owner Andrew Freedman to not honor it, Matty later admitted back then that he was young and afraid to rock the boat and he decided to stick with the Giants rather than be sued

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Adam Duvall
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?