Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs?

Re: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    At the grocery store I go to, people just ignore all that and go wherever they want. I think a three hour ball game would prove impossible to maintain distancing. At the grocery, people are in and out, not all sitting together for three hours.

Assuming they could. There probably would be no services or concessions. Would anyone actually want to go to a gme where you are sparsely spread out and have no access to anything other than sitting and watching the game? Doesn't seem the experience is much more than sitting and watching on TV other than the cost of a ticket and to park the car.
    Concessions with limited attendance would not be issue. Restaurants are serving people outside already. If HS and colleges have fans MLB could on limited scale. Masks, ushers to maintain things, cleanup crews for RR facilities. Being outdoors makes even more of a reality to work.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs

I don’t see what 25% attendance adds.

Seems like a gimmick to me.

Still not a regular game atmosphere. Maybe the owners get a little more revenue.

5. Likes:

mth123 (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t see what 25% attendance adds.

Seems like a gimmick to me.

Still not a regular game atmosphere. Maybe the owners get a little more revenue.
    Reds play lot of games at that capacity last few years. Not many there agreed but it would at least make it close to some normal sounds.

7. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (09-12-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Reds play lot of games at that capacity last few years. Not many there agreed but it would at least make it close to some normal sounds.
    That low capacity reflected fan apathy, not the Reds’ intended experience.

I don’t see that as a plan, rather it was a poor showing. Not sure Reds want to repeat that on purpose. Even if it increases noise volume slightly.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That low capacity reflected fan apathy, not the Reds’ intended experience.

I don’t see that as a plan, rather it was a poor showing. Not sure Reds want to repeat that on purpose. Even if it increases noise volume slightly.
    Sure. All comes down to having some or none. I vote for some as does the broadcasting crew for Reds. I’d say the players would agree.

If I was a football player or coach I wouldn't want to risk the millions of dollars I was making to have fans in the stands in a closed stadium where the air from 20,000 people (fans, personnel and everyone involved in breathing into the air inside that stadium) having their COVID-19 breaths being circulated throughout the ventilation system. Out of 20,000 people, there will be at least 1,000 with COVID-19 in that stadium (only half will show any kind of symptons, and less than one-fourth of that will show any symptoms detectable by people at the gate). It would certainly spread to everyone in the stadium.

An open-air stadium with perhaps 10,000 people, where 8,000 are fans and 2,000 are personnel including team members, stadium personnel, medical staffing, stadium staffing, etc. (not what I saw in Kansas City where they had too many people who were also sitting way too close together) might work. No way it works in the NBA. There won't be any fans in the stands in the NBA before May. Not enough people will have been tested. Baseball could do it now with the 10,000 scenario.

Of course, the Governors will all have a different agenda after the election, so we'll see what the populated States across the Coastlines come up with as far as crowd capacity goes at public events. They really need to separate outdoor from indoor events, though. Have not seen that done at all from any State.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-12-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If I was a football player or coach I wouldn't want to risk the millions of dollars I was making to have fans in the stands in a closed stadium where the air from 20,000 people (fans, personnel and everyone involved in breathing into the air inside that stadium) having their COVID-19 breaths being circulated throughout the ventilation system. Out of 20,000 people, there will be at least 1,000 with COVID-19 in that stadium (only half will show any kind of symptons, and less than one-fourth of that will show any symptoms detectable by people at the gate). It would certainly spread to everyone in the stadium.

An open-air stadium with perhaps 10,000 people, where 8,000 are fans and 2,000 are personnel including team members, stadium personnel, medical staffing, stadium staffing, etc. (not what I saw in Kansas City where they had too many people who were also sitting way too close together) might work. No way it works in the NBA. There won't be any fans in the stands in the NBA before May. Not enough people will have been tested. Baseball could do it now with the 10,000 scenario.

Of course, the Governors will all have a different agenda after the election, so we'll see what the populated States across the Coastlines come up with as far as crowd capacity goes at public events. They really need to separate outdoor from indoor events, though. Have not seen that done at all from any State.
    I thought most states have different restrictions for indoor vs. outdoor? At least in Illinois, outdoor venues can have 25% capacity, while indoor spectator sports are not approved for any attendance right now.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I thought most states have different restrictions for indoor vs. outdoor? At least in Illinois, outdoor venues can have 25% capacity, while indoor spectator sports are not approved for any attendance right now.
    I didn't know that some states have made a difference between the two.

In Oregon, it's "No Soup For YOU!!!".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Would anyone actually want to go to a gme where you are sparsely spread out and have no access to anything other than sitting and watching the game?
    Is this a trick question?

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Is this a trick question?
    No. Sitting there wearing a mask with no ability to move around or use concessions sounds miserable to me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No. Sitting there wearing a mask with no ability to move around or use concessions sounds miserable to me.
    That makes no sense to me. Being spread out so that you're not crowded in sounds amazing. Bring your own water. All you're missing out on is the $10 beers. I can manage that.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Don't know how I could get stopped from going after all of the foul balls.

I went to dozens of games in the A's Stadium and at Candlestick with less than 3,000 people. They cut off the beer after the 6th innings, so you'd plan for that and drink before you went in.

No problem. Get to sit wherever you want and pay for General Admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    That was the wildest (most unbelievable) pennant race of my lifetime.
    And the most heartbreaking!
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That makes no sense to me. Being spread out so that you're not crowded in sounds amazing. Bring your own water. All you're missing out on is the $10 beers. I can manage that.
    Sounds like games in Montreal back in the Expos days though you could sit almost anywhere and move around to different sections if you wanted. I had some great days out doing that.

Turn Off Ads?