Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs?

So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs?

You'd think this is feasible requiring masks and limited capacity.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs

I don't think all NFL teams are doing that, some colleges aren't even having football seasons , and is MLB for sure not having any? (I thought it was still possible although w/limited crowds)

Re: So NFL is allowing fans in as is college football. Why not baseball for playoffs

If I was MLB, I would say F#$@ it, and allow a full stadium for the World Series.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2020)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I don't think all NFL teams are doing that, some colleges aren't even having football seasons , and is MLB for sure not having any? (I thought it was still possible although w/limited crowds)
    Looks like four NFL teams are allowing it over the first two weeks. I think that it will likely go smoothly, people will see that it’s actually quite easy to distance in a stadium with 25% capacity, and more will follow suit. I understand MLB not wanting to add a layer of complication to this back when they started, but I l’ve also always thought it was a bit silly not allowing limited capacity; especially if masks are required as well. It’s a bit illogical not to do so.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Looks like four NFL teams are allowing it over the first two weeks. I think that it will likely go smoothly, people will see that it’s actually quite easy to distance in a stadium with 25% capacity, and more will follow suit. I understand MLB not wanting to add a layer of complication to this back when they started, but I l’ve also always thought it was a bit silly not allowing limited capacity; especially if masks are required as well. It’s a bit illogical not to do so.
    Except all 25% are going to want the best seat possible. That empty seat near midfield or behind home plate is going to be difficult to keep empty. 25% capacity at a ballpark is thousands of people. I'm glad I'm not the guy who would need to keep them all from moving around.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How much of it is because local guidelines are different in various places? Some NFL coaches have mentioned competitive disadvantages between teams that can and cannot have fans
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 09-10-2020 at 09:01 AM.

I mean, it's really silly for the Chiefs to have 17,000 fans and the Royals to have zero given that their stadiums are about 100 yards apart.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2020),Banshee (09-13-2020),Edd Roush (09-10-2020),MR X (09-10-2020),Old school 1983 (09-10-2020),REDREAD (09-11-2020),UK Reds Fan (09-10-2020)

As a fan of the Reds, this thread may not be relevant to me this year.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As a fan of the Reds, this thread may not be relevant to me this year.
    MAY not?

MAY not?

In 1964... on Sept 15, the Reds were 8.5 games out. By Sept 27, they had a 1 game lead. It can happen. Not often, but baseball can be a wacky game.

Oh, and they lost the pennant on the last day of the season
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Hamilton95 (09-15-2020),Ron Madden (09-10-2020)

MAY not?

Hope springs eternal and they are only 2.5 games out of a playoff spot. Just when I think I am out, they pull me back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    In 1964... on Sept 15, the Reds were 8.5 games out. By Sept 27, they had a 1 game lead. It can happen. Not often, but baseball can be a wacky game.

Oh, and they lost the pennant on the last day of the season
    That was the wildest (most unbelievable) pennant race of my lifetime.

18. Likes:

Hamilton95 (09-15-2020),Roy Tucker (09-12-2020)

Why wouldn't it work to allow some fans to sit in seats that aren't close to seats where other fans can sit and do the same thing they do at grocery stores to prevent people from going near other people?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-14-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Why wouldn't it work to allow some fans to sit in seats that aren't close to seats where other fans can sit and do the same thing they do at grocery stores to prevent people from going near other people?
    They could do it. It’s amazing they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    At the grocery store I go to, people just ignore all that and go wherever they want. I think a three hour ball game would prove impossible to maintain distancing. At the grocery, people are in and out, not all sitting together for three hours.

Assuming they could. There probably would be no services or concessions. Would anyone actually want to go to a gme where you are sparsely spread out and have no access to anything other than sitting and watching the game? Doesn't seem the experience is much more than sitting and watching on TV other than the cost of a ticket and to park the car.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?