Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which 2020 rule changes will survive?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • NL DH

35 94.59%
  • Runner on 2nd for extra innings

7 18.92%
  • 7 inning doubleheaders

9 24.32%
  • Expanded rosters (Greater than 26)

10 27.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 2020 rules will be continued?

Which 2020 rules will be continued?

Due to the unusual situation this season, We have seen the rule changes for the 2020 season. My question is which rules will survive for 2021 and beyond? Doesn't matter whether you like or dislike them, which ones do you think will stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which 2020 rules will be continued?

The NL should keep the Designated Hitter, not sure if it will happen

4. Likes:

REDREAD (09-10-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The NL should keep the Designated Hitter, not sure if it will happen
    Agreed. I thought I would hate it...but I don’t even notice it.

It may be an unpopular opinion...but I really like the 7 inning double headers too. It’s just enough baseball in afternoon/evening to watch two games.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-10-2020),marcshoe (09-10-2020)

Keep the DH. Something for Joey.

I hope they expand rosters to 28 with only with only about 23-24 allowed to suit up since at least 4-5 are not needed (Starting Pitchers). I realize this would mean David Bell would need to be fired because he would use almost his whole bench by the 7th. If there is a DH then you can add 1 pitcher and position player. I know teams hate playing DH but better than playing through bad weather.

These are my hopes. My dreams.

The only new rule that I thought I would dislike this year was having the runner on 2nd for extra innings.

But I really enjoy it.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (09-10-2020)

I'm for keeping the DH or getting rid of it in the AL. Just make it the same across MLB.

Hate the runner on second and the expanded rosters adding too many minor leaguers.

I can take or leave the 7 Inning Double HEaders, but I'd prefer 9 inning games.

Not on the list is the 3 batter minimum. I don't like it. Every move has advantages and consequences. If a team wants to burn guys for one batter, I think they should be able to weigh those trade-offs and do what they want.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

757690 (09-10-2020),REDREAD (09-10-2020)

Another thing not on the list is the geographical nature of the schedule. I'm all for it. Lets disband the AL and the NL and make three leagues, West, Central and East, and play only the 162 games against the teams you are directly competing with. 1st and 2nd place teams make the play-offs, with the two best overall records getting byes in the first round.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (09-10-2020)

Knowing Manfred they will ditch the DH and make all games 7 innings.
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-10-2020)

I would keep all the new rules. But I wouldn’t expand rosters beyond 26.

I don’t like all the extra players, particularly with Bell’s heavy use of the bench. I prefer a tighter roster with guys having more regular roles.

They’d have to adopt a limit on 7-inning doubleheaders per team. But I like them, they make a doubleheader watchable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-10-2020 at 07:36 PM.

I voted for all of them. They're looking to shake up the game. So I think they'll keep all of it. The bigger question with 7 inning doubleheaders is do they just shift to 7 inning games? That will shorten game times and eliminate a whole pile of crap relievers.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I really hated how Manfred instituted the "a team can only have 5 or fewer hits" rule. Oh Wait...

19. Likes:

M2 (09-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I voted for all of them. They're looking to shake up the game. So I think they'll keep all of it. The bigger question with 7 inning doubleheaders is do they just shift to 7 inning games? That will shorten game times and eliminate a whole pile of crap relievers.
    I don't think any way they will reduce the number of between innings commercials. Less innings, less commercials, less money. It will never happen. Networks won't let it.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (09-10-2020)

If they institute the monstrosities 7 inning DH and the extra inning runner on second rule, I can’t see myself watching many games. These are rules designed by people who don’t like baseball. I want more baseball, not less.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I can see the expanded roster as the union loves this. Owners hate it. I can see the DH as the union loves this. I can see the runner on second but I hope not. Double headers are rare so I can see them moving to 7 innings as well. I'm sure all this will be negotiated.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think any way they will reduce the number of between innings commercials. Less innings, less commercials, less money. It will never happen. Networks won't let it.
    The tradeoff might be higher viewership. They'll have data from the 7 inning contests to see if people stick with the game better knowing the end is closer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

26. Likes:

Chip R (09-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?