Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 176

Thread: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

  1. #1
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,999

    9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    First Pitch 8:15PM

    Reds
    1. Shogo Akiyama (L) LF
    2. Nick Castellanos (R) RF
    3. Joey Votto (L) 1B
    4. Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
    5. Brian Goodwin (L) CF
    6. Freddy Galvis (S) 2B
    7. Aristides Aquino (R) DH
    8. Tucker Barnhart (L) C
    9. Kyle Farmer (R) SS
    SP Tejay Antone (R)

    Cardinals

    SP Dakota Hudson (R)


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    First Pitch 8:15PM

    Reds
    1. Shogo Akiyama (L) LF
    2. Nick Castellanos (R) RF
    3. Joey Votto (L) 1B
    4. Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
    5. Brian Goodwin (L) CF
    6. Freddy Galvis (S) 2B
    7. Aristides Aquino (R) DH
    8. Tucker Barnhart (L) C
    9. Kyle Farmer (R) SS
    SP Tejay Antone (R)

    Cardinals

    SP Dakota Hudson (R)
    Aquino due for blast. Garcia was being tortured with curve balls. Akiyama hitting well. Hope Moustakas recovers soon as he’s missed considerable time from hbp.

  4. #3
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,909

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    The Reds really must not be happy with Galvis at SS. Farmer at short and Galvis at 2B. I think this explains Garcia.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  5. #4
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds really must not be happy with Galvis at SS. Farmer at short and Galvis at 2B. I think this explains Garcia.
    Yep, Garcia fields really well. Just needs work on his hitting and would not be surprised to see him in AAA next spring. Reds will be in the market for SS this winter I would guess and missing on Iglesias last year was another FO mistake.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Marietta, OH
    Posts
    173

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Yep, Garcia fields really well. Just needs work on his hitting and would not be surprised to see him in AAA next spring. Reds will be in the market for SS this winter I would guess and missing on Iglesias last year was another FO mistake.
    Just work on hitting? The most difficult thing in sports is to be proficient in hitting in baseball.

  7. #6
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,351

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds really must not be happy with Galvis at SS. Farmer at short and Galvis at 2B. I think this explains Garcia.
    Nothing explains Kyle Farmer at SS or anywhere, and yet we’ve seen it for two seasons straight.

  8. Likes:

    757690 (09-12-2020),WVRedsFan (09-13-2020)

  9. #7
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    Just work on hitting? The most difficult thing in sports is to be proficient in hitting in baseball.
    Yes, work on hitting. Dave Concepcion was a 200 hitter when he arrived. Even Akiyama is showing how work is paying off after terrible start. Garcia has never played above high A ball! He needs work.

  10. #8
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,909

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Nothing explains Kyle Farmer at SS or anywhere, and yet we’ve seen it for two seasons straight.
    IMO, you're wrong about Farmer. He was a very solid defensive IF as an amateur. LA had him learn to catch to increase versatility and maybe make his bat acceptable for the position. . He's a good defensive infielder. His bat is a little light, but he has some pop.

    People hold the fact that he's been a Catcher against him and think he can't play elsewhere. It's actually the opposite. He was asked to Catch because he is good enough to do it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  11. Likes:

    Red Raindog (09-12-2020),Ron Madden (09-13-2020)

  12. #9
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    IMO, you're wrong about Farmer. He was a very solid defensive IF as an amateur. LA had him learn to catch to increase versatility and maybe make his bat acceptable for the position. . He's a good defensive infielder. His bat is a little light, but he has some pop.

    People hold the fact that he's been a Catcher against him and think he can't play elsewhere. It's actually the opposite. He was asked to Catch because he is good enough to do it.
    Very versatile. Good player to have on the club actually and Reds need more than can come off the bench and contribute.

  13. #10
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,909

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Very versatile. Good player to have on the club actually and Reds need more than can come off the bench and contribute.
    Other than Garcia, he's easily the best defensive IF on the roster. That's not saying much because the infield is awful. The OF has the terrible defensive rep (and it may be deserved) but those guys are Clemente, Mays and Bonds compared to these guys in the IF.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  14. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Marietta, OH
    Posts
    173

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Yes, work on hitting. Dave Concepcion was a 200 hitter when he arrived. Even Akiyama is showing how work is paying off after terrible start. Garcia has never played above high A ball! He needs work.
    I was just taking exception to the word "just", like it's a matter of fact. Like just working on it is going to insure he becomes proficient. Like someone said, their baseball career ended at 16 with the curve ball they couldn't hit! Of course, work on it, but that is no guarantee of success.

  15. #12
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,413

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    IMO, you're wrong about Farmer. He was a very solid defensive IF as an amateur. LA had him learn to catch to increase versatility and maybe make his bat acceptable for the position. . He's a good defensive infielder. His bat is a little light, but he has some pop.

    People hold the fact that he's been a Catcher against him and think he can't play elsewhere. It's actually the opposite. He was asked to Catch because he is good enough to do it.
    Farmer is decent with the glove at spots that are hard to fill. But his bat is not "a little light." It's bad.

    Career 71 OPS+
    25.1 K rate, 4.9 BB rate. That's pitcher territory.

    With Garcia and Stephenson up, he serves little purpose on this roster.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  16. Likes:

    Mitri (09-12-2020)

  17. #13
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,351

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Farmer is decent with the glove at spots that are hard to fill. But his bat is not "a little light." It's bad.

    Career 71 OPS+
    25.1 K rate, 4.9 BB rate. That's pitcher territory.

    With Garcia and Stephenson up, he serves little purpose on this roster.
    Exactly. I'm fine with his glove. I like the versatility it adds. But his bat does nothing. I keep waiting for...something...anything...to justify him being on the roster. Really they should have given his role to Alex Blandino, at least we could finally see if he's a keeper.

    Reds should be adding a better MI for next season, especially if they move Moose more onto the corners, which they should.

  18. #14
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    I was just taking exception to the word "just", like it's a matter of fact. Like just working on it is going to insure he becomes proficient. Like someone said, their baseball career ended at 16 with the curve ball they couldn't hit! Of course, work on it, but that is no guarantee of success.
    Garcia is a professional and Reds had him in spring training this year and he hit well. He obviously has talent. He "just" needs the ABs in the minors would be my idea/guess as hitting A ball pitching and hitting Wainwright is not in the same universe. Of course he could flop and let's hope he doesn't as the club needs a SS badly.

  19. #15
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,909

    Re: 9-12-20 Reds @ Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Exactly. I'm fine with his glove. I like the versatility it adds. But his bat does nothing. I keep waiting for...something...anything...to justify him being on the roster. Really they should have given his role to Alex Blandino, at least we could finally see if he's a keeper.

    Reds should be adding a better MI for next season, especially if they move Moose more onto the corners, which they should.
    So Farmer's SS today because he's Babe Ruth compared to Garcia and Ozzie Smith compared to Galvis. I do think Galvis is a good glove at 2B. Defensively, he's a lot like Peraza from what I see.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator