Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds stats after 45 games, 2020

Re: Reds stats after 45 games, 2020

Yeah I think the only way Reds get Bauer back is if he decides to accept the QO or takes a discount because he likes being a Red (highly unlikely given the defensive play behind him). Assuming the rich teams are spending like normal for 2021, he'll be one of the most sought after starting pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The biggest change needed for 2021 is to tear down their current hitting philosophy/strategy and start over. First step is obviously to fire the hitting coach. If i'm managing next year, I make them practice hitting the other way against a shift until their hands are bleeding.

4. Likes:

sdm24 (09-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    The biggest change needed for 2021 is to tear down their current hitting philosophy/strategy and start over. First step is obviously to fire the hitting coach. If i'm managing next year, I make them practice hitting the other way against a shift until their hands are bleeding.
    True. That is probably key area to be emphasized through the minors for all teams. The game evolves. Galvis with nice bunt last night for hit . May see more of that from hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I’d guess the hitting coach is just the implementer on the offensive style. This is an analytics thing, walks and homers, and it probably comes from the FO and Bell as much as anyone. It didn’t work under the last hitting coach either. They may fire him but it’s just a band aid.

I doubt they will change the philosophy dramatically, they’ll probably just supplement with a few new guys.

Reds probably figured that Shogo, Votto and Winker would supply enough base hits to balance out the lineup. Obviously wasn’t enough.

I’m sympathetic to your viewpoint, I like pressure baseball, lots of hits all over the field. Not sure we’ll see such a dramatic change.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2020 at 05:20 PM.

The offensive style isn't changing unless the players are changed. It's not the hitting coach.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

757690 (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The offensive style isn't changing unless the players are changed. It's not the hitting coach.
    The offense has struggled for the past three years, and each year the hitting coach gets blamed, then replaced.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Some of the Reds hitters no doubt think playing in GABP turns them into Adam Dunn and Dave Kingman instead of Pete Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Some of the Reds hitters no doubt think playing in GABP turns them into Adam Dunn and Dave Kingman instead of Pete Rose.
    Reds hitting at home wRC+ 103 this year.

Reds hitting on road wRC+ 76 this year.

But Reds’ pitching has been much better on the road. 3.26 FIP on road, 4.96 home.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds hitting at home wRC+ 103 this year.

Reds hitting on road wRC+ 76 this year.

But Reds’ pitching has been much better on the road. 3.26 FIP on road, 4.96 home.
    Which I would bet equals more HRs at home?

Which I would bet equals more HRs at home?
    Reds have 12 more homers at home despite playing 7 more games on the road.

14. Likes:

zigbeenuthouse (09-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The offense has struggled for the past three years, and each year the hitting coach gets blamed, then replaced.
    Most of the hitters have been replaced too though. Only Votto, Suarez, Winker, and Barnhart are left from the 2018 team.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Bauer is gone. He is not coming back and Reds are not in a position to come close to what he will get. I don’t think he is happy anyway. Dodgers or Yankees or maybe padres or Phillies will be teams to watch . I could see cubs in mix.
    Twins and Braves

Braves have the money and the need. Twins have a need and Falvey - Bauer's old buddy

Not sure what he gets. We’ve seen reds tie up money before and it didn’t work due injuries. Bauer only will sign one year deals he said. Reds would like that part. Again, I doubt he comes back as a team may give him 25-30.
    Probably were looking at $30+ before Covid. Now $25 to $30 could be in play.

But Bauer wants to win and I am not sure he feels management is willing to stand behind the changes needed to get there. In particular that means dealing with Votto.

The style is supposed to be lay off pitches out of the strike zone and hit pitches in the strike zone hard.

What happened to people's common sense and reading comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some takeaways from the stats review -

1. Reds offensive style probably similar to design in that walks, power emphasized.
    Red's offense is 7th in BBs, and 8th in HRs, in MLB. So that aspect seems to be working for them.

But that .209 B/A, dead last in MLB, is a real drag. Including a .180 from the CF postion.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-13-2020 at 06:03 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?