Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer should have been dealt!!

Re: Trevor Bauer should have been dealt!!

I’m not looking at Clase and Deshields and looking to waive a white flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020),Tom Servo (09-15-2020),westofyou (09-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I can see the logic in a "short series, anything can happen".. but when 15 or 16 teams are in the playoffs (I can't remember), that's a lot of series that the Reds are relying on Castillo and Bauer to carry the rest of the team. The odds are pretty long that
    they will make any significant noise. But I can see that hoping for one playoff win is sort of a moral victory. I would just look more long term.

I still think Bauer easily nets a top 100 prospect and more.. I don't want to get into specifics, but he's worth a lot more than Lance Lynn and an injured Kluber. But if you want to use Kluber as a comp, the Indians got Emmanual Clase, who had a nice 2019. He's on a PED suspension now, but that's still a nice return. They also got Delino Deshields Jr, who is not great, but he's comparable to Shogo so far and for a lot less money (and better than former round 1 pick Ervin and likely better than Aquino).. IMO, what they got for kluber is a better return than a comp pick.
    I'm not even a huge Aquino fan but I would say his month of August last year is more than Delino Desheilds Jr has done his whole career.
    Crazy Reds Fan

Woulda.. Coulda.. Shoulda..

Ouroboros... the official symbol of Cincinnati Reds fans

6. Likes:

GAC (09-17-2020)

There is NOTHING on the free agent market next year approaching the impact Trevor Bauer has on this rotation.

You keep him all year, roll the dice for the playoffs, and try to sign him next year. He's still quite young. He's in the argument for best pitcher in baseball. We've surrounded him with guys who buy into his style, and have been supportive. He can get ace results here as he's shown.

Something tells me guys don't appreciate being traded. There's a reason you rarely see resigns after trades.

8. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020),SirFelixCat (09-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Did any good prospects even get traded at the deadline anyway? I can’t think of anyone I feel like the Reds missed out on. Even Clevinger got a quantity over quality type of package, and even that wouldn’t have been on the table for a month or two of Bauer.

10. Likes:

757690 (09-15-2020),Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),Ron Madden (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Did any good prospects even get traded at the deadline anyway? I can’t think of anyone I feel like the Reds missed out on. Even Clevinger got a quantity over quality type of package, and even that wouldn’t have been on the table for a month or two of Bauer.
    Hard to know who's even a good prospect at this moment too. That's based on year-old information. We're deep into magic beans territory.

Meanwhile the Reds still have a legit shot at making the playoffs with an ace pitcher (Bauer) in hand. Also, Bauer might become the Reds first-ever Cy Young winner. Seems like the potential benefits of keeping him far outweigh the the highly speculative return.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

HammerTime (09-16-2020),membengal (09-15-2020),Ron Madden (09-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2020)

I'll stand on this and it's not hard to say, Bauer is not going to play for this club next season. You can put this as a sig if anyone wants to but he's gone. Big Market club with chance to win it all is going to get him. Reds are not going to be able to offer more than some other clubs who have a chance at world title. I'd LOVE to see him back but it's not going to happen. Padres, White Sox, maybe even Tampa Bay are possibilities..even the dreaded Cardinals? Cubs?

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    I'll stand on this and it's not hard to say, Bauer is not going to play for this club next season. You can put this as a sig if anyone wants to but he's gone. Big Market club with chance to win it all is going to get him. Reds are not going to be able to offer more than some other clubs who have a chance at world title. I'd LOVE to see him back but it's not going to happen. Padres, White Sox, maybe even Tampa Bay are possibilities..even the dreaded Cardinals? Cubs?
    I hate to agree with you, but probably so. I hope that the Reds’ relationship with Driveline counts for something, but for how much, I don’t know.

I love Bauer as a Red but I won’t like him very much on another NL team.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Weren’t the nationals looking terrible after 60 games last year?
    I agree with you, that in a normal season, the season now would be maybe end of may or beginning of June, and we'd have another 30-60 days or to evaluate our situation before the deadline. But this is an odd year, Bauer is a pending FA. I really do hope that he wants to come back, and that's why he wasn't traded.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I’m not looking at Clase and Deshields and looking to waive a white flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clase would be one of our top 3 relievers in the pen. Something to build on for next year.
    I can respect the "Go for it in 2020, don't throw in the towel" argument more than:

1. A supplemental draft pick is just as good or better.
    2. No one would have given up much for Bauer.

At least the "go for it, it might be another 5+ years before we have a chance to make the playoffs again" is solid.
    I would still have traded him, but I can respect that argument.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I'm not even a huge Aquino fan but I would say his month of August last year is more than Delino Desheilds Jr has done his whole career.
    Not sure I agree with that. Deshields is not great, but he's had two seasons of 400+ at bats with an OPS over 700.
    Not sure Aquino will ever accomplish that. (I'm not saying that is worth bragging about, but Aquino can't even win a roster spot on the Reds with expanded rosters). Deshields is a solid defender as well, based on the little I have seen him (and I have
    not seen him that much, so if someone wants to dispute that, I'm ok with that). Anyhow Deshields Jr is better than what a lot of first round and supplemental picks end up being. Obviously, Clase is better.
    And the whole argument is that Bauer is worth more than an injured Kluber.

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    If so, the Reds get whatever they can milk out of this season (playoffs, potential Cy for Bauer), draft pick compensation and Bauer's salary slot. Beats the pocket lint they'd have gotten if they traded him.

21. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If so, the Reds get whatever they can milk out of this season (playoffs, potential Cy for Bauer), draft pick compensation and Bauer's salary slot. Beats the pocket lint they'd have gotten if they traded him.
    They could get more than pocket lint for Bauer. Even Dick Williams could pull that off.
    Reds could get two useful future pieces at bare minimum for him.
    If Bauer is not resigned, the Reds are a mess next year, unless there's another huge cash infusion, they
    have a lot of needs to fill.
    Lots of bad, immovable contracts on the team now.. But I can see that as a reason to go for it now though.

I really don't care if Bauer wins the Cy Young or not. Not to be harsh, but individual awards don't mean much to me when
    the team struggles most of the year.

I get the idea of "enjoy him while he's here, go for the playoffs". That makes sense, even though I don't agree with it. I don't think it's worthwhile to keep him to get eliminated in the first round in a joke season of playoffs, where half the teams make it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    They could get more than pocket lint for Bauer. Even Dick Williams could pull that off.
    Reds could get two useful future pieces at bare minimum for him.
    If Bauer is not resigned, the Reds are a mess next year, unless there's another huge cash infusion, they
    have a lot of needs to fill.
    Lots of bad, immovable contracts on the team now.. But I can see that as a reason to go for it now though.

I really don't care if Bauer wins the Cy Young or not. Not to be harsh, but individual awards don't mean much to me when
    the team struggles most of the year.

I get the idea of "enjoy him while he's here, go for the playoffs". That makes sense, even though I don't agree with it. I don't think it's worthwhile to keep him to get eliminated in the first round in a joke season of playoffs, where half the teams make it.
    I don't think anyone was shelling out more than a lick and a promise for a pending free agent. And if Bauer doesn't re-sign, the Reds have $17.5M to spend.

I care if Bauer wins the Cy. Even in this weird, truncated season, that lasts forever. And taking a shot in this year's playoffs works for me.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Teams don’t give up anything that matters for rentals anymore, even in regular seasons.

Keeping Bauer and making a play to keep him is alone much more valuable than anything they could’ve gotten for him.

26. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-16-2020),M2 (09-15-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?