• Runner on 2nd for extra innings

8 17.02%
  • 7 inning doubleheaders

22 46.81%
  • Expanded rosters (Greater than 26)

21 44.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 2020 rules would you like to be continued?

Which 2020 rules would you like to be continued?

Thanks to everyone who voted on the other poll. I thought I'd follow it up with another one with a similar question. Which 2020 rule changes do you want to see continued for 2021 and beyond. I think I know what the overwhelming choice will be but there are other changes to look at too. Please give your reason(s) why you'd like those rules continued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which 2020 rules would you like to be continued?

Everyone wants the DH. I never want to advocate for less baseball, but I don't mind the 7 inning doubleheaders

4. Likes:

Banshee (09-15-2020),CaiGuy (09-14-2020),goreds2 (09-16-2020),HammerTime (09-15-2020),paulrichjr (09-15-2020),REDREAD (09-14-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020),SirFelixCat (09-15-2020),Tom Servo (09-14-2020)

I tried to vote, but it wouldn't accept my ballot because I don't want any of the rule changes, and I didn't mark any of the choices.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

bm1475 (09-15-2020)

I voted for all except the 7 inning DH. While I agree that it makes watching an entire DH easier (and benefits Reds when the bullpen is struggling), it still kinda feels like the eventual season outcome might deserve an asterisk. Would a team winning a ton of 7 inning games still have captured the wildcard or division title if they'd not had so many postponements? I get that there aren't usually enough off days in a normal season, but I think a better solution is to reduce the schedule so that more days are available to make up the games in full. Now that we've experienced a 60 game season, 145-150 would still feel like a ton.

I voted for extra innings runner and 7 inning DH. I would allow home teams to schedule two 7 inning DHs to start with if they were 7 innings with one admission. And make up games could be on the same date as another game, with the home team deciding if it is split admission or one admission. If it is one admission, it would be 7 inning games, and if it is two admissions, the visiting team gets to decide if they are 7 or 9 inning games, and they could choose one of each.

I would like to see the DH, but the pitchers have to bat or be pinch hit for, and one of the defenders doesn't bat. This would help the level of defensive play and make the pitchers be less prone to throw at batters.

I think the extra innings thing is much better. I totally agree with people that every other sport the tie breaker part is must see and no one leaves while baseball is played in front of an empty stadium (not counting 2020). That being said, I would do something to make it even more exciting like maybe add another runner in the 11th and load the bases from then on (12th) or something. Make it sudden death like. No one would leave if the bases were loaded to start the inning. Heck people might even root for extra innings.

The DH doesn’t bother me at all. I’m not sure the Reds hitting could be much worse this year so imagine if a pitcher batted.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (09-16-2020)

I really do not miss pitchers batting.

And I like getting the luxury AL teams have had forever of letting guys like Joey Votto continue his thing in the DH spot (or any one of the no defense/all bat guys we seem to be fond of these days). That advantage they had over the NL needs to go away.

13. Likes:

HammerTime (09-15-2020),mth123 (09-15-2020),Rojo Rijo (09-15-2020)

Fan cutouts in the stands! LOL

But a good question. I went with the DH in the NL. I see plus and minus with expanded rosters, from an analytical standpoint. More tools to work with. But can it lead to excessive tinkering ? LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 09-15-2020 at 04:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I know it's helped the Reds this season, but the 7 inning doubleheaders are hard to get used to. Since we barely ever see DH in a normal season, I won't be upset if they keep it. But it doesn't feel like a complete game.

I also kind of miss watching pitchers hit, but since the weaker league hasn't let them do it for decades, the NL might as well adopt the DH.

I think 26 man rosters is perfect. Not sure if I've even watched an extra-inning this season, so I can't really weigh in on that rule. But I hear it's fun.

I love the seven inning games, much stronger sense of urgency. Also when I'm at the ballpark, the bottom of the sixth is generally when I'm starting to get hot or cold and ready to go to the bar.

The extra inning rule is always jarring, I'd rather have ties.

The DH sucks but velocity has increased way too much for bunting to be useful tool. It makes sense to just have a real hitter in the spot.

Expanded roster is just more bad players, not a fan.
    Last edited by Crumbley; 09-15-2020 at 03:46 PM.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-16-2020)

I really hate myself for it, but the 7 inning games have been my guilty pleasure.

I am not saying it should stay, but I have enjoyed the pace of those games.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 09-15-2020 at 03:00 PM.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-16-2020),goreds2 (09-16-2020)

I see no reason not to keep all of the rules going forward. The only one I'm apprehensive about is the expanded rosters. Otherwise, I'm all for it.

DH is easily the #1 for me and like a few others, I secretly like the 7 innings games. Probably because the Reds have done well in them.
    Last edited by HammerTime; 09-15-2020 at 03:34 PM.

I am fine with the DH but it hit me during my commute this morning that another method would be to simply not have the pitcher's hit and use an 8 man lineup. MLBPA would probably prefer the DH and it does hurt the numerical consistency of the game being based around 3s and 9s.

Turn Off Ads?