• Runner on 2nd for extra innings

8 17.02%
  • 7 inning doubleheaders

22 46.81%
  • Expanded rosters (Greater than 26)

21 44.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 2020 rules would you like to be continued?

Re: Which 2020 rules would you like to be continued?

If my only goal was to grow the fanbase and had a 10 year plan....I would honestly explore 7 inning games being the norm. I get it will not happen, and how that significantly changes the game on so many levels....but I think it is a better length for entertainment purposes.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

Crumbley (09-15-2020),jwdoc77 (09-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

They can make 9 inning games more tolerable just by enforcing pace of play stuff, no more stepping out of the batters box a billion times an at bat, institute a pitch clock. I would much rather see that than 7 inning games, double headers or not.

Keep the DH, the rest can go.

5. Likes:

mth123 (09-15-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-16-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    I would like to see the DH, but the pitchers have to bat or be pinch hit for, and one of the defenders doesn't bat. This would help the level of defensive play and make the pitchers be less prone to throw at batters.
    So you want the HS DP rule.

I've always considered myself a traditionalist and was not expecting this, but put me in the camp of folks saying they enjoy the pace of the 7 inning games. I agree that the same effect could be accomplished by speeding up the 9 inning games, but regardless I've always agreed with soccer fans that two hours is the sweet spot for a sporting event (even if I still find two hours of soccer to be a slog), particularly for a sport that plays 162 times in a season.

A switch to 7 inning games isn't unprecedented in the sporting world. Read up on how cricket rules have evolved over the decades and you might just be gazing into a crystal ball as to how baseball looks in 20 years...

I hate the DH but I can live with it. I'm a fan of the 7 inning doubleheaders as long as the regular season games stay 9 innings. You see people on here and other forums longing for old fashioned doubleheaders. With the pace of play and the plethora of other entertainment options I don't think fans are as crazy for 18 innings of baseball as they used to be. Plus any doubleheader these days is a split one so teams can charge for both games. These 7 inning doubleheaders just seem to fly by. I'd like to see them try them on Sundays or weekends though. As for the others, I think the runner on 2nd is dumb and I like expanded rosters. But for the latter, I'd like to see an inactive list/taxi squad where you can dress 26 guys but have 4-5 guys there on the inactive list. Let's say you have a starter who pitched several innings the game before. Put him on the inactive list for a game or two since you're not going to need him anyway. You have a player with a nagging injury but not serious enough to put him on the IL, you put him on the inactive list and let him sit for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I hate the 7 inning games the most tbh, feels like little league stuff to me and the pacing is way off.

10. Likes:

GAC (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I hate the 7 inning games the most tbh, feels like little league stuff to me and the pacing is way off.
    More little league than the runner starting on second in extras? At least those seven innings still follow MLB rules...

12. Likes:

GAC (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    More little league than the runner starting on second in extras? At least those seven innings still follow MLB rules...
    Don’t get me wrong, I hate that one too

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-16-2020)

I'm guessing they change the 3 batter minimum to 2. Other than that......I have no issues with keeping others as they are.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Would love to keep:
    Shortened season (90-120 range)
    7 innings for ALL games (3 plus hrs is way to long to watch)
    Current playoff format (more fun)
    DH in effect
    Runners on 2nd base for extra innings.

Turn Off Ads?