Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Conversation with Former Braves and Reds Outfielder Mike Lum

A Conversation with Former Braves and Reds Outfielder Mike Lum

By David Laurila, who does amazing stuff for FanGraphs. I recommend the entire interview, but I especially loved this:
    Lum: “We were in LA, it was a day game, and Tom Seaver was pitching for us. Bailey was playing left field. A ball was hit out there, right up against the wall, and he reached up. The ball hit Bailey’s glove and went over the fence for home run. When we got back to the dugout, Seaver looked at Bailey and said, ‘Hey, if it was a sandwich, you would have caught it.’ Bailey was a little on the heavy side, and oh man, that bench roared.”

Laurila: What did Bailey say in response?

Lum: “I don’t remember, but do you know what? It was all in jest. I’m pretty sure he didn’t get mad. Many years later they did a reunion in Cincinnati — they brought back the ’76 team — and I told that story in front of all the people. Bailey said, ‘Come on, don’t tell that story.’ But I did.”
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conver...lder-mike-lum/

2. Likes:

foster15 (09-17-2020),goreds2 (09-16-2020),KeefeCato (09-23-2020),Old school 1983 (09-16-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020),texasdave (09-17-2020),wally post (09-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Conversation with Former Braves and Reds Outfielder Mike Lum

Just for fun, they should've asked him about his base stealing skills. 42 attempts, thrown out 29 times lol

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Just for fun, they should've asked him about his base stealing skills. 42 attempts, thrown out 29 times lol
    They were probably “run and hits” that went bad as in no bat contact to ball.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

mike lum reminds me of doug capilla

Wasn’t Lum the only guy to pinch hit for Hank Aaron?

8. Likes:

mth123 (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Wasn’t Lum the only guy to pinch hit for Hank Aaron?
    From Wiki: On May 22, 1969, Lum cracked a two RBI double off the New York Mets' Al Jackson pinch hitting for Hank Aaron.[12] He is one of only six players ever to pinch hit for Aaron. Lee Maye had done so in 1962 and Johnny Blanchard in 1965. Johnny Briggs, Marty Perez, and Mike Hegan did it after Lum.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-18-2020)

al jackson ex red he was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    From Wiki: On May 22, 1969, Lum cracked a two RBI double off the New York Mets' Al Jackson pinch hitting for Hank Aaron.[12] He is one of only six players ever to pinch hit for Aaron. Lee Maye had done so in 1962 and Johnny Blanchard in 1965. Johnny Briggs, Marty Perez, and Mike Hegan did it after Lum.
    Fire Lum Harris (Braves manager in '69). Obviously, there was some nepotism going on here.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I had always thought he was the only one, at least thats what the Reds media guides of the day told me?

Also I believe it mentioned he was also the first Hawaiian to play in MLB.

Though I could have him confused with someone else on that one.

They should have kept Merv Rettenmund instead of Joel Youngblood that year for an even stronger bench. They ended trading Joel for Capilla anyways the next year.

they wanted another hawaiian

Turn Off Ads?