Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

This playoff system will take some getting used to, but I’m liking Butler and Gonzaga.

As bad as things have been, it was the season without the woo.

But how hard could it be to fit the cardboard cutouts with WiFi speakers so we can talk to each other and cheer on the team?

The last time pitching was this dominant they lowered the mound, so maybe they’ll have to raise the batter’s box.

The guys at Prasco should be wearing jerseys that say Mason Jars.

What if MLB decides it doesn’t even need the minor leagues?

The only way to beat the shift is to shift the batters.

I’m wondering what the Ken Burns version of this season would be like.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-16-2020),757690 (09-16-2020),Bob Sheed (09-16-2020),Boss-Hog (09-16-2020),CaiGuy (09-16-2020),goreds2 (09-16-2020),KittyDuran (09-16-2020),M2 (09-16-2020),marcshoe (09-16-2020),RichRed (09-18-2020),Sabo Fan (09-16-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (09-16-2020),UKFlounder (09-16-2020),WrongVerb (09-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

What if MLB decides it doesn’t even need the minor leagues?
    So this is pretty much what I've been hearing from a former MLB pitcher who says that MLB plans to phase out the minor leagues and invest more money and resources in college baseball programs going forward.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Much shorter than previous seasons.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

I've been thinking about this season from the Ken Burns' narrative arc. That story is supposed to end with the Dodgers winning the World Series this year. Here's the thought process:

KB's Baseball focused on a handful of big market teams, of which the Dodgers certainly qualify. Most other big market teams - NYY, Boston, ChiCubs - have more recent titles, meaning this year's would mean less. For some of the smaller market teams looking for their first series - Seattle, San Diego, Milwaukee - a first win in an asterisk of a year feels a bit anti-climatic. Having just finished Jon Bois' Mariners documentary, it just wouldn't feel right to have the Mariners first series win mean less than a nominal series.

On top of the market perspective, you have a fantastic mix of aging vets who haven't won a series yet (and by "vets" I mainly mean Kershaw), young stars (Lux and Mookie), and characters in between. Joe Kelly making faces at the Astros is already the most iconic moment from the season. A lot of these guys have been deep into the post season without ever reaching the promised land. Winning this year would mean as much to LAD as anyone else.

I hope we bounce them in 2 in the first round.

7. Likes:

forfreelin04 (09-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    So this is pretty much what I've been hearing from a former MLB pitcher who says that MLB plans to phase out the minor leagues and invest more money and resources in college baseball programs going forward.
    One of the things I've missed the most about this season is checking the minor league box scores in the morning to see how the farmhands are doing. But I'm also a dweeb.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-16-2020),podgejeff_ (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    One of the things I've missed the most about this season is checking the minor league box scores in the morning to see how the farmhands are doing. But I'm also a dweeb.
    We're all dweebs here, and we all miss checking the minor leagues scores, among other things.

11. Likes:

757690 (09-16-2020),goreds2 (09-16-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020)

It’s the Mason Comets
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'd just tweak the name a little and call them the Mason Jarflies.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Ramifications of such an idea are interesting. Would it mean a college-to-majors pipeline bypassing what we traditionally know as minor league ball and player development; this would be similar to how it works for the NBA and NFL.

Could this lead to the MLB draft only being 1 to 7 rounds, becoming more critical to franchise success, and maybe even being a more hyped event?

This is why we love baseball. The intrigue, the unknown of a series, and the excitement when a team gets rolling at the end to capture a title.

But how hard could it be to fit the cardboard cutouts with WiFi speakers so we can talk to each other and cheer on the team?
    You jest. But I wonder how many would pay a few hundred (or more) dollars for a webcam with microphone and speaker attached to their cardboard cutout that was able to be controlled remotely? Hardware would be ~100 dollars, maybe 200.

Fans that paid for this service could still watch the game on FSO or wherever, but would also have a game view experience (from their cardboard cutout) too.

This will never happen.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Lots of daguerreotypes of Fernando Tatis Jr. with ABBA playing in the background.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-17-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020),RichRed (09-18-2020),westofyou (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Lots of daguerreotypes of Fernando Tatis Jr. with ABBA playing in the background.
    Would he be able to hear the drums?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

20. Likes:

M2 (09-17-2020),RichRed (09-18-2020)

If your cutout gets hit by a foul ball, you should get the ball mailed to your house.
    Last edited by TexasRedsFan; 09-16-2020 at 07:01 PM.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-16-2020),oneupper (09-17-2020)

They should put a speaker on your cutout that you can virtually cheer with from home.

“Molina, your mother wears combat boots!”
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-16-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?