Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Looks like the EU has taken the lead on us again. Did the Czech Republic just have a national "Cough on Your Neighbor" day?

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/statu...726316545?s=20

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Looks like the EU has taken the lead on us again. Did the Czech Republic just have a national "Cough on Your Neighbor" day?

Pretty sure that special holiday has been every time I have tried to go out to eat (outdoors of course) since this thing began.

Every time. There's some kid or old person sitting next to us, coughing, sneezing, whatever. Temps are cooling now. I'm done with going out to eat until next spring most likely, no matter how many propane heaters they set up.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Those obedient Czechs, huh? Have they no sense of decency?

This article explains it. Basically, the were one of the first to impose a mask mandate, and it worked quite well. Then they lifted it, opened the country and we are now seeing the results. This seems to be the story behind most areas that are seeing a rise in cases.

When the government lifted the strict mask mandate over the summer, most people left theirs at home. The virus was slowly starting to make a comeback. Even the health minister conceded his country's victory lap was premature.
    "That's true, because we had many experts -- and those were not the epidemiologists and virologists -- but they were arguing that, okay, the disease is there, but it's very mild," said Dr. Prymula, who has been on the job now for less than a month. "So they tried to push politicians just to skip out of strict countermeasures."
    In August, with case-counts rising and schools set to reopen, Rastislav Madar, a top epidemiologist and the coordinator of the government's coronavirus restrictions advisory group, called for the government to re-instate the strict mask mandate that was in force in the spring. But when the then-Health Minister Adam Vojtech announced masks would again become compulsory in most indoor spaces, Babis said no. A day later, Vojtech walked back many of the new rules. Madar resigned a few days later.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'm sure that's some of it, but I read the mask mandate was lifted several months ago. The cases didn't start taking off until September 1, and then around October 1 went straight up. So there's more going on there than just the lifting of the mask mandate.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2020),Rojo (10-22-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'm sure that's some of it, but I read the mask mandate was lifted several months ago. The cases didn't start taking off until September 1, and then around October 1 went straight up. So there's more going on there than just the lifting of the mask mandate.
    Getting comfortable. That's my guess. The further away from the "no mask mandate" you got, the more comfortable people got with not social distancing, too. And once the spread really starts, it happens quickly. Of course, I've been wrong many times before - but I'm seeing stuff like that happen with people in my life over the past month or two, too. They've either just gotten comfortable with things, or just gotten tired of not being able to have a party/gathering and just say "screw it".

Stay safe, people. I'm gonna go lock myself up for a while after I get moved in two weeks.

9. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Getting comfortable. That's my guess. The further away from the "no mask mandate" you got, the more comfortable people got with not social distancing, too. And once the spread really starts, it happens quickly. Of course, I've been wrong many times before - but I'm seeing stuff like that happen with people in my life over the past month or two, too. They've either just gotten comfortable with things, or just gotten tired of not being able to have a party/gathering and just say "screw it".

Stay safe, people. I'm gonna go lock myself up for a while after I get moved in two weeks.
    Yep, my guess it was a super spreader event or a few of them at the same time. The Czech Republic reveals how quickly the situation can turn, even if you think everything is fine.

From that same thread, someone posted a chart with more of the countries. Belgium is as crazy as the Czech Republic, and France and the Netherlands are pretty rough as well.

https://twitter.com/tiffanyrg9/statu...331963904?s=20

From that same thread, someone posted a chart with more of the countries. Belgium is as crazy as the Czech Republic, and France and the Netherlands are pretty rough as well.

https://twitter.com/tiffanyrg9/statu...331963904?s=20
    Sadly, it seems the predictions for a second wave were right on target.

Yeah, it will be "interesting" to see what our second wave looks like. As someone I think pointed out earlier, we never really got rid of our first wave, so hopefully that means we continue to stay steady. Not ideal, of course, but MAYBE better than having two distinct waves? Not really sure what I think about that, but trying to think positively since we can't change the past anyway.

I'm seeing, and feeling, a lot of "Covid Fatigue" lately. People are letting their guard down.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

15. Likes:

Boston Red (10-20-2020),dabvu2498 (10-21-2020),marcshoe (10-20-2020),Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'm seeing, and feeling, a lot of "Covid Fatigue" lately. People are letting their guard down.
    I got it bad today for some reason. We've had a relatively normal life in the pandemic (with a couple of great trips we never would have been able to take otherwise), but for whatever reason I really noticed the differences between "normal" and now today. And the fact that there is no end to those differences anywhere in sight is distressing when you start thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    This is exactly what is driving many cases through our doors at the hospital. It's human nature.

18. Likes:

M2 (10-20-2020)

As I understand it, it's a combination of people being less diligent and of people spending more time indoors with others due to cooler weather.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I gave you an irrelevant answer on purpose since you threatened to drive back.
    Yeah, I know that it was a dishonest tactic. While I appreciate you owning up to it, you really didn't need to. I also don't need any help identifying the obfuscation, rhetoric, and ad hominem attacks present in the post to which I'm responding. And for goodness sakes, I don't need any disclosure from you about a lack of respect because that's what you let fly from the get-go. I got it a few posts back.

Even though youÂ’re assuming a lot about remote learning (again, itÂ’s not home-schooling) and parenting for that matter, itÂ’s clear you have no empathy and arenÂ’t open-minded enough to even consider other peopleÂ’s experiences, feelings and opinions. In this thread you've called me a liar, have inferred that I'm a bad parent and have talked down to me. Since I no longer have respect for you, I see no point wasting any more of my time trying to debate you.
    That's quite some revisionist history. If you care to recall, I didn't engage you. You engaged me and, in your first post told me in no uncertain terms that I had no clue and went on to imply in future posts that I don't have the necessary experience to hold a reasoned position on the subject. Besides being completely irrelevant, that's an assumption on your part driven by nothing but the fact that I disagree with you. So you can hang that medal of condescension around your own neck, thank you.

As for the rest of it, nowhere have I called you a "liar". You outed yourself on using unethical tactics. I've talked about the social distancing aspects of children being at home for education; never so much as touching on the potential differences in the quality of the education. Nor did I declare you a bad parent. I would have no idea about that. In fact, the only understanding I have about any of your skills is based on your own unsolicited admission that you don't currently possess the skills required to give your own children a "great education". I've made exactly zero assumptions about you. It's all there should you go back and read for content. Regardless, I hold no current negative feelings about you and would be happy to have you reengage, assuming you could do so honestly. I won't even ask you to apologize. I understand that Covid RE: Kids can be an emotionally-charged topic, so- while not my intent- I anticipated a ruffled feather or two at some point.

I do believe that you're entirely confused about the difference between empathy and sympathy, though. While I may empathize with the difficult position Covid has placed parents in, I have little sympathy for it. Your situation is a product of your own decisions. You chose to raise children. You bear the responsibility of working the situation out without the expectation that others should be willing to accommodate your feelings, especially during a pandemic.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?