Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    No, there is a plethora of mask standards for industry, and you can't assume that they are N95 equivalent, and in all likelihood, they are not. Look up the OSHS regs and you'll see what the requirements are. Most times industry just requires dust masks.

In any event, not event the state mandate mentions a mask standard. You are just making stuff up.
    I was never talking about the state mandate. Why would you think I was based on everything I said. I have no idea why you are bringing it up. I showed you the post I responded to, which had nothing to do with the state mandate.

Anyway, the masks that my doctors recommended are widely available now. They recommended any mask that is at least 90% effective. They provided a list. These are easy to find right now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I was never talking about the state mandate. Why would you think I was based on everything I said. I have no idea why you are bringing it up. I showed you the post I responded to, which had nothing to do with the state mandate.

Anyway, the masks that my doctors recommended are widely available now. They recommended any mask that is at least 90% effective. They provided a list. These are easy to find right now.
    You were the one who brought up N95 masks. They were never recommended and still aren't. The typlcal medical mask is perfectly fine, and filters about about 90% if worn properly. The most common industrial masks filter out far less particulates.

You were the one who brought up N95 masks. They were never recommended and still aren't. The typlcal medical mask is perfectly fine, and filters about about 90% if worn properly. The most common industrial masks filter out far less particulates.
    As I stated, they are not recommended for the general public. They are recommended for doctors and nurses and anyone high risk, though they don’t have to be N95 masks, just masks that are at least 90% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That "small" group is tens of millions of people - 21 million people 70 and older, 34 million with diabetes, 10 million immunocompromised, 16 million morbidly obese, roughly 48% of adults have dealt with some form of cardiovascular disease.
    A small group of 300+ million is gonna be a big number, but it's a lot easier to lock those people down than it is the rest of us. It also doesn't kill the livelihoods of nearly as many Americans as blanket lockdowns do.

6. Likes:

BernieCarbo (10-26-2020)

As I stated, they are not recommended for the general public. They are recommended for doctors and nurses and anyone high risk, though they don’t have to be N95 masks, just masks that are at least 90% effective.
    Ok, then regular masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I doubt anyone unable to think more than one move ahead is going to be able to comprehend:

- the asymptomatic spread of COVID from one person to another person
    - who then visits an elderly or compromised loved one, then spreads it to the elderly or compromised loved one,
    - where it is then no longer asymptomatic and is instead, deadly to that elderly or compromised loved one.

Too many crazy twists and turns there to not get confused.
    Do we even have concrete data on asymptomatic spread yet? Not disagreeing, I just haven't seen it.

But just face time with grandma instead? Letting vulnerable people lockdown is easy. And if they decide they will accept the risk and not spend their later years locked up in their house, that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    No it isn’t
    I keep seeing these takes and I don't get it. Anyone who has ever worked at a grocery store knows how little space there is for employees to work in the back. You get trucks to work and palettes of freight daily. Employees are bumping into each other to work it. Every single grocery store local to me as more crowded than a restaurant, where you're at least at different tables.

Grocery stores close to me are Ingles, Sams, Publix and Wal-Mart. All four are routinely packed to the max. Employees there are working around customers. There's no scenario where this is *safer* than eating in a restaurant.

For customers, or especially for employees.

Ok, then regular masks.
    Lol, you’re the one who has been screaming that regular masks aren’t that effective. Now, regular masks are 90% effective.

It’s not regular masks. It’s masks that are 90% effective. Not all the mask that are being sold are 90% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    A small group of 300+ million is gonna be a big number, but it's a lot easier to lock those people down than it is the rest of us. It also doesn't kill the livelihoods of nearly as many Americans as blanket lockdowns do.
    It’s 40% of the country. Locking down 40% of the country would assuredly devestate the economy. Right now around 20% it’s shutdown, and it’s pretty rough.

More importantly, most of the 40% high risk live with someone is not high risk. How do you lock them down but not the people they live with?

No country is attempting to just lock down the high risk and open everything else up fully, because it’s not a workable plan.

It’s 40% of the country. Locking down 40% of the country would assuredly devestate the economy. Right now around 20% it’s shutdown, and it’s pretty rough.

More importantly, most of the 40% high risk live with someone is not high risk. How do you lock them down but not the people they live with?

No country is attempting to just lock down the high risk and open everything else up fully, because it’s not a workable plan.
    I don't believe 40% of the country has a compromised immune system, but if we're just taking everyone who has had a procedure then I'll still play along.

40% is still easier and less disastrous to small biz owners than blanket lockdowns. ANY targeted lockdown is better than blanket.

But yeah, 40% of Americans aren't at a serious risk to die from this virus. We know this based on several months of data.

I don't believe 40% of the country has a compromised immune system, but if we're just taking everyone who has had a procedure then I'll still play along.

40% is still easier and less disastrous to small biz owners than blanket lockdowns. ANY targeted lockdown is better than blanket.

But yeah, 40% of Americans aren't at a serious risk to die from this virus. We know this based on several months of data.
    https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...h-coronavirus/

About four in ten adults (37.6%) ages 18 and older in the U.S. (92.6 million people) have a higher risk of developing serious illness if they become infected with coronavirus, due to their older age (65 and older) or health condition (Figure 1; Table 1).

Grocery stores close to me are Ingles, Sams, Publix and Wal-Mart. All four are routinely packed to the max. Employees there are working around customers. There's no scenario where this is *safer* than eating in a restaurant.

For customers, or especially for employees.
    Just to add to this, a busy Sams or Wal-Mart can get close to or top 1 million in sales in ONE weekend. For cashiers, customers, stockers, do you realize how many people that is in the store? What kinda sales do restaurants pull? Not even in the same galaxy.
    Last edited by Stray; 10-26-2020 at 02:21 AM.

A blanket lockdown for a brief time, followed by opening up most of the country because the virus is under control, has had a manageable effect on the economy in the many countries that have been successful in enacting this plan. And it definitely would be less damaging than shutting in 40% of the adults in the country for over a year.

Just to add to this, a busy Sams or Wal-Mart can get close to 1 million in sales in ONE weekend. For cashiers, customers, stockers, do you realize how many people that is in the store? What kinda sales do restaurants pull? Not even in the same galaxy.
    I wouldn’t recommend anyone in the high risk group to to massive chains like Sams or Wal-mart. But those buildings are massive, crazy high ceilings, and should be practicing the proper procedures of limiting crowds, mask wearing and social distancing. If they are not, then they should be shut down.

Turn Off Ads?