Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

And if they want to lock themselves down they should be free to do so. Nothing about our cases and mortality rate suggests that to be the case, our mean death age is over 80, no? But yeah, we shouldn't be actively forcing people to live. If they wanna lock down they should be free to do so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I wouldn’t recommend anyone in the high risk group to to massive chains like Sams or Wal-mart. But those buildings are massive, crazy high ceilings, and should be practicing the proper procedures of limiting crowds, mask wearing and social distancing. If they are not, then they should be shut down.
    They aren't and they never did. None of them have been shutdown to my knowledge.

And go to any grocery store nearby and you'll find lots of 70+ employees working. Dangerous for them? Sure. More dangerous than a restaurant being open? Not at all.

FTR, I'm not arguing that vulnerable people, or people who are scared, shouldn't be able to lockdown and quarantine themselves. I'm arguing that the rest of us shouldn't be locked down because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Then why did the governor permit it?

and of course

But actually very little (at this point) to do with:

Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-26-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

dougdirt (10-26-2020)

Lol, you’re the one who has been screaming that regular masks aren’t that effective. Now, regular masks are 90% effective.

It’s not regular masks. It’s masks that are 90% effective. Not all the mask that are being sold are 90% effective.
    By regular masks, I am talking about the inexpensive medical masks (about $0.35 each) that have been available since April. The only masks I had reservations about are the cloth masks.

It’s 40% of the country. Locking down 40% of the country would assuredly devestate the economy. Right now around 20% it’s shutdown, and it’s pretty rough.

More importantly, most of the 40% high risk live with someone is not high risk. How do you lock them down but not the people they live with?

No country is attempting to just lock down the high risk and open everything else up fully, because it’s not a workable plan.
    As usual, you just make stuff up. It wouldn't be anywhere near 40% of the country. There is no need to protect a 60 year old guy who has never smoked and is not obese. We are talking about the vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    and of course
    Well, what were business owners supposed to do? How about factories and shops that had to close? They were given a directive of what they had to do in order to reopen, and apparently it worked because the numbers declined. In the meantime, even someone here said he attended a wedding, and stores like Kroger were allowed to just pack the place and not maintain any social distancing. But yeah, Bob's Pizza is the problem.

Well, what were business owners supposed to do? How about factories and shops that had to close? They were given a directive of what they had to do in order to reopen, and apparently it worked because the numbers declined. In the meantime, even someone here said he attended a wedding, and stores like Kroger were allowed to just pack the place and not maintain any social distancing. But yeah, Bob's Pizza is the problem.
    Hospital beds in El Paso at 100 percent. Now people will die who don't even have COVID, because of a lack of resources. I've never been to a hospital at full capacity but it sounds absolutely horrifying. 12 hour wait times. Staff spread too thin. Mistakes. Anger. Negligence.

And we're here debating which stupid unnecessary things are more dangerous than other stupid unnecessary things.

I think we're mostly in agreement. I feel like we are all hostages to idiots, misinformation, and overblown entitlement. November is on the horizon, and I have to say... seems like a whole bunch of poop storms are about to come to a head at the same time.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

M2 (10-26-2020)

Hospital beds in El Paso at 100 percent. Now people will die who don't even have COVID, because of a lack of resources. I've never been to a hospital at full capacity but it sounds absolutely horrifying. 12 hour wait times. Staff spread too thin. Mistakes. Anger. Negligence.

And we're here debating which stupid unnecessary things are more dangerous than other stupid unnecessary things.

I think we're mostly in agreement. I feel like we are all hostages to idiots, misinformation, and overblown entitlement. November is on the horizon, and I have to say... seems like a whole bunch of poop storms are about to come to a head at the same time.
    What hospital and was that ICU beds or hospital beds? I remember similar things being said about Houston's capacity which led hospital officials to release statements saying how even in 2019 they were above 90% and that they have the ability to go much higher when needed.

https://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps...m?nppage=67046

As usual, you just make stuff up. It wouldn't be anywhere near 40% of the country. There is no need to protect a 60 year old guy who has never smoked and is not obese. We are talking about the vulnerable.
    I posted this just a few posts earlier.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...h-coronavirus/

About four in ten adults (37.6%) ages 18 and older in the U.S. (92.6 million people) have a higher risk of developing serious illness if they become infected with coronavirus, due to their older age (65 and older) or health condition (Figure 1; Table 1).

adults who are at higher risk of serious illness if they get infected with coronavirus: adults between the ages of 18 and 64 with heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), uncontrolled asthma, diabetes, or a BMI greater than 40. To avoid overestimating the number and share of adults at higher risk of serious illness, our revised analysis does not include people with cancer;
    So based on the bold part, it likely is higher than 37%. The fact that you think it’s just smokers who are fat reveals how limited your knowledge is on this subject.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I posted this just a few posts earlier.

So based on the bold part, it likely is higher than 37%. The fact that you think it’s just smokers who are fat reveals how limited your knowledge is on this subject.
    Ok, first you said 40% of Americans, and now you say 40% of Americans above 18. Still, there is no way that 40% of the working population is what anyone would consider vulnerable. Even your quote specifically mentioned people above 65. So no, the economy would not be devastated if the vulnerable were protected. It's ridiculous to even say that.

And I never said only smokers were fat- I just listed an example of someone who is not vulnerable. The people who have comorbidities are the ones who should be protected, whether they were born with issues or developed them over a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    What hospital and was that ICU beds or hospital beds? I remember similar things being said about Houston's capacity which led hospital officials to release statements saying how even in 2019 they were above 90% and that they have the ability to go much higher when needed.

https://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps...m?nppage=67046
    https://kfoxtv.com/news/coronavirus/...t-100-capacity

County Judge: El Paso hospitals and intensive care units are at 100% capacity

“As of October 24, 2020, all area hospitals have reached capacity, all intensive care units at El Paso hospitals are at 100% capacity,” Judge Samaniego said.

On Sunday morning, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced the state would be taking steps to increase bed space in El Paso, converting the downtown El Paso Convention Center into an auxiliary hospital with up to 100 beds, and sending mobile medical units to El Paso hospitals with 100 beds each.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

El Paso? What does that have to do with shutting down a plant in Middletown while keeping McDonalds open even though factories have a far better equipped safety staff to protect its workers and the public? I don't know how El Paso handled things, but here the people did what they were told and the cases dwindled. There was no shortage of hospital beds, doctors, nothing. And the state has said that the recent spike can be attributed to schools opening and private gatherings, not restaurants, because a business, whether it is a sports bar or a factory, has a staff that can regulate the surroundings.

At best that was an extremely poorly written article... You have a county judge (?) declaring hospital beds full, but someone on the counties emergency management team saying that was not the case. So I don't think that article is anywhere near definitive. I also don't believe most people understand how hospitals actually work and how they are constantly working to maintain and manage their bed situation. This is something they do at all times not just because of covid.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I was told this weekend that COVID-19 was hysteria, so now I really don't know what to believe.

Turn Off Ads?