Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Yesterday set a new record for case counts - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-over-n1244490. We're spiking all over the nation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I know a lot of colleges that are in person have accelerated their schedules to be done by Thanksgiving in anticipation of a late fall/winter wave. I think high schools might want to consider trying to do the same.

4. Likes:

M2 (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I know a lot of colleges that are in person have accelerated their schedules to be done by Thanksgiving in anticipation of a late fall/winter wave. I think high schools might want to consider trying to do the same.
    The biggest reason for that is that college kids typically go home for Thanksgiving, and this year they don't want the leaving and then coming back, because everyone would have to quarantine and/or get tested upon return anyway (at least that's how it is at my nephew's school).

I know, but it still seems like it might be a good idea for high schools if we are spiking all over the place. Also, I hope colleges aren't having kids come back until mid-January to account for Christmas get-togethers.

I know, but it still seems like it might be a good idea for high schools if we are spiking all over the place. Also, I hope colleges aren't having kids come back until mid-January to account for Christmas get-togethers.
    Yes, that's the plan. It wouldn't make sense to come back for three weeks and then leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes, that's the plan. It wouldn't make sense to come back for three weeks and then leave.
    My point was that I hope people aren't coming back to campus on like January 4 or 5, 10 days or less after all the family Christmas get togethers.

My point was that I hope people aren't coming back to campus on like January 4 or 5, 10 days or less after all the family Christmas get togethers.
    I don't know how it is at all schools, but his university doesn't start until the third week of January in normal years anyway, and he just texted me that it won't be until Jan 25th this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't know how it is at all schools, but his university doesn't start until the third week of January in normal years anyway, and he just texted me that it won't be until Jan 25th this year.
    Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yesterday set a new record for case counts - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-over-n1244490. We're spiking all over the nation.
    And more than 80,000 today. First time we've cleared that number. It's like watching a pot boil over.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

One more chart representing the effectiveness of mask wearing

Attachment 16654
    Last edited by 757690; 10-23-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Mason City Schools, the largest in Warren County Ohio for example publishes data every week on COVID...

Seventy percent of the district chose to attend school in-person, the other thirty percent are doing virtual learning.

The district has approximately 10,400 students, and as of last Friday, approximately 40 students have tested positive for COVID-19 since the district began in-person learning late August. 2 staff members and 5 students during that previous week had tested positive, an additional 157 students were under quarantine due to close contact.

----Mason is somewhat unique in that it's early childhood center, elementary, middle schools, and high school are on the same complex - though they have prevented staff and students from traveling in between the individual schools.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Attachment 16654
    I have no doubt preventative measures such as mask wearing prevent the spread of COVID.

But that's an odd way to measure things. "Who know someone with COVID symptoms?" Huh? There has to be a better way.

15. Likes:

BernieCarbo (10-24-2020),Coopdaddy67 (10-24-2020),Falls City Beer (10-24-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Mason City Schools, the largest in Warren County Ohio for example publishes data every week on COVID...

Seventy percent of the district chose to attend school in-person, the other thirty percent are doing virtual learning.

The district has approximately 10,400 students, and as of last Friday, approximately 40 students have tested positive for COVID-19 since the district began in-person learning late August. 2 staff members and 5 students during that previous week had tested positive, an additional 157 students were under quarantine due to close contact.

----Mason is somewhat unique in that it's early childhood center, elementary, middle schools, and high school are on the same complex - though they have prevented staff and students from traveling in between the individual schools.
    Slight correction.... Mason Early Childhood Center (K-2) is about 2 miles from the main campus with high school, middle school, intermediate, and elementary schools (MHS 9-12, MMS 7-8, MI 5-6, ME 3-4).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Attachment 16654
    >% who know someone with Covid symptoms
    >% wearing masks in public most or all the time

I'm not doubting your sourcing, I'd just add that this is a stupid chart and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

Covid is serious on both ends. People are dying and people are losing their livelihoods. Charts about who knows someone who might have covid symptoms is bad info that just shouldn't be shared. It serves no purpose other than to push a narrative.

18. Likes:

BernieCarbo (10-24-2020),Falls City Beer (10-24-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

I'll add that I had Covid symptoms last week, but it turns out it was allergies. Heh, living in the South.

Turn Off Ads?