Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    What you believe is not reality. You have no clue what it’s like. It’s pretty obvious you don’t have kids that are remote learning right now. Real life is a lot different than what you’re trying to portray.
    I live in a reality of choices and consequences. That's the reality you live in too. Feel free to attempt to explain to me what your "reality" is, but be prepared for me to drive back to the choices you've made that makes it so.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I live in a reality of choices and consequences. That's the reality you live in too. Feel free to attempt to explain to me what your "reality" is, but be prepared for me to drive back to the choices you've made that makes it so.
    I’m guessing you either have no kids, have never met a kid, or your kids are grown and out of the house.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What you believe is not reality. You have no clue what it’s like. It’s pretty obvious you don’t have kids that are remote learning right now. Real life is a lot different than what you’re trying to portray.
    I have no kids. I know a lot of people with kids.

Almost all of them want the kids back in school because it means that the parents can go back to "normal work" and have a "break" from literal 24-7 parenting. One family has children that are special needs. Their kids didn't do the virtual learning well at all - they just couldn't adjust to the computer side of learning. Everyone else? The parents just wanted a break and to be able to work their jobs without also having to be a sort of teacher and have the kids also in the house all day (all of these children are 11 or under).

That's the reality of the people I know with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have no kids. I know a lot of people with kids.

Almost all of them want the kids back in school because it means that the parents can go back to "normal work" and have a "break" from literal 24-7 parenting. One family has children that are special needs. Their kids didn't do the virtual learning well at all - they just couldn't adjust to the computer side of learning. Everyone else? The parents just wanted a break and to be able to work their jobs without also having to be a sort of teacher and have the kids also in the house all day (all of these children are 11 or under).

That's the reality of the people I know with kids.
    Good feedback. And common. Our best friends have 2 special needs children which makes it’s very challenging. It’s extremely difficult trying to work your regular job while trying to do remote learning. It’s 2 full-time jobs. I’m really patient with kids, but teaching your own children is incredibly challenging. Parents aren’t school teachers. Personally, I teach approximately 300 kids a year, but teaching “school” to your own children is a completely different animal. Yes, we need a break from our kids, but much more importantly, we want our kids to get a great education. And we, as parents, haven’t been educated on how to that properly. .
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I also don't buy that the parents of non-home-schooled youth can't sell their children on there being a good reason for not attending classes in person. A pandemic is a pretty good reason. Maybe not as good as a zombie apocalypse or nuclear fallout, but still a pretty good reason.

I don't think that. That's a strawman. It's just that in this case, I believe the primary issue is parents' unwillingness to adapt that's the central issue driving the desire to get kids back in classrooms.
    I think I understand you now. You feel parents in certain cases are not creating enough agency with distance learning.
    That may be the case, but I think another aspect to the forced distance learning is how long it will go on. Parents don’t know how long, so they can’t help their kids with their concept of when “normal” is restored.

I’m guessing you either have no kids, have never met a kid, or your kids are grown and out of the house.
    As I'm sure you know, all of that is completely irrelevant.

Good feedback. And common. Our best friends have 2 special needs children which makes it’s very challenging. It’s extremely difficult trying to work your regular job while trying to do remote learning. It’s 2 full-time jobs. I’m really patient with kids, but teaching your own children is incredibly challenging. Parents aren’t school teachers. Personally, I teach approximately 300 kids a year, but teaching “school” to your own children is a completely different animal. Yes, we need a break from our kids, but much more importantly, we want our kids to get a great education. And we, as parents, haven’t been educated on how to that properly.
    Why did you not choose to educate yourself on how to adapt your teaching style to better engage your own children?

And despite your desire (it's not a "need") to take a break from your kids, if you don't feel that's option, it's a result of your own decisions.

All I'm reading above is "It's tough." Yeah, I'm sure. You chose to have children, so there's a lot of "tough" involved. You signed up for that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ohio sure has changed if someone can grow up there and at least not once heard about 4H
    4H and Future Business Leaders of America was all the rage at my high school.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    4H and Future Business Leaders of America was all the rage at my high school.
    What a bunch of nerds. Having plans and hopes for the future. (please note that this is very sarcastic)

10. Likes:

Stray (10-20-2020)

Good feedback. And common. Our best friends have 2 special needs children which makes it’s very challenging. It’s extremely difficult trying to work your regular job while trying to do remote learning. It’s 2 full-time jobs. I’m really patient with kids, but teaching your own children is incredibly challenging. Parents aren’t school teachers. Personally, I teach approximately 300 kids a year, but teaching “school” to your own children is a completely different animal. Yes, we need a break from our kids, but much more importantly, we want our kids to get a great education. And we, as parents, haven’t been educated on how to that properly. .
    I think I located the core of our disagreement, and it's based on a misunderstanding.

When I discuss on-line learning I am discussing the schools using an online platform for teachers to teach students virtually. I am not discussing parents teaching their own children. The latter was necessary for a brief time, as schools figured out how to implement the former. Now, every district should be at a stage where they can offer every student the latter and the former should be unnecessary.

So I think we are in agreement. Parents teaching their children is a terrible option, and only used as a last, emergency option. But that shouldn't even be an option at this point.

I also want to bring up a discussion I had today with another special ed teacher. She hates both options right now, between her teaching her students virtually, and teaching in person.

Virtually it's difficult to maintain order and keep the students focused. It's nearly impossible to be an authority figure when you are just a face on a video screen and the students are all just boxes on your screen.

In person, everyone is wearing a mask, which makes communication much more difficult. So much of teaching is using facial expressions, smiles, frowns, frustration, warmth, etc., and she can't do any of that with a mask on. She also has a hard time reading the students emotional and mental states when they are wearing masks. In her words, "it all feels so creepy and unattached."

I am hearing a lot of this. That there are no good options right now. Whatever method is chosen, it's not as good as it was pre-covid. I don't think we are going to get back to that for awhile too, which is quite disconcerting.
    Last edited by 757690; 10-20-2020 at 12:59 AM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Ohio has reported about 1,750 student cases and nearly 1,000 for staff, in the state's K-12 schools, since the state started posting the data in early September. Last Thursday they reported nearly 600 new cases, from the week prior.
    I think we are seeing that community spread drives K-12 cases to rise and not the other way around as people feared. Get the overall numbers down and there should be no reason to keep healthy kids at home.

As I'm sure you know, all of that is completely irrelevant.
    I gave you an irrelevant answer on purpose since you threatened to drive back.

Even though you’re assuming a lot about remote learning (again, it’s not home-schooling) and parenting for that matter, it’s clear you have no empathy and aren’t open-minded enough to even consider other people’s experiences, feelings and opinions. In this thread you've called me a liar, have inferred that I'm a bad parent and have talked down to me. Since I no longer have respect for you, I see no point wasting any more of my time trying to debate you.
    Last edited by Redhook; 10-20-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

14. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (10-20-2020),Sea Ray (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think I located the core of our disagreement, and it's based on a misunderstanding.

When I discuss on-line learning I am discussing the schools using an online platform for teachers to teach students virtually. I am not discussing parents teaching their own children. The latter was necessary for a brief time, as schools figured out how to implement the former. Now, every district should be at a stage where they can offer every student the latter and the former should be unnecessary.

So I think we are in agreement. Parents teaching their children is a terrible option, and only used as a last, emergency option. But that shouldn't even be an option at this point.
    Agree 100%. There are so many problems with remote learning, at least where we are and parents are still doing a ton of teaching. Not that we shouldn’t be present in our child’s education, but we’re taking on the brunt of it. The spring was a complete mess for obvious reasons. But, the last 2 months have been tough as well.

My kids and pretty much everyone else have been in a hybrid model. They go to school 2 days a week, do work at home the other 2 and everyone has Zoom calls on Friday’s. Friday’s are decent because they have time with their teachers. It’s the 2 days at home that are difficult. For example, my daughter can’t read her math questions. They’re worded a few levels about her grade level for reading. So, my wife or I have to read every question to her. Then, we have to assist with every answer so she can complete it. It’s definitely not something she can do on her own and she struggles to answer most questions by herself. Another problem is the computers. There’s so many different log in’s, passwords, portals, etc. Not easy to navigate. And, heaven forbid if your child leaves the charger at school and the computer’s battery dies at home. Then, sometimes the computer won’t recognize an answer or it didn’t save the answers so you have to start all over to receive the credit or to move on to the next page/level. There’s just a lot crying at home.....kids and parents...lol.

I also want to bring up a discussion I had today with another special ed teacher. She hates both options right now, between her teaching her students virtually, and teaching in person.

Virtually it's difficult to maintain order and keep the students focused. It's nearly impossible to be an authority figure when you are just a face on a video screen and the students are all just boxes on your screen.

In person, everyone is wearing a mask, which makes communication much more difficult. So much of teaching is using facial expressions, smiles, frowns, frustration, warmth, etc., and she can't do any of that with a mask on. She also has a hard time reading the students emotional and mental states when they are wearing masks. In her words, "it all feels so creepy and unattached."

I am hearing a lot of this. That there are no good options right now. Whatever method is chosen, it's not as good as it was pre-covid. I don't think we are going to get back to that for awhile too, which is quite disconcerting.
    Absolutely. I tried a few Zoom calls myself and found it difficult. With all those faces looking back at you, you can’t tell who’s engaged, etc. Masks are obviously tough too. It’s nearly impossible to read expressions and it’s really hard to hear what they’re saying.

We’re lucky, at least for a little while. Our kids started back full-time yesterday (masks worn at all times). My son had an awesome time. His 5th grade was split into cohorts. All of his close friends were in the other cohort so he hasn’t seen them in months. Yesterday, for the first time in awhile, he got to interact with them and play football with them at recess. It was great day for him. He was so happy after school.

nm
    Last edited by Redhook; 10-20-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: oops

Absolutely. I tried a few Zoom calls myself and found it difficult. With all those faces looking back at you, you can’t tell who’s engaged, etc. Masks are obviously tough too. It’s nearly impossible to read expressions and it’s really hard to hear what they’re saying.
    For work or other endeavors?

My current team is all in Seattle, I'm always remote, now we all are remote.

I have no issues with it myself, I prefer to go no video if we are working. But we are a "digital" group, we are using this time to strengthen our own platforms which means incorporating Zoom technology so we have to leverage it more ourselves too.

That doesn't mean that some don't miss the human interactions, my team schedules things like 'Team Game night," "Happy Hour" and all that stuff so that they can reconnect and feel like they did when they were in the office (Which I always thought was mainly clannish, insular and hard to penetrate) it's then they use video more so and yes it's not that great, Hollywood Squares, bad angles.

I can see use of it for schooling as an issue, so many kids. I have a couple friends who are grade school teachers and are remoting the classes from their homes and they have challenges (IE one 2nd grade teacher had to set up a room with materials to display she has two kids (5 and 8) lives in a small house and well it's hard to manage. Probably would work better for a limited audience as opposed to twenty kids.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    For work or other endeavors?

My current team is all in Seattle, I'm always remote, now we all are remote.

I have no issues with it myself, I prefer to go no video if we are working. But we are a "digital" group, we are using this time to strengthen our own platforms which means incorporating Zoom technology so we have to leverage it more ourselves too.

That doesn't mean that some don't miss the human interactions, my team schedules things like 'Team Game night," "Happy Hour" and all that stuff so that they can reconnect and feel like they did when they were in the office (Which I always thought was mainly clannish, insular and hard to penetrate) it's then they use video more so and yes it's not that great, Hollywood Squares, bad angles.

I can see use of it for schooling as an issue, so many kids. I have a couple friends who are grade school teachers and are remoting the classes from their homes and they have challenges (IE one 2nd grade teacher had to set up a room with materials to display she has two kids (5 and 8) lives in a small house and well it's hard to manage. Probably would work better for a limited audience as opposed to twenty kids.
    It was work and with kids. I had 12-16 each time. It’s challenging with kids, at least the younger ones. For the teens, it’s much easier. With adults, I’ve only had individual Zoom calls and they’re easy and effective.

Turn Off Ads?