Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Also there's no high ceilings or big rooms in the back at Wal-Mart. It's tiny rooms and hallways where pallets of freight are lined. Hallways so tight you'll routinely see palettes being pulled through the store because there's no room in those hallways for them to fit. And when you're on the sales floor customers are all over you. There's no yeah but I'd rather work at Wal-Mart in a pandemic. There's nothing that works here.
    This designation of some poor lumpen as “essential” and others not is purely arbitrary. The safety “precautions“ at Kroger and Walmart could be extended to any place of work. The middle class just didn’t want to nut up.

2. Likes:

Rojo (10-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This designation of some poor lumpen as “essential” and others not is purely arbitrary. The safety “precautions“ at Kroger and Walmart could be extended to any place of work. The middle class just didn’t want to nut up.
    Fwiw, Walmart and Kroger haven't done much besides add some sanitation and recommend masks. The companies I work for have done things like adding UV filtration in the air ducts and do 100% temperature checks, and the ones that have done that have not had a single positive case. Schools could do the same thing (the UV filters) and it doesn't even cost much, and they have had months to prepare, but they don't have the engineering or expertise to even know where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    About 2 million children per year are home schooled. They don't seem to turn into socially and developmentally compromised adults en masse. Students who attend schools with summer breaks spend around 2.75 years during their K-12 years not attending classes. No one seems to complain about that either.

Hmn.
    Well, even home schooled kids do things like go to ball games, join 4H, go to camps, etc, none of which are viable options right now with lots of restrictions and limited social interaction. Kids are cooped up now more than they have ever been.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, even home schooled kids do things like go to ball games, join 4H, go to camps, etc, none of which are viable options right now with lots of restrictions and limited social interaction. Kids are cooped up now more than they have ever been.
    I don't know what 4H is, but here in Ohio ball games are and have been played all summer/fall. At least some camps were open and operational over the summer. People, for the most part, haven't been living like me and just not going out unless it's essential.

Ohio sure has changed if someone can grow up there and at least not once heard about 4H

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-19-2020),BernieCarbo (10-19-2020),kaldaniels (10-19-2020),mth123 (10-19-2020),redhawkfish (10-19-2020),Stray (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    ohio sure has changed if someone can grow up there and at least not once heard about 4h
    what is it

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    what is it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-H

The goal of 4-H is to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills of youth through experiential learning programs and a positive youth development approach. Though typically thought of as an agriculturally focused organization as a result of its history, 4-H today focuses on citizenship, healthy living, science, engineering, and technology programs.

I don't know what 4H is, but here in Ohio ball games are and have been played all summer/fall. At least some camps were open and operational over the summer. People, for the most part, haven't been living like me and just not going out unless it's essential.
    I meant going to ballgames such as the Reds and Indians.

If you had kids, you would see a huge difference between this year and all other years, not to mention the first two months when there was a shelter in place order.

If you had kids, you would see a huge difference between this year and all other years, not to mention the first two months when there was a shelter in place order.
    My man, we're all seeing a huge difference this year compared to literally any other year of our lives. It sucks. I don't need to have kids to understand that. But the post came off as some "locked the doors, didn't go outside at all" kind of thing, and that's just not the reality I saw. It was different than "normal". But it wasn't prison.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nope. Never heard of it, never knew of anyone that was involved in it..... it's possible I'm just the weirdo outlier here, too.

My man, we're all seeing a huge difference this year compared to literally any other year of our lives. It sucks. I don't need to have kids to understand that. But the post came off as some "locked the doors, didn't go outside at all" kind of thing, and that's just not the reality I saw. It was different than "normal". But it wasn't prison.
    No, I didn't say the doors were locked and they didn't go out at all. But socialization was much less, and virtual learning is a joke. They really have been cooped up more than they have ever been.

Fwiw, Walmart and Kroger haven't done much besides add some sanitation and recommend masks. The companies I work for have done things like adding UV filtration in the air ducts and do 100% temperature checks, and the ones that have done that have not had a single positive case. Schools could do the same thing (the UV filters) and it doesn't even cost much, and they have had months to prepare, but they don't have the engineering or expertise to even know where to begin.
    That was sort of my point. We threw the label “essential” on them and fed em to the wolves. Which is why this concern for worker safety is mostly just bs.

17. Likes:

Rojo (10-22-2020)

No, I didn't say the doors were locked and they didn't go out at all. But socialization was much less, and virtual learning is a joke. They really have been cooped up more than they have ever been.
    Everyone has been cooped up more than ever. This is a once in hundred year event we're dealing with. It sucks.

Virtual learning sucks. It's better than no learning. Let's just be glad that we're living through this with the ability to virtually learn, instead of it being 1955 and we didn't have that ability.

19. Likes:

757690 (10-19-2020)

Everyone has been cooped up more than ever. This is a once in hundred year event we're dealing with. It sucks.

Virtual learning sucks. It's better than no learning. Let's just be glad that we're living through this with the ability to virtually learn, instead of it being 1955 and we didn't have that ability.
    I get all that. Just saying that anyone who thinks that kids are not being harmed by the lack of socialization is nuts. In fact, if you are in high school, learning isn't even the reason many of them want to go to school. They want to meet people, build relationships, and some just want to get away from abusive households. Luckily many schools realize this and are doing what they can to get kids going again in person. Not everything can be done remotely.

Turn Off Ads?