Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 1006

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

  1. #706
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,380

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I get all that. Just saying that anyone who thinks that kids are not being harmed by the lack of socialization is nuts. In fact, if you are in high school, learning isn't even the reason many of them want to go to school. They want to meet people, build relationships, and some just want to get away from abusive households. Luckily many schools realize this and are doing what they can to get kids going again in person. Not everything can be done remotely.
    Literally no one on this board is arguing that kids aren’t being harmed by the lack of socialization. Everyone wants students back in schools.

    The only debate is how to do this safely for everyone involved.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #707
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Literally no one on this board is arguing that kids aren’t being harmed by the lack of socialization. Everyone wants students back in schools.

    The only debate is how to do this safely for everyone involved.
    I only commented at all because someone tried to make the point that the 2 million home schooled kids turn out ok, as though homeschooling is somehow comparable to what we have now and they don't take part in social activities such as the ones I mentioned.

  4. #708
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I get all that. Just saying that anyone who thinks that kids are not being harmed by the lack of socialization is nuts. In fact, if you are in high school, learning isn't even the reason many of them want to go to school. They want to meet people, build relationships, and some just want to get away from abusive households. Luckily many schools realize this and are doing what they can to get kids going again in person. Not everything can be done remotely.
    Is anyone actually presenting the idea that we aren't all being a little bit messed up by this?

  5. #709
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is anyone actually presenting the idea that we aren't all being a little bit messed up by this?
    No, nor did I infer that.

  6. #710
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    No, nor did I infer that.
    So you just decided to mention that no one is nuts in your response then?

  7. #711
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So you just decided to mention that no one is nuts in your response then?
    Again, my original comment was in response to a comparison to home schooling, which inferred that they also don't have social interaction at school and that "they aren't developmentally compromised". Just pointing out that a comparison of home schooling and kids being separated from their friends for a few months is not valid.

  8. #712
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,896

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, even home schooled kids do things like go to ball games, join 4H, go to camps, etc, none of which are viable options right now with lots of restrictions and limited social interaction. Kids are cooped up now more than they have ever been.
    And yet, not a single person has been demanding that things like camps or sporting events be opened up to specifically support the two million home-schooled youth of America. Because it'd be a smokescreen, just like the idea that young people will be irreparably damaged by being out of in-person classrooms for a few months in which they'd have the same "social" opportunities that home-schooled youngsters currently have.

    It's akin to a poor non-masker excuse that breathing in their own carbon dioxide will cause them to pass out. But if pressed, they can't seem to produce evidence that surgeons and nurses are dropping like flies during surgery.

    I also completely disagree that today's children have fewer socialization opportunities than ever before, particularly when isolated from in-person contact. Cell phones. Online gaming. Video chat. You want isolation? Grow up on a farm in the winter during the 1960's or 70's.

    The underlying concern with distance learning centers around costs and decisions that would be required for parents to replicate a home-school environment. That really needs to be brought out from behind the proverbial curtain, but it's not because "OMG, BUT the KIDS!!" gets more play.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  9. #713
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    And yet, not a single person has been demanding that things like camps or sporting events be opened up to specifically support the two million home-schooled youth of America. Because it'd be a smokescreen, just like the idea that young people will be irreparably damaged by being out of in-person classrooms for a few months in which they'd have the same "social" opportunities that home-schooled youngsters currently have..
    Homeschooling is not similar to remote learning.

  10. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (10-20-2020),Falls City Beer (10-19-2020),Rdirtypirates (10-19-2020)

  11. #714
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    One thing the government hasn't been able to censor or outlaw during COVID-19, thankfully, is our ability to thin-slice an argument so fine that you can vehemently disagree with people who you agree with. Once they start banning anti-socialization, as a society, we're done.

  12. #715
    Moderator Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Ohio has reported about 1,750 student cases and nearly 1,000 for staff, in the state's K-12 schools, since the state started posting the data in early September. Last Thursday they reported nearly 600 new cases, from the week prior.

  13. #716
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,896

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Homeschooling is not similar to remote learning.
    Then feel free to describe why you feel that the social isolation experienced by normally-in-classroom students is altogether different from that of home-schooled students.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  14. #717
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Then feel free to describe why you feel that the social isolation experienced by normally-in-classroom students is altogether different from that of home-schooled students.
    The difference is that normally-in-classroom students are out of a familiar normative experience due to a health emergency, not by choice, while home schooled students are aware that they are doing non-institutional learning for a certain reason ( maybe one that is explained to them or maybe one that is dictated to them).
    I am curious why you think that all social isolation is comparable, whatever the different rationales are for the isolation.
    Last edited by Betterread; 10-19-2020 at 10:22 PM.

  15. #718
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    106

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    No children at the 4H club?! Am I so out of touch?

    ...no, it's the children who are wrong.

  16. #719
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,896

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The difference is that normally-in-classroom students are out of a familiar normative experience due to a health emergency, not by choice, while home schooled students are aware that they are doing non-institutional learning for a certain reason ( maybe one that is explained to them or maybe one that is dictated to them).
    I can buy that children who have experienced home schooling over time would be more acclimated to a socially-distant environment. But I do not buy that all other children are so change-averse or unadaptable as to render them irreversibly damaged should they not be able to attend in-person classes for a few months when home-schooled youth are more than capable of handling a socially-distant environment for the bulk of their formative years.

    I also don't buy that the parents of non-home-schooled youth can't sell their children on there being a good reason for not attending classes in person. A pandemic is a pretty good reason. Maybe not as good as a zombie apocalypse or nuclear fallout, but still a pretty good reason.

    I am curious why you think that all social isolation is comparable, whatever the different rationales are for the isolation.
    I don't think that. That's a strawman. It's just that in this case, I believe the primary issue is parents' unwillingness to adapt that's the central issue driving the desire to get kids back in classrooms.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  17. #720
    Member Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,335

    Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's just that in this case, I believe the primary issue is parents' unwillingness to adapt that's the central issue driving the desire to get kids back in classrooms.
    What you believe is not reality. You have no clue what it’s like. It’s pretty obvious you don’t have kids that are remote learning right now. Real life is a lot different than what you’re trying to portray.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

  18. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (10-20-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator