Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    FTFY.

**I don’t mean to single you out, but I think the above doctored quote represents most science deniers. Not just COVID, but anything scientists are ringing alarms on and people decide to ignore. I think COVID and climate change are very similar in this regard. People don’t like to listen to scientists/experts when it is personally inconvenient.
    It cuts both way. There are many scientists who recommend a different course, but their cut out of the "discussion" we're not having.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So I think we're all clear. Covid-19 was hysteria.

I mean you could NOT believe that. But clearly that would make you an idiot on the level of believing the Russians made Trump President.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I wouldn't even do that. By the day, it seems clear that Covid is a very serious disease for people who are already very sick, but virtually harmless for the rest of us (99%).
    A reminder.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10...iling-schools/

Most schools hoped this fall would see students make up academic ground lost last spring when the pandemic hit. Instead, districts are looking for ways to reverse plummeting grades and attendance among students learning at home.

I know a lot of you will just skip everything I post, but oh well,

Sweden didn't socially distance:

https://mises.org/power-market/googl...ther-countries

As is often pointed out by prolockdown publications like the New York Times, Sweden has experienced covid-19 deaths at a rate above that of some of its neighbors that imposed relatively strict lockdowns, such as Denmark.

What is rarely mentioned, however, is that Sweden's deaths per million are also similar to or lower than many countries that did impose harsh lockdowns. For example, as of October 18, the deaths per million in the United Kingdom were 643 in the UK for only 585 in Sweden. Meanwhile, Belgium's death rate was 897 per million, and Italy's rate was 606. Moreover, while cases and deaths are increasing in the UK, Spain, Italy, and Belgium, deaths are apparently flatlining in Sweden. Sweden has reported fewer than ten deaths in the past week.

Clearly, this trend calls into question the official narrative, which is that any country without harsh lockdowns will experience far higher death rates than the countries that lock down.

My Covid scepticism doesn't extend to "Plandemic" or "Hoax"

But I have to ask why the "new normal" or "Great Reset" talk.

https://www.weforum.org/great-reset/

I mean, it's a flu.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    FTFY.

**I don’t mean to single you out, but I think the above doctored quote represents most science deniers. Not just COVID, but anything scientists are ringing alarms on and people decide to ignore. I think COVID and climate change are very similar in this regard. People don’t like to listen to scientists/experts when it is personally inconvenient.
    I don't disagree, and it works both ways depending on the topic, but that's the whole point of politics, to turn facts into narratives.

With the Pandemic we have concrete numbers updated daily. There's no reason for anyone not to form their own opinion here. All the info you need is readily available.

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-25-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So I think we're all clear. Covid-19 was hysteria.

I mean you could NOT believe that. But clearly that would make you an idiot on the level of believing the Russians made Trump President.

What planet do you live on, man?

Covid is bad, it's like two times worse than a horrible flu season to date, WITH preventative measures. But it's still just mostly lethal to a small vulnerable group of Americans.

I don't doubt that Covid sucks and is dangerous, I disagree with shutting America down to fight it. That never did and still doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Covid is bad, it's like two times worse than a horri

ble flu season to date, WITH preventative measures. But it's still just mostly lethal to a small vulnerable group of America
    Of course we all know this.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    [IMGt
    What planet do you live on, man?
    The non-ridiculous planet.

Of course we all know this.
    I don't think we do.

Name:  092A7078-0D16-48B9-BB0C-B8378D95C601.jpeg
Views: 201
Size:  274.2 KB

Another 6 week strict lockdown. For a country that already bent the curve.

I think you guys downplaying COVID are just as silly as the folks I see wearing masks, alone, in their cars.

But if I may put my tin-foil hat on for just a moment, I was thinking of something the other day:

We've heard some of the demographics of who are the most vulnerable.
    Health-wise it's the immuno-compromised.
    Ethnicity-wise it's black people and latinos.
    Income-wise, it's poor people.

But in regard to age? It's the Boomers again. They seem to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Which age group is in power, and which age group is the most nervous about getting sick/dying from COVID?

Here's my question: Would we have shut down the country if it was instead mostly millennials getting sick and dying?

I don't think we would have. Maybe would have switched to remote learning and canceled all sports that don't generate revenue. That's as far as I think we would have gone.

My tin-foil feeling is that our nation's reactions to COVID are being driven by the Baby Boomer's last gasp reflex to self-protect themselves, "to hell with the rest of the world".

I'll put it this way. If there was a way to extract life from babies and inject it into ourselves to prolong a healthy life, we'd be living in an even crazier sci-fi/horror movie than the one we're living in now. No question, if that was an option, that button would be pushed by quite a few.

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-25-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?