Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

The most remarkable thing to me is the Antifa people who are full on Covid bull****.

I want them to explain to me what they think "fascism" entails.

Attachment 16537

2. Turn Off Ads?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...14-p55vm0.html

People suspected by health authorities of being likely to spread the virus if they are COVID-positive or a close contact of an infected person could be forcibly detained if the bill is passed.

The rules, confirmed to The Age by a state government spokesman, could be applied to conspiracy theorists who refuse to self-isolate or severely drug-affected or mentally impaired people who do not have the capacity to quarantine.

Cool that we killed cinemas for no damn reason.

https://bookandfilmglobe.com/film/wh...r-covid-cases/

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...op-of-covid-19
    This year's flu season in the Southern Hemisphere was weirdly mild.

A surprisingly small number of people in the Southern Hemisphere have gotten the flu this year, probably because the public health measures put in place to fight COVID-19 have also limited the spread of influenza.

That makes public health experts hopeful that the U. S. and other northern countries might be spared the double whammy of COVID-19 and a bad flu season this winter.

I was hoping for the same thing.

We're taking these measures against something that is very contagious. I would think that would strike quite a blow against other much less contagious viruses.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Cool that we killed cinemas for no damn reason.

https://bookandfilmglobe.com/film/wh...r-covid-cases/
    Seems like it would be pretty hard to trace something back to a movie theatre. Also, not seeing how going to see a movie would be any different than other indoor activities like restaurants. And neither are as bad as bars.

2020 sucks.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Seems like it would be pretty hard to trace something back to a movie theatre. Also, not seeing how going to see a movie would be any different than other indoor activities like restaurants. And neither are as bad as bars.

2020 sucks.
    You either support collateral damage or not. Rojo and I get called psychopaths for saying we should re-open the entire country with strong quarantine for elderly homes. You lockdown-the-world folks gotta pocket all these businesses collapsing, homelessness, suicide, increased drug abuse, starvation around the world—you know, those *other* entirely preventable negative outcomes. So cry no tears for the cinema biz. This is your preferred outcome.

9. Likes:

Rojo (09-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You either support collateral damage or not. Rojo and I get called psychopaths for saying we should re-open the entire country with strong quarantine for elderly homes. You lockdown-the-world folks gotta pocket all these businesses collapsing, homelessness, suicide, increased drug abuse, starvation around the world—you know, those *other* entirely preventable negative outcomes. So cry no tears for the cinema biz. This is your preferred outcome.
    We have opened up nearly completely. We have opened up movie theaters and restaurants, but with restrictions and protocols that are based on the knowledge we acquired over the first few months of this pandemic. If we had opened up earlier, we wouldn’t have known what protocols and restrictions to put into place, and it’s highly likely, no nearly certain that the pandemic would have gotten significantly worse.

And one thing you are ignoring is that we are one of the few countries that still has a high number of new cases and deaths every week. So the data is telling us that we actually are too open right now, that we are being too reckless.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Along those lines...I mentioned pushing a vaccine forward. Maybe you, rojo, and others support that. Maybe you don’t. (I’d bet not) But it’s a possible solution. And the response I got was “it could create zombies.”

Well then, what do people suggest we do right now? 1500 people have died of COVID since I posted that a few days ago.

No one (as in enough needed) is going to follow lockdowns unless it is enforced militarily...I don’t think we want that. What do we want? How do we end this? I don’t think the answer is everyone “mask up” or “avoid crowds” cause while that could work in theory, it’s not going to happen voluntarily.

“But others countries handled it.” - ok but we are here in a mess now.

We are in a rut. What do we do?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What do we want?
    Flatten the curve. I think we generally have, no? Is the health care system currently overwhelmed? Perhaps it is somewhere, but I'm not aware of it.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-20-2020),Rojo (09-23-2020),Tony Cloninger (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Flatten the curve. I think we generally have, no? Is the health care system currently overwhelmed? Perhaps it is somewhere, but I'm not aware of it.
    Flatten the curve is not a solution. A 9/11 death count is occurring every week. We want this to end. How?

I’m listening with all ears.

I don't think it's going to end pre-vaccine. In the meantime, flatten the curve. Which, again, I think we've generally done.

16. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Along those lines...I mentioned pushing a vaccine forward. Maybe you, rojo, and others support that. Maybe you don’t. (I’d bet not) But it’s a possible solution. And the response I got was “it could create zombies.”

Well then, what do people suggest we do right now? 1500 people have died of COVID since I posted that a few days ago.

No one (as in enough needed) is going to follow lockdowns unless it is enforced militarily...I don’t think we want that. What do we want? How do we end this? I don’t think the answer is everyone “mask up” or “avoid crowds” cause while that could work in theory, it’s not going to happen voluntarily.

“But others countries handled it.” - ok but we are here in a mess now.

We are in a rut. What do we do?
    We have absolutely no idea when a vaccine will be available, if ever. That’s simply the truth right now. No one knows. And if they say they do, they’re lying.

So stop scaring the hell out of people with constant breaking news chyrons which inaccurately portray deaths rising in this country, and literally open everything. Mask up, quarantine elderly, and get everyone back to work.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-20-2020 at 06:27 PM.

18. Likes:

Rojo (09-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think it's going to end pre-vaccine. In the meantime, flatten the curve. Which, again, I think we've generally done.
    So how long do we wait? There are allegedly millions of vaccines made right now. 50k or so have already got them as part of studies.

One person died while I’m typing this.

Do you want to wait the 2 years to ensure they are zombie-proof?

We have absolutely no idea when a vaccine will be available, if ever. That’s simply the truth right now. No one knows. And if they say they do, they’re lying.
    Available? No.

But it’s my understanding in addition to study doses, Pfizer and others are producing vaccines right now (at financial risk...whatever) as we speak. They are there. When do we unleash them to the vulnerable. I’m not saying today, but preliminary trial numbers should be coming in really soon.

Turn Off Ads?