Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    10,511 people died from drunk driving last year. So, no.
    Yeah, probably about right. I can’t imagine the perfectly healthy under 60 crowd in America exceeds those numbers.

24,000 people under 60 have died of Covid (out of 200,000) in the US. There’s no delineation I can see in those statistics of who had underlying health problems, but I’m guessing well more than 50%.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-26-2020 at 09:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, probably about right. I can’t imagine the perfectly healthy under 60 crowd in America exceeds those numbers.

24,000 people under 60 have died of Covid (out of 200,000) in the US. There’s no delineation I can see in those statistics of who had underlying health problems, but I’m guessing well more than 50%.
    I am guessing far more people drove drunk last year than had Covid this year. That’s the number that counts. The percentage of those that got Covid and died vs. the percentage of those that drove drunk and died.

The reason why your phrasing is problematic is because the odds of anyone dying from Covid is virtually none. 200K out of 320M. 0.0006 chance. We want to look at the percentage of those that had the disease and then died only.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

So what makes anyone think the government is interested in their health?

The government that colluded with Wall Street to ship your job overseas? The government that leverage the death of 3000 Americans on 9/11 to launch two wars that profited defense contractors, Gulf State monarchies and Israel?

The government that told everyone they were safe at Ground Zero -- no masks necessary, but now say we need masks in city parks for a disease with a 99.8% survival rate?

The government that rescued Wall Street bankers and their bonuses but allow the black wealth disappear down the toilet.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/12/o...lth-inequality

The Obama presidency was a disaster for middle-class wealth in the United States. Between 2007 and 2016, the average wealth of the bottom 99 percent dropped by $4,500. Over the same period, the average wealth of the top 1 percent rose by $4.9 million.

This drop hit the housing wealth of African Americans particularly hard. Outside of home equity, black wealth recovered its 2007 level by 2016. But average black home equity was still $16,700 lower.

Much of this decline, we will argue, can be laid at the feet of President Obama. His housing policies led directly to millions of families losing their homes. What’s more, Obama had the power — money, legislative tools, and legal leverage — to sharply ameliorate the foreclosure crisis.

He chose not to use it.

A total pig.

I know a lot of people on the Left think of Covid-fascism as some sort of social solidarity thing. No, this is wrong. It's individualistic, bombshelter capitalism.

The capitalist creeps don't want us to talk in bars and coffee shops and meeting halls. I used to meet monthly at DSA meetings leading up to this Pandemic. That's now a thing of the past.

Covid-19 we now know has a 99.8% survival rate. If we're willing to shred hard-won civil liberties -- the right to assembly, the right to worship, free speech, the right to, god-dammit, go outside, for a such a low bar, that basically means there's no bar.

I've never been one to fetishize civil liberties above all else, I subscribe to FDR's formulation that a "needy man is not a free man", but I civil liberties are a great tool in a world controlled by big money. And now that's getting away from us. Because of "germs".

I'm going to post it again for the uninatiated.

Last edited by Rojo; 09-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.

It's wonderful that we get to see the same three topics recycled over and over again by the pandemic denial crew:

1) Covid 19- It's really not really that real...fr' REAL!

2) OMG...Masks! Lightning round!

3) But SWEDEN- Ingen flockimmunitet ännu, men vi mår bra. Inget att se här ... snälla ignorera dödsfallet.

Very fun.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's wonderful that we get to see the same three topics recycled over and over again by the pandemic denial crew:

3) But SWEDEN- Ingen flockimmunitet ännu, men vi mår bra. Inget att se här ... snälla ignorera dödsfallet.

Very fun.
    218 people died in South Dakota from Covid.

Influenza deaths aren't a thing.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-co...%20have%20died.

So we now know the Covid survival rate is 99.8%.

We all affirmed a Lockdown regime when we thought it was much higher.

So shouldn't we now reconsider?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    218 people died in South Dakota from Covid.

Influenza deaths aren't a thing.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-co...%20have%20died.
    Yep. There's "1) Covid 19- It's really not really that real...fr' REAL!".

If you could let us all know which of the other two will be next, I'd appreciate it.

Honestly, at this point, you're like a homeless guy holding up a sign while ranting from a street corner. If you had a hat on the ground next to you, I'd be half-tempted to throw a couple bucks into it, except that I'm firmly convinced that you'd use the money to buy booze.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

How has the NFL gone a few weeks without any cases with over 3,000 being tested each week? It seems mathematically impossible. What’s really going on?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    How has the NFL gone a few weeks without any cases with over 3,000 being tested each week? It seems mathematically impossible. What’s really going on?
    Without going down the “how” rabbit hole I have to say I was just thinking, with the exception of no packed stands, it’s kinda been business as usual for the NFL. Yeah they skipped the preseason but there haven’t been any big COVID issues.

Honestly, at this point, you're like a homeless guy holding up a sign while ranting from a street corner. If you had a hat on the ground next to you, I'd be half-tempted to throw a couple bucks into it, except that I'm firmly convinced that you'd use the money to buy booze.

I mean you live in SD, so there's that.
    Last edited by Rojo; 09-27-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Yep. There's "1) Covid 19- It's really not really that real...fr' REAL!".

If you could let us all know which of the other two will be next, I'd appreciate it.

No idea what any of this means. But I never know what any of your jumble means. But I figure it's because you're from South Dakota.

But SD's governor is easy on the eyes and has done very well re: Covid.
    Last edited by Rojo; 09-27-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I mean you live in SD, so there's that.
    Wow. After what seems like a million threads about Covid-19, you finally managed to be right about something. I do live in South Dakota. Congrats?

No idea what any of this means.
    Yeah. That's pretty clear, but it applies more comprehensively than you may have intended.

--Ted Williams

15. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020)

Wow. After what seems like a million threads about Covid-19, you finally managed to be right about something. I do live in South Dakota. Congrats?

Yeah. That's pretty clear, but it applies more comprehensively than you may have intended.
    Hmmm, I think you should work on the syntax, I have no idea what any of this means.

I recently bought Fowler's, which I think a bit better than Strunk and White.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Your wish is The Rona’s command:

Falcons CB A.J. Terrell tests positive for COVID-19, placed on reserve list

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-cb-...n-reserve-list
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Very fun.
    So answer why some countries with a light touch approach are far more successful than many with strict mandates. Account for it instead of waving it away with jokes or racist assumptions.

Turn Off Ads?